IGNORED

Cakes, Candles and Carts

DarkTone

Is there a video game that reminds you of a birthday of yours? Maybe one you got on the day, or wanted and didn't get. Could even be a game that came out on your birthday. 

The only thing that comes ro mind for me was this year. So happy that Splatoon 3 dropped right before my birthday. Still love the series and spent the week crushing every mode. 

Administrator · Posted

Kabuki: Quantum Fighter is the only game I can really definitively remember getting specifically for a birthday. I was gifted just the cart, along with an OG Game Boy with Tetris (ugh). The one who gave it to me was my friend James Brown, a scrawny white kid with red hair. 

Good times.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to say I remember getting Star Wars for the NES for a birthday, but so many of the games that were bought from me came either for Christmas or once in a while at the end of the school year for a really good report card that I'm not 100% certain since it's been so long.  I don't remember playing any other new games around that time, so it most likely was for my birthday whatever year I got it.  I do specifically remember hunting down the Nintendo Power issue that went through it and using that to help guide me so I didn't wander all over Tattooine forever and ended up beating the crap out of the game within a couple of days of getting it, shelving it, then returning to do it again a week or two later.

While I do have that game in my collection today, it's sadly not the cart that was gifted to me by a since-departed relative, as that one got loaned (alongside a half dozen or so other really popular games) to a "friend" who never returned them, then pretended like it didn't happen when I brought it up in person (the last time I spoke to them).  It's still a fun game, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't wish I still had my original copy.

• Like 1

DuckTales on NES was given to me for my 7th or 8th birthday, I forget the exact year, probably 1990 or 1991. It was the last thing my grandma gave me before she passed many years ago so it's a game I always associate with my birthday but also with my grandma. Unfortunately that original cart is long gone as my parents loved throwing my stuff out.

I also associate Donkey Kong 64 with Christmas because I got it for Christmas 1999, and played it all day, literally all day to the point where I almost beat it that same day. Some of the in game music reminds me of Christmas too.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gloves said:

Kabuki: Quantum Fighter is the only game I can really definitively remember getting specifically for a birthday. I was gifted just the cart, along with an OG Game Boy with Tetris (ugh). The one who gave it to me was my friend James Brown, a scrawny white kid with red hair. 

Good times.

kabukijamesbrown1.png.166ec8e380ebf6c98928901c8f7560bb.png

• Haha 4