IGNORED

2023 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Legendary Wings

BeaIank

I should play this soon, but I've been playing Punch-Out and trying to get a first round TKO of Tyson. Holy shitballs this is hard to do. The earliest I've gotten the first knock down on Tyson is 1:15 but that isn't quite good enough. It also sucks that Tyson can randomly delay his uppercuts for so long, wasting huge chunks of time.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, docile tapeworm said:

@mbd39 I’ve never been able to 1st round that fucker.

Until Doug mentioned it, I had no idea that a 1st round tyson victory was even possible. I usually get him down once, then try to get him down to his last little smidgen of health and run clock out. Since Doug did it, I have been meaning to find video of someone round 1ing him. I gotta see that 

50 minutes ago, NESfiend said:

Until Doug mentioned it, I had no idea that a 1st round tyson victory was even possible. I usually get him down once, then try to get him down to his last little smidgen of health and run clock out. Since Doug did it, I have been meaning to find video of someone round 1ing him. I gotta see that 

It’s a timing thing with your counter in the first 1:30 only one punch per Tyson uppercut instead of two.

• Wow! 1

10 minutes ago, docile tapeworm said:

It’s a timing thing with your counter in the first 1:30 only one punch per Tyson uppercut instead of two.

No, it's still two punches, but you have to slightly delay the second one to cause more damage. It's frame perfect. You also have to punch left or right depending on which way Tyson faces.

It's Tyson's winking punches after that where you're supposed to do only one delayed punch for max damage but the timing is almost impossible. I don't even try.

Edited by mbd39
  • Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
9 hours ago, NESfiend said:

Here. Have DTysonator TKOing Tyson round 1 while blindfolded.

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

He needed perfect rng to do this, and then not screw up on the execution. I shudder to think how many attempts this took.

Months. I followed this saga closely.

But they found a way to manipulate the RNG with double resets to make so Tyson wouldn't go into te 8 seconds without uppers pattern.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BeaIank said:

Months. I followed this saga closely.

But they found a way to manipulate the RNG with double resets to make so Tyson wouldn't go into te 8 seconds without uppers pattern.

What?? There's a manip to prevent Tyson's 8 second delays? That would really help in my attempts to get a first round TKO. Tell me more about this.

3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

He needed perfect rng to do this, and then not screw up on the execution. I shudder to think how many attempts this took.

There's no way I'd have the patience to do that. I haven't even been able to beat my 2:35 personal best that I put up in the 2015 contest. That tied the TG record at the time, but now it's down to 2:15.

Events Team · Posted
3 minutes ago, mbd39 said:

What?? There's a manip to prevent Tyson's 8 second delays? That would really help in my attempts to get a first round TKO. Tell me more about this.

Reset the NES twice before entering the code and Tyson will almost never go into the pattern with the 8 seconds punch delays.

11 hours ago, mbd39 said:

11 hours ago, BeaIank said:

Reset the NES twice before entering the code and Tyson will almost never go into the pattern with the 8 seconds punch delays.

I actually get off a little on the long delay uppercut (never knew it was 8 seconds) me and my buddy “A” would always grit our teeth during that delay and say “c’mon mother fucker you ain’t shit” or something along those lines. Half the time we would miss it and get hit with the uppercut 😂

• Haha 1

Stupidly died to the final boss. The pattern is super easy but I forgot how to fight him and got clobbered. Oh well. I used remaining lives to beat the boss and it doesn't even look like you get any points for defeating him so it didn't matter.

On 7/27/2023 at 8:39 AM, mbd39 said:

I got the delay pattern when we played and literally got third knockdown in the last second. I might have been in the 2:40s with a better pattern.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I got the delay pattern when we played and literally got third knockdown in the last second. I might have been in the 2:40s with a better pattern.

The fastest I've got the first knockdown on Tyson was at 1:06 and then I choked.

I  can't get consistent timing on the delayed punches. Either I punch a hair too soon or a hair too late and he blocks.

Edited by mbd39