• Bryan Adams - "Everything I Do"
    • Alice in Chains - "Man in the Box"
  3. 3. Choose one

• OutKast - "Ms. Jackson"
    • The Cure - "Lovesong"
  4. 4. Choose one

• Ghost - "Square Hammer"
    • Dr. Dre - "Nuthin' But a G Thang"

#2 was rough, but I went with the song that I felt was more culturally significant, as everyone was listening to Bryan Adams shortly after its release.  For #4 I recognize that Dre's song is considered a classic, but I've just never liked or been able to stand it, hence my reluctant vote for Ghost, who I also never liked but can at least stand to let keep playing in the background.

Moderator · Posted
3 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

#2 was rough, but I went with the song that I felt was more culturally significant, as everyone was listening to Bryan Adams shortly after its release.  For #4 I recognize that Dre's song is considered a classic, but I've just never liked or been able to stand it, hence my reluctant vote for Ghost, who I also never liked but can at least stand to let keep playing in the background.

Yep, that song was absolutely huge when it came out. Also, voting for Ghost over Dre is undefendable. 

2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Done. But Dr Dre is still winning. People have bad taste here 🤣 

Also people voted Def Leppard over the insanely talented Faith No More? Pffftt.

Edit: hold up! @Hammerfestus you voted dr Dre over Ghost? You’re dead to me! 😆

Edited by Brickman

Editorials Team · Posted
38 minutes ago, Brickman said:

Yeah, Def Leppard surprises me a bit.  Though they are right in this demographic's sweet spot.  And it's not my favorite FNM song, but definitely a more "normie" selection I felt I had to go with.

I knew Changes or G Thang would have a clear path to the elite 8.  But I thought it's biggest competition would be Duran Duran.

1 hour ago, Brickman said:

🤷‍♂️ What can I say.  I did it for mah bitches.  Ain’t no thang.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, doner24 said:

Yep, that song was absolutely huge when it came out. Also, voting for Ghost over Dre is undefendable. 

Dude, I'd vote for country and bluegrass over gangsta rap, and I hate those too, lol.  Again, I get its cultural significance even if I think it's dogshit and just couldn't bring myself to vote for it.  I honestly kind of figured I'd be the sole dissenting vote since I was the first to vote in the poll.  Glad to see I'm not alone in my "heathenism."

7 hours ago, Brickman said:

Yep.  The decision was an admittedly overplayed original 80s classic compared to a kinda meh cover.  No brainer, really.  Now if it had been Epic versus Pour Some Sugar On me, you'd have likely found out exactly how many fish-murderer-endorsers there were on here, but alas, it was not to be.

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Mega Tank rocking NWA on his daily commute

Story time followed by fun fact.

So, before my last job, I worked as a top level repair technician and line lead for a cell phone refurb & repair company.  As such, I had a little bit nicer equipment available to me, and a little more slack cut to me in regard to what I could and couldn't do while on the clock, so long as I got my work done.  After hearing how miserable most of the techs were and how part of it was due to the fact that most had to work in silence since you weren't allowed to bring in any sort of electronics that might be able to smuggle phones out (basically all CD players and tape decks), I had an idea.

A friend had given me a small FM transmitter that he'd lost for a year in his car and then rediscovered, only to find that the old batteries had leaked and totally eaten away the battery contacts.  So, I brought it into work, disassembled it down to the board, then used a pick to dig out the traces that still existed within the layers under the missing contacts and soldered jumper wires to them.  I then hooked it up to my benchtop power supply, adjusted it to the equivalent voltage and amperage of 2 AA batteries, connected my portable MP3 player (still kind of rare and expensive at that point) then flipped the switch.  It worked!

Over the next few days, in between actual work (typically while waiting for phones I'd repaired to finish up on the calibration equipment), I toyed with the transmitter to see what worked best.  I discovered that the most power it would take was about 9 volts, and somewhere around 2 amps.  Anything more in either direction and the signal started to become nothing but static very quickly, most likely pushing the cheap chips to their limit, but also giving the broadcast perfect sound as well as allowing people as far out as two rows in any direction to hear it via FM radio (either units they brought in themselves or using junked phones which had an FM radio feature that still functioned).  After that, I started playing with the crappy 2" wire that served as the transmitter's antenna, eventually adding approximately 6 more feet onto the end of it, as well as a little metal "grappling hook" looking end made of soldered together paper clips at the very end.  I ended up saying my net connection was going in and out, standing on my desk to check out the bundle coming from the ceiling, and concealing my giant antenna inside, with the "transmitter" tip keeping it from being dislodged or even moving around.

The next day, I heard through the grapevine that suddenly the entire building could hear my little pirate radio station (doing the math, I'd apparently bumped it up to about 5 watts, seriously illegal for personal use), and anyone who didn't have a music option of their own were rapidly doing what they could to lay their hands on one of the broken FM radio phones or spending what little spare cash they had on whatever crappy single AAA FM radios they could.  The second week I started taking requests, and by the third week it had become so popular and I was so jazzed about raising spirits that I made up call letters (which I no longer remember) and made up some "station identification breaks" to include in the shuffle (which I sadly no longer have).  Every day for more than a year, I'd come in in the morning, use the alligator clip soldered to my "super" antenna to connect up the transmitter, then start up the daily broadcast for at least the next 8.5 hours, but usually closer to 12-14.  Finally, at the end of that period, I, like many others, had had enough, and found myself another job.

I felt sad about leaving behind the coworkers who I'd befriended and bonded with so tightly in that time, but felt even sadder about inadvertently taking away one of the only dependable things that brought any joy to many of the people who worked in the building (QC had apparently discovered the station at some point).  So, for 13 of the final 14 days of my station's broadcast, the lineup was basically nothing but requests, often having me up at night trying to download whatever music I didn't already have just to make sure someone didn't get disappointed the following day.  On day 13, I put up paper signs around my desk advising no requests would be taken that day.  I told anyone who asked why that I had something special planned for my last day.  And I did.

Fun fact:  The last day at that job, for the entirety of my 10 hour shift, my little radio station blasted "Damn It Feels Good to Be a Gangsta" by the Geto Boys nonstop.  Pretty much everybody who worked there had seen Office Space, so people cracked up then started grooving along as they listened to my "F you, I quit" song all day.

There were some more fun things that happened that day that made people lose their shit laughing, but I'll save those for another time.  Needless to say, there were zero F's given that day, and I absolutely reveled in my freedom to no longer have to give a shit or hold my tongue.  I've never again had cause or opportunity to experience such a satisfying and cathartic middle finger to someone/something that deserved it so much since.

I'm not even a Def Leppard fan but that's still a better song than Faith No More's straightforward Commodores cover.

Cure vs Outkast was a tough one.

I like the selections here except for Everything I Do which is horrendous.

Edited by mbd39

23 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

I love all of these songs aside from Bryan Adams.  I figured he'd lose in round one 😅

I usually don't mind Bryan Adams. Run To You and Summer of 69 are decent classic rock stuff. But good lord Everything I Do is a turd. That song he did for Don Juan DeMarco also sucks.