IGNORED

Famicom National Referendum - Japanese fan poll results (ongoing for the system's 40th Anniversary!)

scaryice

The only thing I'm surprised with on that list is how Contra didn't have a better than a 2 point rating on there, and that kusoge mess Ikki even made the list.  Maybe it was a local flash mobbish style campaign to promote a turd for laughs.

...gee I wonder, Dragon Quest might just make that list for the next one right?  It's not like the game was so toxic to schools and jobs they had to after a point get the company to do weekend releases of that to keep up attendance. 😉

• Agree 1

This week's result:

Question #25 (12/28-1/10) - When it comes to dragons, what game comes to mind?

1 Dragon Quest 29.0
2 Dragon Buster 9.6
3 Dragon Quest III 8.2
4 Double Dragon 7.9
5 Suishou no Dragon 6.6
6 Dragon Power 5.4
7 Ninja Gaiden 3.4
8 Dragon Spirit 2.8
9 Flying Dragon 2.1
10 Fire Emblem 2.1
11 Hiryuu no Ken II 2.0
12 Legacy of the Wizard 2.0
13 Dragon Quest II 1.7
14 Sansara Naga 1.6
15 Dragon Quest IV 1.4
16 Double Dragon II 1.1
17 Dragon Scroll 1.0
18 Dragon's Lair 1.0
19 Metal Max 0.7
20 Hiryuu no Ken III 0.6

Of course Dragon Quest won. I am a bit surprised to see Dragon Buster so high.

If the title doesn't make sense, a lot of these games have dragon related names in Japanese. Like Hiryuu means "Flying Dragon" (aka Hiryuu 1). Flying Warriors is apparently a combo of both Hiryuu 2 & 3, so I just left those Japanese names in there. Sansara Naga is an rpg game bout raising dragons. Metal Max has absolutely no dragons in its title, but the game's advertising slogan was "I'm tired of slaying dragons."

Next week's question: When it comes to Japanese-style, what game comes to mind?

This is an interesting one. Maybe something like Goemon?

• Like 1

This week's result:

Question #26 (1/11-1/17) - When it comes to Japanese-style, what game comes to mind?

1 Ganbare Goemon 16.6
2 Shin Onigashima 12.1
3 Momotarou Densetsu 8.7
4 Ikki 8.2
5 Nazo no Murasame-jou 7.4
6 Getsu Fuuma Den 5.2
7 Genpei Touma Den 4.9
8 Legend of Kage 4.2
9 Ninja Jajamaru-kun 3.5
10 Toukaidou Gojuusan Tsugi 2.8
11 Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou 2.0
12 Ganbare Goemon 2 1.5
13 Nobunaga's Ambition 1.3
14 Juvei Quest 1.3
15 Mito Koumon 1.2
16 Hi no Tori 1.1
17 Zombie Nation 0.9
18 Kiki Kaikai Dotou Hen 0.7
19 Donkey Kong Jr. Math 0.7
20 Ninja-kun: Majou no Bouken 0.6
20 Youkai Douchuuki 0.6
20 Gomoku Narabe Renju 0.6

Goemon ended up being first after all. I continue to be surprised at seeing Shin Onigashima appear so often in these polls; I had no idea it was that well liked/remembered. FDS is kind of a weak spot for my Famicom knowledge.

Zombie Nation is there because the localization changed quite a bit. Not sure how to explain DK Jr. Math other than joke votes...

Next week's question: When it comes to Western-style, what game comes to mind?

Now we get the opposite question, which should be quite interesting as well. There aren't that many prominent foreign made games that were popular, so maybe some Japanese made ports could make it, like Bungeling Bay, Lode Runner, Spelunker, Ultima, and Wizardry. But if people vote based on the themes/style of the game, then a lot of things could make it. Someone on Twitter suggested Dragon Quest, and I could see that and other rpgs as well, because of how many have a medieval theme. Let's see how high something like Mother gets.

On 1/10/2024 at 10:13 PM, scaryice said:

I am a bit surprised to see Dragon Buster so high.

I wanna check that one out. I like Tower of Druaga.  

18 hours ago, scaryice said:

Question #26 (1/11-1/17) - When it comes to Japanese-style, what game comes to mind?

I would have said Kid Niki. Surprised that one is nowhere in the results. 

18 hours ago, scaryice said:

Next week's question: When it comes to Western-style, what game comes to mind?

I'll be interested to see "what comes to mind" for Japanese people with that description.

Bayou Billy. 

Edited by Link

10 hours ago, Dr. Morbis said:

For western releases, that game is pretty Japanese, but have you seen the breadth of the Famicom library?

