IGNORED

What Are Your All-Time Top 5 Games? And Why?

Lago

9 hours ago, AirVillain said:

I mean.... so difficult it makes it hard to like. I'm not TERRIBLE at shooters, but I use my NES Advantage and I can do okay. Can beat Gun.Smoke, Legendary Wings, Fantasy Zone.... probably a few others. But I don't think I made it much past the first level in Abadox.

Is it the tight downward scroll level giving you issues? If so, you might try a regular controller with a good d-pad. Some of those areas require precise movements and the Advantage isn't the best controller for that, IMO.

On 12/14/2022 at 9:22 PM, Tulpa said:

Is it the tight downward scroll level giving you issues? If so, you might try a regular controller with a good d-pad. Some of those areas require precise movements and the Advantage isn't the best controller for that, IMO.

Is that the second level?

Because I am pretty sure I did not make it past that. Through a few of the checkpoints I believe, if I remember correctly? But I got stuck there for sure.

So yes, but I'm not sure if using a regular will help me much. Reason I use the Advantage is because my thumb gets sore pretty quickly from all the maneuvering, so I gotta cheat with the Advantage. 🙈

That being said, I'll give it another shot with just a controller and see how that goes. 😎👍 Based on your advice, and the actual game it deserves at least that. 

I enjoy shooters, but mostly prefer the Advantage. I do have an NES Max which I've never even used, haha. The D pad seems so loose on it I've just never tried it. 😐  That's pathetic, actually. 

17 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

So yes, but I'm not sure if using a regular will help me much. Reason I use the Advantage is because my thumb gets sore pretty quickly from all the maneuvering, so I gotta cheat with the Advantage. 🙈

That being said, I'll give it another shot with just a controller and see how that goes. 😎👍 Based on your advice, and the actual game it deserves at least that. 

I get that, and most of the time the Advantage joystick is great for shooters, but when you need slight nudging, you either need a d-pad, or a very, very light touch on the joystick (like, maybe take your hand off of the stick and just lightly tap it.) That tight corridor is unforgiving.

17 minutes ago, AirVillain said:

I enjoy shooters, but mostly prefer the Advantage. I do have an NES Max which I've never even used, haha. The D pad seems so loose on it I've just never tried it. 😐  That's pathetic, actually. 

The thing about the Max is that the black ring is the actual d-pad. The red part is just a thumb rest and doesn't do anything on its own. It's just there to let your thumb slide to the part of the ring you need to be at in any given moment.

Max is for when you need to make movements with constant direction changes. That's why they advertised it for playing Ice Hockey and RC Pro-Am. It's also good for games like those, like Blades of Steel, Galaxy 5000, Goal and Goal 2, stuff like that. And maybe Track and Field and the derivative games (Caveman Games, Snoopy's Silly Sports, etc.) where you need a circular movement for the hammer toss, etc.

IMO, standard controller is best for platformers and things you need precise maneuvering, Advantage is good for anything with arcade roots (most shooters, beat-em-ups), and the Max is for those games that need sweeping movements.

Edited by Tulpa

32 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

I get that, and most of the time the Advantage joystick is great for shooters, but when you need slight nudging, you either need a d-pad, or a very, very light touch on the joystick (like, maybe take your hand off of the stick and just lightly tap it.) That tight corridor is unforgiving.

The thing about the Max is that the black ring is the actual d-pad. The red part is just a thumb rest and doesn't do anything on its own. It's just there to let your thumb slide to the part of the ring you need to be at in any given moment.

Max is for when you need to make movements with constant direction changes. That's why they advertised it for playing Ice Hockey and RC Pro-Am. It's also good for games like those, like Blades of Steel, Galaxy 5000, Goal and Goal 2, stuff like that. And maybe Track and Field and the derivative games (Caveman Games, Snoopy's Silly Sports, etc.) where you need a circular movement for the hammer toss, etc.

IMO, standard controller is best for platformers and things you need precise maneuvering, Advantage is good for anything with arcade roots (most shooters, beat-em-ups), and the Max is for those games that need sweeping movements.

That tight corridor is TOIGHT. And so unforgiving aI haven't played it since, haha. 

