IGNORED

I have a cat now

Gloves

Administrator · Posted

A couple of his toys get him suuuuper hyper, and the ball in a tube is one of em now for sure. It's fine, but will take some getting used to. He'll run around, go crazy, then jump on a cat tower somewhere in the house or worse onto our computer desks, he just wants to play with us so it's wherever we are. Problem being that he wants to play by grabbing and/or biting hands or feet, so we need to work to train that out of him. A firm "NO" and we walk away; I have some battle scars but we'll get there.

On 7/31/2023 at 11:12 AM, fcgamer said:

Gingers are predominately male. We used to have one when I was in high school. That's such a cute cat, I look forward to seeing more videos and pics.

That is not a "ginger"!  No sir he and my kitty Jamiee are beautiful golden blondes...they have fur of gold, like the Carol Brady and her three very lovely girls! 😄 

Sometimes when my wife would call me on the phone from the nursing home she was in at the time I'd say that I've been sleeping with a cute little blonde... 😄 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Gloves said:

A couple of his toys get him suuuuper hyper, and the ball in a tube is one of em now for sure. It's fine, but will take some getting used to. He'll run around, go crazy, then jump on a cat tower somewhere in the house or worse onto our computer desks, he just wants to play with us so it's wherever we are. Problem being that he wants to play by grabbing and/or biting hands or feet, so we need to work to train that out of him. A firm "NO" and we walk away; I have some battle scars but we'll get there.

Isn't it so funny and so cute how kitties can just go nuts over random objects? 😄 

Lint.jpg

And you MUST tell kitty in no uncertain terms your hands and especially feet are NOT cat food!!!

funny-cat-comics-cat-vs-human-57-579b049

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Estil said:

Isn't it so funny and so cute how kitties can just go nuts over random objects? 😄 

Lint.jpg

And you MUST tell kitty in no uncertain terms your hands and especially feet are NOT cat food!!!

funny-cat-comics-cat-vs-human-57-579b049

I woke up to him mauling my feet the other day lol. If I have fabric on my feet it's a death wish.

22 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I woke up to him mauling my feet the other day lol. If I have fabric on my feet it's a death wish.

Be sure that you are feeding him well with the right kind of cat food (mine gets Purina Cat Chow Indoor) or as you can plainly see and feel they will QUICKLY resort to cannibalism!!! >_<

Tell kitty that eating people is NOT cute!!!  NOT kawaii!!!

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Estil said:

Be sure that you are feeding him well with the right kind of cat food (mine gets Purina Cat Chow Indoor) or as you can plainly see and feel they will QUICKLY resort to cannibalism!!! >_<

Tell kitty that eating people is NOT cute!!!  NOT kawaii!!!

We've been experimenting with the amounts of food as since he got here he's been throwing up roughly once a day (with a few exceptions).  Everything we've read points to it likely being a mix of over stimulation from the move (small closet sized animal shelter to 4 bedroom 2 floor house) and potentially over eating. We're looking at puzzle feeders too, to keep him busy, entertained, and all that good stuff. I'm gonna talk to my wife about the timing of the feedings, as well.

@Gloves look up Jackson Galaxy if you havent seen him yet. He is the ultimate Cat whisperer. 

As he explains, Its all a combination of Hunt-eat-groom-sleep for cats to be happy. If you satisfy that, almost all cat behavioral issues are addressed. 

Some common western cultural cat care ideas are actually 100% wrong- ex:

Humans want cat litter boxes hidden, because poop is gross. Cats, being prey for larger animals (even though really good predators, too) want to defecate out in the open, because its when they are vulnerable. 

He has a lot of good insight for things like that, check it out. He has a Great show where he helps folks that have cats improve their co-existence. 

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted
14 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

@Gloves look up Jackson Galaxy if you havent seen him yet. He is the ultimate Cat whisperer. 

As he explains, Its all a combination of Hunt-eat-groom-sleep for cats to be happy. If you satisfy that, almost all cat behavioral issues are addressed. 

Some common western cultural cat care ideas are actually 100% wrong- ex:

Humans want cat litter boxes hidden, because poop is gross. Cats, being prey for larger animals (even though really good predators, too) want to defecate out in the open, because its when they are vulnerable. 

He has a lot of good insight for things like that, check it out. He has a Great show where he helps folks that have cats improve their co-existence. 

Thanks man I'll check it out! Larry has his own large bedroom and his stuff is it there, we have plenty space to adjust. 