Yes, of course I have. That was "what comes to mind" for me. I'm answering the questions, not trying to predict what the population halfway around the world where I've never been would be the #1 or a top 5 answer. I don't recall seeing your answers anywhere. What would you have said? Something kanji heavy? No, I haven't played a lot of those.

If I gave it some more time I might have said Mah-Jongg, except fuck that game, or Wagyan Land, which I think is a good answer (and a fun series of games) but also mystifies me by not being in the poll results at all. Another answer I would give is Kung Fu Spartan X (one of my personal FOATs), but as a black box release I feel like it received too much NA market attention for me to specifically say it's Japanese style. Should I change my answer to Spartan X 2? I really wish that one had a USA release.

Graphics Team · Posted

If they're leaning American for "Western-style" games, I'd imagine Hollywood movie tie-ins might rank pretty high.

But as a general observation - it seems like people abroad gravitate to "cowboy" stuff when they think of America (at least in the NES era). Not that there are many cowboy games for the NES...

[T-Pac]

15 hours ago, Link said:

Yes, of course I have. That was "what comes to mind" for me.  I'm answering the questions, not trying to predict what the population halfway around the world where I've never been would be the #1 or a top 5 answer. I don't recall seeing your answers anywhere. What would you have said? Something kanji heavy? No, I haven't played a lot of those.

You said you were "surprised" not to see Kid Niki in the results; I was offering an explanation as to why it isn't listed in a poll from a "population halfway round the world" in spite of your utter surprise 😛

For me, the most "Japanese" Famicom game I've ever played to completion is Heisei Tensai Bakabon, which is also not ranked in the poll, much like your personal pick.

On 1/17/2024 at 11:25 PM, scaryice said:

I continue to be surprised at seeing Shin Onigashima appear so often in these polls; I had no idea it was that well liked/remembered. FDS is kind of a weak spot for my Famicom knowledge.

My favorite anecdote about FDS is that Volleyball on FDS sold better than Kid Icarus, Metroid, and both Zeldas.

• Wow! 1

This week's result:

Question #27 (1/18-1/24) - When it comes to Western-style, what game comes to mind?

1 Castlevania 13.1
2 Wizardry 10.0
3 Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong 5.8
4 Goonies 4.3
5 Uncharted Waters 3.7
6 Mississippi Satsujin Jiken 3.4
7 Mother 2.9
8 Dragon's Lair 2.9
9 Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) 2.3
10 Ultima: Exodus 1.6
11 Final Fantasy 1.4
12 Raid on Bungeling Bay 1.4
13 Castlevania III 1.3
14 Ghosts 'n Goblins 1.2
15 Spy vs Spy 1.2
16 Karateka 1.1
17 Hydlide 1.0
18 Shadowgate 1.0
18 Dragon Quest 1.0
20 Spelunker 0.9
20 Popeye 0.9

Nice mix of various games represented. The mahjong game is there because the guy's name has the same kanji as in the question (洋). I wouldn't have guessed Castlevania at number one, but I get it. Although, I don't think it's as western as Goemon is Japanese. I think Mother would've been a better choice.

Next week's question: When it comes to "middle" (China), what game comes to mind?

This is kind of a hard one to translate. It asks about the kanji 中 which means middle or inside, but it's also the first kanji of the word for China. So we might see something like Super Chinese (Kung Fu Heroes) on there. Many Twitter comments were suggesting Spartan X (Kung Fu) or Yie Ar Kung Fu.

• Wow! 1

On 1/25/2024 at 3:20 PM, scaryice said:

This week's result:

Question #27 (1/18-1/24) - When it comes to Western-style, what game comes to mind?

1 Castlevania 13.1
2 Wizardry 10.0
3 Ide Yousuke Meijin no Jissen Mahjong 5.8
4 Goonies 4.3
5 Uncharted Waters 3.7
6 Mississippi Satsujin Jiken 3.4
7 Mother 2.9
8 Dragon's Lair 2.9
9 Super Mario Bros. 2 (USA) 2.3
10 Ultima: Exodus 1.6
11 Final Fantasy 1.4
12 Raid on Bungeling Bay 1.4
13 Castlevania III 1.3
14 Ghosts 'n Goblins 1.2
15 Spy vs Spy 1.2
16 Karateka 1.1
17 Hydlide 1.0
18 Shadowgate 1.0
18 Dragon Quest 1.0
20 Spelunker 0.9
20 Popeye 0.9

Nice mix of various games represented. The mahjong game is there because the guy's name has the same kanji as in the question (洋). I wouldn't have guessed Castlevania at number one, but I get it. Although, I don't think it's as western as Goemon is Japanese. I think Mother would've been a better choice.

Next week's question: When it comes to "middle" (China), what game comes to mind?