I can't imagine it getting any easier after that? 

Good input, good input. Blades of Steel, haha, awesome. I'm going to break that out a the ne Blades of Steel tourney and melt everybody's faces. 

Agreed on the controller stuff, will keep in mind when I actually use my Max, haha. 

I love the NES Advantage on Gun.Smoke because the A/B buttons are directional for your shooting and it gives a really natural feeling of control when you can spray your guns from side to side seamlessly without having to turn your character with the joystick. I've just always loved that game control, haha. 

Note: Gun.Smoke might not make it onto my top 5, but probably top 10. 

Top 5 Shooters, yes, but overall.... Top 5 is a tough list to be on.

Edited by AirVillain
10 Ten Reference...

#1 Ninja Gaiden Black - Easily my favorite.  It's the game I've put the most hours into by many multiples.  I'd estimate around 3000 hours.  Still might be best action game ever.  My avatar is Ryu Hayabusa with a Jinjo head.  I also make Ninja Gaiden memes and post them on Instagram @Hayabusavillageidiot.

#2 Bayonetta - Easily my second favorite, and the 2nd most hours of any game I've put into any game, probably around 500-600.  Has the best gameplay of any game ever made, the weapons are amazing, the Sai Fung is my favorite weapon in any game, and the music is top notch.  Platinum at their best.  2 was good not great, and I've only played a couple chapters of 3.  it didn't hook me, but I haven't formed an opinion on it yet.

#3 Mega Man 10 - If #1 and 2 are easy, then #3 had to be some kind of Mega Man game, and I'll go with 10.  9 has better music and charm, but 10 has better weapons and was more fun to 100%.  And yes, that's me bragging.  I Mr. Perfected 9 and 10 on normal mode.  Right now I'm playing a lot of Mega Man 4 Voyage, which is fantastic, but it's not quite on the level of 9 and 10 for me.

Had a hard time thinking of definitive answers for 4 and five, but...

#4 Tecmo Super Bowl - Great game all around, probably the NES game I've put the most hours into.  This game provided me my single greatest moment in gaming.  Long story short, I ran a last second kickoff back for a touchdown to win the Super Bowl over the 49ers.  You don't believe me.  I know.  No one ever does.  But it happened and it was awesome.

#5 is honestly probably Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, but that's boring because I've already got a Ninja Gaiden game on here, so I'll go with...

#5 Super Mario Bros - The only game I will ever try to speedrun.  I play it at least weekly, working toward eventually trying to beat it in under 5 minutes.  I could probably do it right now if I just dedicated a week or so to grinding for it.

Edited by wyansas
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

1. ZZT (PC/Dos) Around this time this came out (1992), I was really into the BBS ANSI art scene as well as video game design. This game perfectly scratched both those itches. Plus its just really well made. Even the pack-in sample game, Town of ZZT, was brilliant. And the community of home grown ZZT worlds is amazing. 

2. Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) There was a time whenever the topic "are games art?" was brought up, this game would be mentioned. It is hauntingly beautiful. But also a lot of fun with its perfect mix of puzzle solving, platforming, and exploration.

3. Might and Magic Clash of Heroes (DS) Lots of games have tried to put some unique twist on the "match 3" puzzle game genre, but this one is the best. It's a little lacking in replayability, but its still amazing.

4. Legacy of the Wizard (NES) In 2014, I had just read Console Wars by Blake Harris and the classic gaming bug bit me hard. I went and bought a NES, joined NintendoAge, and starting collecting. One of the first games I got for my collection was one the I had actually never played before (or even heard of), Legacy of the Wizard. This guy on Craigslist had a few games I wanted, and this one was thrown in with it. When looking for some information about it, I discovered a video of it being played on Game Center CX and I was very intrigued. This game really hooked me in hard! Even moreso, because it felt like something I had discovered on my own.

5. Yar's Revenge (Atari 2600) In Howard Scott Warshaw's attempt to find a way to port Star Castle, he managed to create something even greater.  The most successful non-licensed game on the Atari 2600. Pure arcade action with fantastic sound design and very satisfying explosion. Only thing its lacking is a little more variety.

• Like 2