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

likely being a mix of over stimulation from the move (small closet sized animal shelter to 4 bedroom 2 floor house)

How about restricting him to one room for a while? Whether that's for certain hours of the day so he can have calm  periods or a week or three while he adjusts. 

3 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Cats, being prey for larger animals (even though really good predators, too) want to defecate out in the open, because its when they are vulnerable. 

Sorry, I'm confused. Why do they want to be out in open, available to attack from several angles when vulnerable? 

My exs yard frequently attracted feral cats and they all tended to shit underneath a ramp. Dogs will do their business wherever but cats I thought would rather not; and they feel safe in boxes so a covered litterbox jives with that. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, Link said:

How about restricting him to one room for a while? Whether that's for certain hours of the day so he can have calm  periods or a week or three while he adjusts. 

We've been restricting him to his room when we both leave the house, and when we have dinner (~1-2 hours at a time). We could certainly up the time spent in his room, we both just kinda feel bad doing it lol. Our research though shows so far that it's not uncommon to put a cat in a single room for long periods of time as long as their needs are met. I mean honestly his room is bigger than my bedroom growing up, and about 10x the size of where he came from at the shelter, so it's not like locking him in his room is equivalent to sticking him in a box or something. We probably need to just get over the whole "but his freedom!" thing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Link said:

Sorry, I'm confused. Why do they want to be out in open, available to attack from several angles when vulnerable? 

My exs yard frequently attracted feral cats and they all tended to shit underneath a ramp. Dogs will do their business wherever but cats I thought would rather not; and they feel safe in boxes so a covered litterbox jives with that. 

They can see all directions and can escape. Or so his theory is. 

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Gloves said:

We've been restricting him to his room when we both leave the house, and when we have dinner (~1-2 hours at a time). We could certainly up the time spent in his room, we both just kinda feel bad doing it lol. Our research though shows so far that it's not uncommon to put a cat in a single room for long periods of time as long as their needs are met. I mean honestly his room is bigger than my bedroom growing up, and about 10x the size of where he came from at the shelter, so it's not like locking him in his room is equivalent to sticking him in a box or something. We probably need to just get over the whole "but his freedom!" thing.

Cats and dogs actually spend a good part of their lives sleeping (otherwise their lives would be a lot shorter).  So wen you leave him he likely sleeps a lot.

• Agree 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Cats and dogs actually spend a good part of their lives sleeping (otherwise their lives would be a lot shorter).  So wen you leave him he likely sleeps a lot.

Yeah generally so far we open the door and he's asleep up on his little cat tower or in his bed. So checks out!

8 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Yeah generally so far we open the door and he's asleep up on his little cat tower or in his bed. So checks out!

When we first got our younger cat Teddy, we kept him in his own room for good parts of the day when neither of us were home, and gradually weened him out of it. 
71263470115__B5E94151-581C-4908-A0DA-A9065CA89806.jpeg.81e860d704941003278f5de7f69f7b29.jpeg

• Love 1

One of those feral cats that showed up by me before was pregnant. The kittens were brought inside although we couldnt find mama. We had 5 kittens living their whole lives in a 5x10' room for months and they were quite happy. 

Like a week after we got them into the no-kill shelter mama showed up, pregnant again. No wonder because she was a super sweet and frienfly calico babe. I called the vet and learned they can do kitty abortions, set that up (and spaying), and with some work found another shelter to take her. That was fine as another time keeping kitty in enclosed space, because we didnt want a territorial encounter between her and my senior cat. 

4 hours ago, nrslam said:

Lots of cats like the smell of feet, and will treat a sweaty sock like catnip. Mine wraps himself around my feet while I sleep.

YES!!  My cat does that with my shoes after I come back from somewhere!  Who'd have thought cats can be such foot fetishists? 😄 

• Haha 1

Yes the games on the shelves can definity be scratched and you should pay attention to that. The best is some small cupboard and that the shelf simply starts at a higher point but i think cats can jump pretty high. I don't know if he'll jump against a flat surface though. Maybe he would, atleast once.

You could always get a slice of transparent glass/plastic and simply let it stand in front of the shelf effectively blocking it. So if the cat touches he will only get in contact with that material.

Also i'd avoid petting the cat and touching the games afterward better to attend any game-sorting business that day before interacting with the cat. I reckon you don't go touching the collectibles too regularly anyway so when you do, it pays off to plan it a little.

Edited by cartman
  • Like 1