IGNORED

The official Game Boy thread.

Gamegearguy

54 minutes ago, cartman said:

Have you guys realized that the Game Boy kiosk was the 1st official way to play with a the greenish-tinted screen on a TV? Neither Super Game Boy nor Game Boy Player offered that altough they could've easily.

I sure did.  In fact, when I had this realization several years ago, it made me curious how they did it.  It turns out that they are partial dev kits.

17 minutes ago, RH said:

I sure did.  In fact, when I had this realization several years ago, it made me curious how they did it.  It turns out that they are partial dev kits.

Yeah but the TV itself is whatever that could fit and could accept the cables so to speak, isn't it? I've never owned nor seen this unit live.

Edited by cartman

19 minutes ago, cartman said:

Yeah but the TV itself is whatever that could fit and could accept the cables so to speak, isn't it? I've never owned nor seen this unit live.

I’m not sure about the specifics.  I know I’m not a kiosk guy but no doubt, the only one I want at all is the original, over sized GB console.  I mean, it’s a GIANT Game Boy! Who’s wouldn’t want that?!

37 minutes ago, RH said:

I’m not sure about the specifics.  I know I’m not a kiosk guy but no doubt, the only one I want at all is the original, over sized GB console.  I mean, it’s a GIANT Game Boy! Who’s wouldn’t want that?!

Yeah that one is a lot rarer it's barely even photographed or shown at all. But in America you probably could find it eventually.

On 9/16/2023 at 5:55 PM, Splain said:

I completed the PIL set not too long ago. It's getting hard to find these since re-shells are so popular now.

PXL_20210719_075441585.jpg

nice but what about the black letters clear one..  it seams your missing that one?  or is that not one your after???

love i just got my set just need the one talked about ^^

Editorials Team · Posted
10 hours ago, JVOSS said:

nice but what about the black letters clear one..  it seams your missing that one?  or is that not one your after???

love i just got my set just need the one talked about ^^

Aw, man. I thought those were just aftermarket shell replacements and not authentic, but I looked deeper into it since you brought it up. Seems to be a European thing? And of course I want one now.

Number of GB-related items I've collected because of JVOSS: 92501834591

• Love 1
  • Haha 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Splain said:

Aw, man. I thought those were just aftermarket shell replacements and not authentic, but I looked deeper into it since you brought it up. Seems to be a European thing? And of course I want one now.

Number of GB-related items I've collected because of JVOSS: 92501834591

an to think we have not even started on the really rare stuff......

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Splain said:

NOPE NOPE

LA LALALALALALLAL

CAN'T HEAR YOU

Here you have a few POCKET Gameboy.
The glow in the dark JPN,
Pink JPN,
Atomic Purple JPN,
DMG Gray JPN,
Yellow JPN,
Green JPN,
Model F JPN,
then GIG Pocket ITA..
Loves these boxes. Just need the other 6 or so to make the full JPN set.   a few ill never have but worth wishing about..

JVoss_GameboyCollection.jpg.bef82bc7db9f584bec1692bd8e9a9336.jpg

• Wow! 2

I thought I would share my Japanese GBA collection. Still roughly 300 to go but it's coming along. I was hoping I was going to be able to fit it all in one bookcase but that's looking very unlikely. There's 787 in the set plus 5 multi packs of already released games and 3 special prize games that weren't released at retail. I'm just going for the 787 because I'm not a fan of multi packs, I'll probably pickup the 3 special prize games though at some point.

IMG_6094.JPG.4a217d6206b533128f4507b8d38f9fd1.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG.4b2a2bde772bf24537ad9dd7f89d8357.JPG

IMG_6096.jpg.1dbbdab8cbdb873f24a3ab7a3017c523.jpg

• Love 2

4 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

ok now you have me.  what 3..

- SD Gundam Force Kodansha Union Planning Special Edition Bandai (500 distributed via Comic BonBon's sweepstake)

- Famicom Mini: Mobile Suit Z Gundam: Hot Scramble (1000 made. Not sold at retail.)

- Famicom Mini: 2nd Super Robot Wars. (Raffle prize for those who purchased Super Robot Wars on the GC. 2000 copies given away. Not sold at retail.)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Brickman said:

- SD Gundam Force Kodansha Union Planning Special Edition Bandai (500 distributed via Comic BonBon's sweepstake)

- Famicom Mini: Mobile Suit Z Gundam: Hot Scramble (1000 made. Not sold at retail.)

- Famicom Mini: 2nd Super Robot Wars. (Raffle prize for those who purchased Super Robot Wars on the GC. 2000 copies given away. Not sold at retail.)

AGB carts??

51 minutes ago, Brickman said:

I thought I would share my Japanese GBA collection. Still roughly 300 to go but it's coming along. I was hoping I was going to be able to fit it all in one bookcase but that's looking very unlikely. There's 787 in the set plus 5 multi packs of already released games and 3 special prize games that weren't released at retail. I'm just going for the 787 because I'm not a fan of multi packs, I'll probably pickup the 3 special prize games though at some point.

