IGNORED

Constructed Languages

fcgamer

So for many, learning and using one language is challenge enough; however, there are others who learn two, three, or even eight+ languages. Some even develop their own languages.

I am thus calling forth the language enthusiasts of VGS. Anyone here ever bother to learn a constructed language? I guess Esperanto is one of the more popular ones, though there are a lot of different ones of substantial nature out there. A professor I knew at university had even made his own language. I guess Tolkien is quite known for the languages that he designed.

Anyone here take it further and not just learn a constructed language, but design one as well? What process did you use to design it? Did it ever catch on? Any examples of it in use? Did it gain a following?

Let's discuss constructed languages!

I translated one of my brother's children's stories into the constructed language I made, wan khu. I wanted to publish a translated version of the book but Amazon wouldn't let me, as they only allow one to self-publish books in about twenty languages or so, ugh.

Anyways I might print a small run of these locally and sell them on my language webpage once I get that set up.

I'm still setting up a "backstory" for wan khu, I have one floating around somewhat in my head and think I'll try to incorporate it into the next novel I'm writing, as well as a film that I want to start shooting later this year.

uuntrvii 1.png

untrvii2.png

52 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

That's got to be one of the most famous constructed languages.

I‘ve never seriously considered constructing my own language.  I’ve always been a historical linguistics kind of guy.  Constructing a language seems way too daunting for a freetime activity.  So many questions.  What will be your grammatical rules?  Agglutinative?  What will it’s sounds consist of?  What language or language family will you draw inspiration from for your constructed language (even Tolkien drew from the Finnish language in constructing Elvish)?  It’s too much man.  More power to you.

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

I translated one of my brother's children's stories into the constructed language I made, wan khu. I wanted to publish a translated version of the book but Amazon wouldn't let me, as they only allow one to self-publish books in about twenty languages or so, ugh.

Anyways I might print a small run of these locally and sell them on my language webpage once I get that set up.

I'm still setting up a "backstory" for wan khu, I have one floating around somewhat in my head and think I'll try to incorporate it into the next novel I'm writing, as well as a film that I want to start shooting later this year.

uuntrvii 1.png

untrvii2.png

You need to grow a pair and create your own alphabet too.  The Latin Alphabet has enough freeloaders already... 😛

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Morbis said:

You need to grow a pair and create your own alphabet too.  The Latin Alphabet has enough freeloaders already... 😛

Actually I didn't think about that but I agree. Does anyone know of any programs where one could create a font like this? Might be fun to do, I'll do a grammar at some point too.

On 2/1/2023 at 12:37 AM, fcgamer said:
On 1/31/2023 at 11:24 PM, Dr. Morbis said:

Actually I didn't think about that but I agree. Does anyone know of any programs where one could create a font like this? Might be fun to do, I'll do a grammar at some point too.

My best advice on this front would be to look into how Sandhi works in Sanskrit.