IGNORED

The official Game Boy thread.

Gamegearguy

4 hours ago, Ankos said:

I remember hearing about a GBC Comic BonBon sweepstake. I want to say it was for Robopon. Do you know whered I could find a list for those? They seem really cool, but they mostly fly under my radar

they only had 5 Robopon iirc.
sun, moon, start, bonbon, and the usa sun... they were KISS for CGB.  i do know of one or two cgb regular KISS cart for the robopon.  

• 1 month later...

Spent the last half-hour trying to beat a Donkey Kong Land level in level 1 with invincibility and infinite lives with Game Genie and my Game Boy Player. Now my thumb hurts. And the game is too hard.

I have Paperboy, and now I bought Paperboy 2. I wanted to know the difference between the two. And, you know, collecting.

The problem with the DKL games are two fold:
- They put so much detail into the ground/background along it's hard to really know when you're going to land on ground or eat it, and you can't always make yourself out on the screens of the time.
- They didn't quite adjust the old maps at all to a square screen, stages are meant for tv aspect so you get an annoying level of leap of faith jumps that'll end up in cheap deaths.

It's why I just have the first, and largely since it's CIB, not because it's actually really fun without modern solutions to only correct the first problem.

• 1 month later...
Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, NostalgicMachine said:

I've played more GameBoy in the last two months than I have in recent memory. I dug out my GBC and Pokemon Yellow and Crystal/ We also just did a video for Penguin Wars on the GameBoy: 

I've been playing Pokemon Yellow myself lately, mostly in bed before going to sleep. Just got the last badge and am on the way to the Elite 4, using only Pikachu (plus HM slaves). 

9 hours ago, Gloves said:

I've been playing Pokemon Yellow myself lately, mostly in bed before going to sleep. Just got the last badge and am on the way to the Elite 4, using only Pikachu (plus HM slaves). 

I was on a massive Crystal kick this last summer after swapping out fresh batteries in my carts.

Oddly enough, Yellow's save files were still there from 2001!

• Wow! 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:58 PM, NostalgicMachine said:

We also just did a video for Penguin Wars on the GameBoy:

Very fun video! I'm looking forward to checking out more.  Penguin Wars is kind of a curse word in my world. The game is great overall, but there is actually an ending and I haven't been able to reach it without hidden stage select codes.  If you win 40 matches in row, you will see the ending cutscene and get credits.  After stage 20, it becomes ridiculously hard and I haven't been able to figure out a solid technique yet. Personal Best is Stage 26.

• Love 1

27 minutes ago, Floating Platforms said:

Very fun video! I'm looking forward to checking out more.  Penguin Wars is kind of a curse word in my world. The game is great overall, but there is actually an ending and I haven't been able to reach it without hidden stage select codes.  If you win 40 matches in row, you will see the ending cutscene and get credits.  After stage 20, it becomes ridiculously hard and I haven't been able to figure out a solid technique yet. Personal Best is Stage 26.

Hey thanks for checking it out! There are a few other games done in the same style on the channel, as well 😎. I actually never had the chance to play Penguin Wars myself; I merely edited the video! I'm learning all about the GameBoy titles I've missed growing up via working with TGM.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got an analogue pocket. I've mostly just been throwing random stuff at it to see if it can run it. It seems to mostly match what a normal GBA can do (really early ones had more lax lockout for unlicensed GBC stuff) which is pretty good. Oddly a couple of carts which stopped working on my GBA work with this, so that was a pleasant surprise

AP Rockman and Crystal.jpeg

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Recently tried using one of these. It's a capture card for Gameboy. Just plug it in and select it on OBS and you can capture video/view gameplay on your computer. The screen on my Gameboy Pocket died, so this is a nice alternative. I didn't notice much in the way of a delay so I think it is usable for gameplay. One issue is that the cartridge sort of blocks the power switch, so if you have large fingers, you might need to use something to push the switch

GB Interceptor.jpg

Edited by Ankos
typo
  • Like 1