This is kind of a hard one to translate. It asks about the kanji 中 which means middle or inside, but it's also the first kanji of the word for China. So we might see something like Super Chinese (Kung Fu Heroes) on there. Many Twitter comments were suggesting Spartan X (Kung Fu) or Yie Ar Kung Fu.

Chuka Taisen would be the natural response, if I'm understanding the question correctly.

Graphics Team · Posted

Wow - I can't believe I didn't think about classic American monster stuff and European fantasy stuff for "Western-style" games.

Popeye is a no-brainer, too - although I'm surprised it didn't rank a little higher.

[T-Pac]

• Agree 1

This week's result:

Question #28 (1/25-2/1) - When it comes to "middle" (China), what game comes to mind?

1 Kung Fu Heroes 15.9
2 Yie Ar Kung Fu 13.9
3 Mahjong 10.8
4 Tatakae!! Ramen Man: Sakuretsu Choujin 102 Gei 10.4
5 Chuka Taisen 5.0
6 Door Door 4.6
7 Kung Fu 4.1
8 Nakayama Miho no Tokimeki High School 3.2
9 Sangokushi: Chuugen no Hasha 2.4
10 Tenkaichi Bushi: Keru Naguuru 2.4
11 Romance of the Three Kingdoms 2.3
12 Ganso Saiyuuki Super Monkey Daibouken 2.1
13 Youkai Douchuuki 1.9
14 Ganbare Goemon 1.8
15 Little Ninja Brothers 1.6
16 4-nin Uchi Mahjong 1.5
17 Son Son 1.4
18 Yuuyuuki 1.3
19 Tantei Jinguuji Saburou (FDS) 0.9
20 Shanghai 0.8

Kung Fu Heroes is known as Super Chinese on the Famicom (and Little Ninja Brothers is Super Chinese 2 - we never got the third game). It seems to have been a well known game over there, probably because Namco published it. A lot of these games have the kanji asked about in the title (中), like the Nakayama Miho game. Door Door is there because another meaning of the kanji is inside, and the whole game is about trapping enemies inside doors. So that's a clever answer (EDIT: apparently, it's because it's a Chun Soft game). The Jinguuji Saburou game is the first FDS one, I didn't put the whole title because it's very long.

Next week's question: When it comes to oni, what game comes to mind?

Oni (鬼), as in the Japanese ogre-like creatures. Looks like we'll be seeing Shin Onigashima again! Also, Gegege no Kitarou (Ninja Kid), because that's also the first kanji in Kitarou. By the way, I never knew as a kid that beginning of Air Man's stage in Mega Man 2 was full of Oni heads (I had no idea what an oni was back then). Although confusingly, the Japanese name for that enemy is just Goblin. Sure looks like an oni to me though.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

40 minutes ago, scaryice said:

Oni (鬼), as in the Japanese ogre-like creatures. Looks like we'll be seeing Shin Onigashima again! Also, Gegege no Kitarou (Ninja Kid), because that's also the first kanji in Kitarou. By the way, I never knew as a kid that beginning of Air Man's stage in Mega Man 2 was full of Oni heads (I had no idea what an oni was back then). Although confusingly, the Japanese name for that enemy is just Goblin. Sure looks like an oni to me though.

I think they did a great job of localizing that. I always thought the Air Tikis were appropriately named, as something resembling a tiki god. Maybe most kids didn't know what those are, but I had one in my room.

IMG_5902.jpeg

• Like 1

This week's result:

Question #29 (2/1-2/7) - When it comes to oni, what game comes to mind?

1 Shin Onigashima 44.7
2 Momotarou Densetsu 25.9
3 Ninja Kid 9.6
4 Getsu Fuuma Den 4.2
5 Youkai Douchuuki 1.7
6 Mega Man 2 1.3
7 Momotarou Densetsu Gaiden 1.2
8 Hyakki Yagyou 1.2
9 Urusei Yatsura: Lum no Wedding Bell 1.1
10 Hi no Tori 1.1
11 Genpei Touma Den 0.7
12 GeGeGe no Kitarou 2 0.7
13 Super Mototarou Dentetsu 0.6
14 Ninja Gaiden 0.5
15 Ghosts 'n Goblins 0.4
15 MUSCLE 0.4
17 Megami Tensei 0.2
18 Ganbare Goemon 0.2
18 Dragon Quest IV 0.2
18 Momotarou Dentetsu 0.2

As you might've expected, lots of Japanese only games this week, including all four Momotarou games. I don't have too much to say about these results, so I'll just note that out of 29 polls, we've had 26 different games at #1. The only games to win more than one poll are DQ3, SMB, and Takeshi no Chousenjou.

Next week's question: When it comes to 2, what game comes to mind?

Kinda lame. Although we do get to see the raw popularity of some of these games. I'm guessing Dragon Quest 2 followed by Mega Man 2.

Edited by scaryice
  • Like 1