IGNORED

What are the best/must-have PS4 games?

I completely skipped the last generation (ps4/xbox1).  I have a PS3 that I rode as long as I could and I have a Switch that has been the main go-to machine since I got it.  The only thing the Switch can't do that I missed is the big Sports games.  Well, I was playing some NHL on a current gen system with friends recently.  That is by far the best multiplayer big-box sports game that exists (at least in my opinion).  Even my buds who don't really know hockey can have fun with it.   I had so much fun, I just had to get a new machine.  Since it is backwards compatible, I went for the PS5 over the Xbox. 

So... what are the "Must Have" or "Must Play" games for the PS4?  I know I've probably missed out on a lot and it looks like now is the time to scoop them up for cheap.  

I like a lot of different genres.  Pretty much anything that isn't a vs. fighting game like street fighter, mortal kombat, etc. or an online multiplayer FPS is right up my alley.  Most of the games I gravitate to are action/adventure, rpgs, strategy games, shmups, sports games, puzzle games, and more.

Difficulty doesn't stop me.  I'm decent at most games.  I have beaten Demon's Souls & Cup Head and can still take down Tyson.  

Editorials Team · Posted

I was in the same boat, and spent the last year catching up.  Here is what all I bought, keeping in mind that I'm not much of a PC Gamer anymore.  I also got a bunch of the remasters of games I had owned for 360 or PS3:

Dark Souls II, Dark Souls III, Sekiro, Bloodborne
Wolfenstein: The New Order, Wolfenstein: Old Blood, Doom Eternal
God of War, God of War 3
Resident Evil VII, Resident Evil 2, Resident Evil 3
Mass Effect Trilogy, Mass Effect Andromeda
Tomb Raider, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Shadow of the Tomb Raider
Yakuza 0, Yakuza Kiwami, Yakuza Kiwami 2, Yakuza Trilogy, Yakuza 6
Divinity, Torment, Pillars of Eternity, Pillars of Eternity II
Arkham Knight, Return to Arkham
Dishonored, Dishonored 2, Dishonored Something Something, Prey
Far Cry 3, Far Cry 4, Far Cry Primal, Far Cry 5, Far Cry New Something
Dead Rising, Dead Rising 2
Trails of Cold Steel, Trails of Cold Steel 2
Final Fantasy XV, Final Fantasy Type 0
Shadow of Mordor, Shadow of War
Ass Creed Origins, Ass Creed Odyssey
The Last of Us, The Last of Us Part II
Shadow of the Colossus, The Last Guardian
Red Dead Redemption 2
Nier Replicant
Horizon Zero Dawn
Fallout 4
Metal Gear Solid 5
Nathan Drake Trilogy
Deus Ex
DMC
Hellblade
Dragon Age Inquisition
Infamous
Stick of Truth
Alien Isolation
Until Dawn
Star Wars Squadrons
Just Cause 3
Spider-Man

And then the PS5 games which are remasters of PS4/PS3 games:
Ghost of Tsushima
Nioh 1 + 2
Uncharted Collection
Control
Grand Theft Auto V
Jedi Fallen Order
Devil May Cry 5
Demon's Souls
Judgment, Lost Judgment, Yakuza Like a Dragon
Hitman 3
Death Stranding
Alan Wake
The Last of Us (again)
Final Fantasy VII Remake

And then of course the likes of Elden Ring, Deathloop, Returnal, Village, Ragnarok, Resident Evil 4, and so forth

Most of the games I would have mentioned are included in @Reed Rothchild's post, so I won't repeat them here, but I will add a few more.

• Dirt 4 (avoid Dirt 5)
  • Dirt Rally is also good, but I would start with Dirt 4
  • MudRunner
  • The BioShock Collection (this is a dame great way to play all three games)
  • Doom Slayer Collection is a really great way to play most of the Doom games on PS4, even though most of them are digital downloads with a physical disc for Doom 2016.  I just recently realized that you can download custom levels for Doom and Doom II for free and these "custom" levels include all of Final Doom and No Rest for the Living.

I could also make a good list of PSVR games if you decide to go that route as well.  

Edited by TDIRunner

5 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Oh shit, I didn't know that.  I've always wanted to play through it too.

I had been so disappointed that it was the only major Doom release to not be available on PS4 (it was included in the PS3 version along with No Rest for the Living), so I was super excited to see it available on PS4, even if it's not official.  Good news is that it's free, as are many other custom levels.  

Social Team · Posted
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • Psychonauts 2
  • Uncharted 4
  • Ratched & Clank (redone version of original game)
  • Valkyria Chronicles 4 (If you haven't played the first game on PS3 then play Valkyria Chronicles Remastered on PS4 then play 4th one)

Those first 2 games are new "exclusive" series to PlayStation and were literally console selling games for the PS4, must buys/play.  I hear the Spiderman and God of War are also console sellers but I haven't personally played those.

I'd also say if you can find a cheap PSVR setup go ahead and get it.  It's good enough VR for the first time ever and there are some great games I can recommend if you enjoy VR.  Not everyone can really play VR so try any VR system and see if you have any adverse reaction to it.  If you don't experience VR sickness and can see things in VR then you are likely OK.  Headaches and eye strain are usually symptoms that can fix with making sure you have the correct lens spacing between your eyes.  Quest 2 has very little control over it very PSVR allows for a very fine calibration but it's setup is kinda burried in the settings of the PS4.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gloves said:

What genres do you like, or dislike? For instance I'd say bloodborne is among the best games on the console, but if you're not into fast paced (and difficult) action, you're better off staying away. 

IMG_8821.gif

Thank you very much for all the suggestions fellas. Especially @Reed Rothchild, @TDIRunner, @FireHazard51 and @fox.  I’ll let you know when I pick some of these up and how it goes.

I’m very excited to play Resident Evil VII and Village, as well as the remakes. I have loved that series since the first one. I’m also looking forward to playing Metal Gear V. I’ve never played any of the Bioshock games, but if I can find the trilogy somewhere, that’s another one I’d like to play as I always hear good things about it. 

Thankfully the Switch did get a number of good games ported to it, so I was able to play some of the suggestions already. I thought Doom 2016 was really well done. I downloaded most all of the old ones as well. That was a great way to experience them. 

Anyway. Thanks again and have a good weekend guys. 

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, srbossman79 said:

Thank you very much for all the suggestions fellas. Especially @Reed Rothchild, @TDIRunner, @FireHazard51 and @fox.  I’ll let you know when I pick some of these up and how it goes.

I’m very excited to play Resident Evil VII and Village, as well as the remakes. I have loved that series since the first one. I’m also looking forward to playing Metal Gear V. I’ve never played any of the Bioshock games, but if I can find the trilogy somewhere, that’s another one I’d like to play as I always hear good things about it. 

Thankfully the Switch did get a number of good games ported to it, so I was able to play some of the suggestions already. I thought Doom 2016 was really well done. I downloaded most all of the old ones as well. That was a great way to experience them. 

Anyway. Thanks again and have a good weekend guys. 

Yeah I tried not to mention games that have Switch releases, for the most part

• 2 weeks later...