IGNORED

Can you help me verify that this Maniac Mansion chip is a fake?

SilverspoonGaming

When it came in today, I questioned it because of how white the board is between the contact pins, so I just took it apart and have been looking thru different region releases on Bootgod, but the chip that is circled doesnt appear on any of their examples, so I need the pros to give their opinions please.

20230911_204402.jpg

Not fake. That is battery backed (I think) RAM chip, not ROM. The base part number even matches what is on bootgod.

LH5160 is an 8k x 8 SRAM (6264 pinout equivalent) made by Sharp and discontinued many moons ago. Exact markings are gonna vary a little depending on when it was made and which factory made it, but it is definitely not new. Furthermore I see no signs of modification on the board itself.

Edited by SNESNESCUBE64
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 2:58 PM, CMR said:

It would be interesting to know if you can microwave the hamster or not in this version.

IIRC they all did.  If it had to be resubmitted, there would be a PRG revision.  Folks, also remember bootgod isn't the be all end all.  What makes games fake are EPROMs on legit NES 72 pin PCBs.  The only legit EPROM stuff is on prototypes and sometimes the name on the PC will  have EPROM on in (IE SKEPROM)

http://kevtris.org/mappers/mmc1/NES_SKEPROM.jpg

It's consistent with what should be there based on Bootgod's database.  Both the CHR-RAM and SRAM slots can have anywhere from 100ns to 150ns RAM chips, this one is 100ns.  I was worried about the RAM type itself, as the NES typically uses 6264 chips, not 5160 chips, but some digging pulled up an Ultima: Quest of the Avatar cart with the exact same chip in the CHR slot.  The only thing that would make me think it would be anything but legit would be if there was any indication of hand soldering on the back side, but that is highly unlikely.

One bit of advice - don't use the cart DB as a be-all-and-end-all guide to legitimacy.  Sure, there's lots of scans there, but given how many chip sources there were at the time, there would likely be more potential combinations of chips than actual scans in the database.

13 hours ago, the_wizard_666 said:

as the NES typically uses 6264 chips, not 5160 chips.

Sharp had their own part number system to begin with. Standard 6264 SRAM for Sharp is LH5160. LH5160 is a 6264 pin and function compatible. Another example of this is Toshiba TC5565 and Sharp LH5168. Same deal except these two are low power equivalents.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which SRAM chip it is. Even if it doesn't match. Hell, even if it was replaced it doesn't change anything because 6264 RAMs are higher failure rate.

8 hours ago, SNESNESCUBE64 said:

Sharp had their own part number system to begin with. Standard 6264 SRAM for Sharp is LH5160. LH5160 is a 6264 pin and function compatible. Another example of this is Toshiba TC5565 and Sharp LH5168. Same deal except these two are low power equivalents.

Ultimately it doesn't matter which SRAM chip it is. Even if it doesn't match. Hell, even if it was replaced it doesn't change anything because 6264 RAMs are higher failure rate.

Yeah, I couldn't find much on Google, but figured the chip was a functional equivalent based on what I did find.  There's tons of equivalent chips, I just haven't seen too many in NES carts.

This is the first I've ever seen nor heard of the RAM outright failing though...