IMG_6094.JPG.4a217d6206b533128f4507b8d38f9fd1.JPG

IMG_6095.JPG.4b2a2bde772bf24537ad9dd7f89d8357.JPG

IMG_6096.jpg.1dbbdab8cbdb873f24a3ab7a3017c523.jpg

@Brickman  love the cibs..  confused as to the set.  what way are you taking this set??  the OG DMG or the full Gameboy (DMG, CGB, AGB) set??

15 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

AGB carts??

I know hot scramble cart code is PRE-AGB. Not sure on the other two though.

9 minutes ago, JVOSS said:

@Brickman  love the cibs..  confused as to the set.  what way are you taking this set??  the OG DMG or the full Gameboy (DMG, CGB, AGB) set??

OG GB Japanese retail set CIB and GBA Japanese retail set CIB. I don’t like CGB. But who knows, maybe once I finish OG and GBA I’ll just get go after the Color set. That is a long way away so for now I am not going to think about the Color set 🙂 

I JUST posted this elsewhere but seems a welcoming place to share here as well. 😎

Amazingly, I never had an original GAMEBOY back in the day. Honestly, one time I came REALLY close, like I went into this small shop near me and even asked to look at one, I knew the popularity of them and of course I had loved my NES. Maybe I was still too impressionable back then but the sales clerk, a young fella but older than me was so anti-GAMEBOY lol, and was like naw man, don't waste your money, it's for little kid this system. Not that I was considering or could afford any alternative at the time but I never reconsidered. Who knows, maybe it was a mistake. No doubt I'd of had plenty of fun with one. Of course years later, getting into retro gaming, revisiting my childhood I see it differently. Never DID get an OG Gameboy, my first was actually a Gameboy Advance SP and over the years from collecting I did happen to obtain THIS little beauty, a GAMEBOY POCKET given to me actually, only have a couple of carts for it though......

WIN_20230923_16_30_07_Pro.jpg.d0cf00bb02bffdb9ff4393d6ec69d64f.jpg

This is all I have for carts, a couple of GBC as well which I can play on my GBA SP at least. 

The only one I cannot play of course is Mahjong, even if it was in English I never picked up on the game. 

381268435_10161673909328109_771605111641852905_n.jpg.4263781e78eb9a1477d0758648caae22.jpg381377058_10161673907058109_3447088511088727945_n.jpg.09fb22e172ec7c9cfe1cdb0b951ce6ef.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, JVOSS said:

still confused.  the fulls set for JPN DMG is 799 and your saying that both sets are 789.  Just trying to understand where i can help if i can..

No I'm saying 787 individual games for the AGB set not combined with other Gameboy sets.

I have 781 retail releases on my list for JPN DMG so I'm wondering what the other 18 are? Are you including non retail in your list?

Edited by Brickman

Really cool starter set @MaximumRD! It’s sad to hear how you were influenced as a kid and missed one of the greatest handhelds of all time, but it’s cool to see you still somehow managed to maintain appreciation until you got a Pocket and some games today!

And here’s a casual observation for everyone.  When I was a kid, I almost never, ever ran into an imported game item. I mean, why would I? I lived on the East Coast region, so I wasn’t near the left-coast, where that might happen and to my knowledge, there weren’t catalogs of this stuff.

Anyway, I feel like if I ever did run into any imported game item, it was almost exclusively for the Game Boy.  Maybe it’s because it was portable and backwards compatible? I don’t know what the first, non-US game item I ever ran into was but my gut tells me it was a GB title.

I also knew a kid who had, supposedly, a bunch of Mega Drive games.  Though he never invited anyone over, this was not far fetched. I lived near multiple military bases and since the US has multiple bases in Japan, I’m pretty sure he picked them up when his family had been stationed over there.  Since Mega Drive games work with US Genesis systems, I just assume now he wanted more variety than what he was getting at AAFES on the base.  And who could blame him.  
I hope he has all of those games.  It’s kind of awesome to say you have an OG Mega Drive collection as an American kid, who acquired it in Japan!

• Thanks 1

@RH Oh yeah on the left coast it did, and no there weren't catalogs.  Had I found the store before I turned 18 (around 13-14 it opened) I would have been a half decade sooner into hopping into import games.  As far back as 18 I started getting imported GB games, as cheap or more than the US stuff since no one would touch things they couldn't read (not that you need to read Pitman or SD Lupin the 3rd for example.) That source I largely used had me into SFC, GB, PCE CDs between 95/96, and if I wanted more like sega or neo geo aes/mvs then that would have worked too.

Places would import the stuff in right on the coast or people would, or bring it with them, tire of it, and dump it in that shop, ranch markets, etc.  Now though here, it's rare, and usually when it is it's a handheld game like you thought.  I've bumped into the odd famicom or sfc title, but more or less that's it.  Just yesterday I saw a dragon quest 3(fc) but I can't read that, left it.

11 hours ago, Brickman said:

I remember hearing about a GBC Comic BonBon sweepstake. I want to say it was for Robopon. Do you know whered I could find a list for those? They seem really cool, but they mostly fly under my radar

4 hours ago, Ankos said:

I remember hearing about a GBC Comic BonBon sweepstake. I want to say it was for Robopon. Do you know whered I could find a list for those? They seem really cool, but they mostly fly under my radar

I don’t have a list but I’ll see if I can find one that includes all the different sweepstakes they’ve done.

• Thanks 1