IGNORED

The Official "My Game Just Crashed/Soft-Locked" Thread

PekoponTAS

So I had a pretty devastating game crash a few nights ago, and I've only now gotten over it enough to make a thread about it. Since this is a pretty universal problem among gamers, I thought it'd be nice to make an area where we can vent our frustration whenever it happens. Try to be descriptive of your crash, and ideally include a picture when possible. If you have a theory about why it may have happened, feel free to include that too. Soft-locks are also fair game.

The only rule is that you can't do it on purpose. We all know how to activate glitch city in Pokemon, so that's not the kind of thing we're looking for here.

Obviously this isn't a thread that will get a lot of posts quickly, but make sure to remember it exists whenever your game crashes. Though to get things started, feel free to talk about any bizarre game crashes you've had in the past. Think of this as a new type of database for the site, and let's make an effort to note the weirder moments when games can mess up.

Game Crash: Star Fox Zero: Transition from outer Venom to Corridor of Illusion

While I didn't snap a picture, I can replicate the screenshot via Youtube video.

After I had defeated Star Wolf on Venom, my game hung on the transition to the corridor of illusion. This is the exact frame my game was stuck on, and I couldn't even activate the home menu.

614431977_StarFoxZeroCrashWithBorder.png.b4db6801956377e01e64849e20553e99.png

What was devastating about this crash was that I was playing Arcade mode, where ending your game will erase your progress. Through no fault of my own, I lost over an hour of playtime on a really killer run where I was doing well.

Soft Lock: Super Mario Galaxy: Tutorial Planet

One of my prouder soft-locks comes from Super Mario Galaxy where I somehow prevented the launch star from appearing on the introduction planet where you meet Rosalina, making it impossible to leave the area. I had to start my file from the beginning, which meant watching all of the unskippable cutscenes again. I DID snap a photo of it back in the day, but sadly it was on an old phone that I couldn't rescue my photos from. You'll just have to take my word for it though. I think it had something to do with me triple jumping to the backside of the platform where the breakable crystals were to trigger the cutscene with Rosalina. Doing that somehow unloaded the object inside the crystal, making it impossible to leave.

• Like 1

Graphics Team · Posted

This isn't exactly a softlock, but last month I was emulating Stinger [NES] from a ROM dump I made of my cart a few years ago. It was the first time I'd reached the final level, only to find out that I'd made a bad dump and the remainder of the game was an unplayable, glitchy mess. 

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.a8da0273b10c6754f9ae685723479bc2.jpeg

• Haha 3

I've been playing all the Xenoblade games (1 through 3 + X) since last June and with exception to the 1st game, I've had a crash/softlock on each of them. The worst one lost me 2 hours on Xenoblade 2 (it was during a VERY tedious side quest too 🎙️🐻). 

Shantae:HGH on Switch also crashed on me twice, oddly when I was trying to farm for gems (using the vase transformation in the Bath House).

Graphics Team · Posted
On 1/9/2023 at 7:10 AM, CasualCart said:

This isn't exactly a softlock, but last month I was emulating Stinger [NES] from a ROM dump I made of my cart a few years ago. It was the first time I'd reached the final level, only to find out that I'd made a bad dump and the remainder of the game was an unplayable, glitchy mess. 

-CasualCart

image.jpeg.a8da0273b10c6754f9ae685723479bc2.jpeg

23 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@CasualCart So you're saying going that far to have it bomb was a real stinger? 😉

image.gif.38d596503a10f1fd6d1f84ee151bcb03.gif

• Haha 3

Since I mentioned it in the Ico thread...

Back when I finally got around to playing Ico, I apparently got 50-60% through the game before getting to a point where I couldn't proceed any further.  The reason?  Having kept my blinders on for the entirety of the time since the game had been announced so as to go in totally blind and experience every surprise as if it were brand new, I didn't realize that you needed to pick up a stick out of the debris of the cage that gets broken on the first screen.  So, I beat like half the game without any way to actually destroy the bad guys, before finally getting to a point where there were too many and they were placed too close together for me to get by without it.

I was technically able to go all the way back to the beginning, get the stick, and then return to that point, but I ended up saving right around there, forgetting the game, and never finishing it.  Does that count as a soft lock?  🤣

• Like 1

Oh boy! I get to post in here again already! This time Duck Tales Remastered crashed on me. It's hard to tell, but my Game Pad is on in this picture.

1553295842_DuckTalesCrash.png.10d17074db9bc2227381e13068926d7d.png

I just got to the boss of Transylvania after playing an overly extended version of the stage thanks to this dumb remake, and wouldn't you know it when I skipped the cutscene I couldn't give less of a crap about, the game just locked up in the fade out.

I'm already hating this remake, and now it decides to just wipe an entire stage away. Though I likely would have died to whatever idiotic boss was waiting for me, as for some reason they made the bosses stupidly hard in this version.

Despite only being a handful of stages long, I don't know if I'll bother to finish this game. It kinda sucks, and turns a charming game that people remember loving as kids into a drawn out, needlessly difficult game that takes away the simple fun that made the original so lovable. The fact that the game just broke without me really doing anything doesn't make me like it any better either.

EDIT: I posted this as soon as it happened, so I was still pretty bitter. 😅

Edited by PekoponTAS