IGNORED

Game Debate #165: Duke Nukem 3D

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT HISTORICAL SIGNIFICANCE

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer f'ing game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. Easy to recommend.
    • 7/10 - Very good, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not very good.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

On 8/3/2023 at 3:56 PM, Sumez said:

You don't really need a writer to make up the line "groovy", it's literally one word. Duke says it because Ash saying it is iconic, it's a reference, that's all it is. 🙂

In the context of an action hero one-liner, that is completely out of left field, and to try and downplay the creativity or uniqueness of it is totally disrespecting their craft.

• 3 months later...
On 8/5/2023 at 10:38 AM, wongojack said:

@RH - yes, I generally do not enjoy the first person perspective in games.  I don't care about 'scaling sprites' and older graphics styles - those are fine.  I have played MANY first person games in my life, and I don't like that I see less of the environment around the controllable actor.  It also feels like I'm cheated out of actually seeing the person/object I am controlling.

Ultimate pet peeve is when you aim and a giant gun comes up in your face, so you can see even less of the game area.  A close second is when the game gets cute and has you put on some kind of helmet to restrict your vision even more.  I'd rather just skip all of that.  Please let me just SEE your game.

Your opinion on 1st person being merely transitional is fascinating. It's an interesting way of looking at 3D. I don't agree, but I do find it interesting. I'm curious what you think about VR games. You definitely get the old timey diver helmet view sensation with most of them, though I have heard some very special headsets can do peripherals, but no games go and put stuff in your face,  But that is what you're taking issue with, right? the lack of peripherals? I too have had that issue and similarly hate when they put a "helmet" over top of your view. More fun is playing with fov settings in games. Classics like quake and UT let you set the fov as high as you want, though logically the game becomes almost unplayable at 140 and up. The worst are console games that lock it at sub 90. There are often games only showing 70 or even just 60, as it saves on performance as well as being more natural than 90 when you're on a couch far from the TV. Either way, it means you barely see anything. Obviously 3rd person is thus better to see around your character, unless it's an over the shoulder view of course, in which case you have a big player character taking up your camera instead of a big gun.

For classic games, Id try Descent as it doesn't have any big objects in your HUD. A number of other games let you turn off the gun showing up on screen (mostly hardcore twitch shooters like quake 3 because players are good enough to know what weapon they are holding without seeing it in front of them).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, koifish said:

Your opinion on 1st person being merely transitional is fascinating. It's an interesting way of looking at 3D. I don't agree, but I do find it interesting. I'm curious what you think about VR games. You definitely get the old timey diver helmet view sensation with most of them, though I have heard some very special headsets can do peripherals, but no games go and put stuff in your face,  But that is what you're taking issue with, right? the lack of peripherals? I too have had that issue and similarly hate when they put a "helmet" over top of your view. More fun is playing with fov settings in games. Classics like quake and UT let you set the fov as high as you want, though logically the game becomes almost unplayable at 140 and up. The worst are console games that lock it at sub 90. There are often games only showing 70 or even just 60, as it saves on performance as well as being more natural than 90 when you're on a couch far from the TV. Either way, it means you barely see anything. Obviously 3rd person is thus better to see around your character, unless it's an over the shoulder view of course, in which case you have a big player character taking up your camera instead of a big gun.

For classic games, Id try Descent as it doesn't have any big objects in your HUD. A number of other games let you turn off the gun showing up on screen (mostly hardcore twitch shooters like quake 3 because players are good enough to know what weapon they are holding without seeing it in front of them).

I've played a handful of VR games.  I really liked Astrobot which of course puts you in complete control of where you look and what you can see (in 3rd person).  I really wish there had been more games like Astrobot in the last generation.  I would have played them.

For first person VR, I sometimes have mild VR sickness, but I have made it work with a handful of titles.  Probably played Skyrim VR the most of any first-person perspective game but, of course, that game lets you switch between first and 3rd person view.  Overall, I'd say that I think VR does a better job than straight first-person of allowing you to see your environment, but VR gaming is still a relative novelty for me.

Have always been aware of Descent since it was new.  Never really had much interest in it, but I think I did play a demo of it.  I'm sure it is fine, but I'll never play it again.  Too many others in front of it in genres that I actually like.