IGNORED

Questions regarding WATA and their authentication accuracy. (Magical Chase TG-16 related, Photos added!)

Hey all, I want to preface this with saying I'm not really a fan of grading, I've never had anything graded and I'm not entirely sure I'll be keeping this one in its shell, but I might just for the novelty. I have nothing against people who like grading either, it just doesn't really fit with how I typically collect. I bought it graded and that's as far as I can say at the moment. 

That being said, I know WATA has some kind of authentication method, but I'm not sure how reliable or accurate it is. The discourse around WATA these days is so toxic that it's hard to parse out what they do genuinely well for an outsider. I know there was a controversy about them incorrectly authenticating some prototype cartridges for the SNES, but I cannot find any other information to back up or discredit them in this fashion otherwise. Does anyone have any insight on this?

As someone who has collected for about 15 years I've learned a lot can be determined just by feel and look, so being unable to look around the contents and attempt to get opinions online makes me get anxiety with a purchase that I'll be paying down for a whole year. I feel guilty for buying it despite wanting it forever due to the going rate, but I'd feel better knowing that it's 100% legit and am not sure how I should proceed. 

Also, I notice they seem to serialize and have some kind of QR code but I can't find anyway to determine what that is for, I figured it would be a database to prove it was them who did it, but I can't seem to find info on that either. 

I find users here tend to be the most level headed and reasonable when it comes to this sort of thing so I'm reaching out in hopes my worries can be quelled. I'm not really sure how much of a known commodity this particular game is aside its notorious price, so I wasn't sure the best place to turn. 

Any help is appreciated, thanks all, I'll post pictures when it arrives 👀

Edited by goldenpp72

In short, im sure wata could authenticate and I would personally trust them - but, I think it is 100% not needed and would be a waste to send it in. 

Is it CIB? with the slip?  I have full confidence in your ability to tell, especially if you did any sort of research on seller. Identical fake repro copies would be really difficult to fake convincingly, hu card as well as case. 

The repro hucards you can get from china have drastically different design from original production ones- unless someone has some gigantic tooling operation that nobody knows about. 

Compare it against a similar release date game and it should be pretty obvious. We can help you here. 

But don’t send it in. 

The qr code and all that is basically just info about the grade and game, and certifies it as officially graded (or authenticated) by wata. 

Oh and authenticating prototypes is a way different ballgame than factory produced items. 

Edited by MrWunderful
  • Like 1

I think my main concern is you see many people claim that WATA has made mistakes and slipped through phony items, but it's hard to parse that information away from what is a smear campaign (no matter how justified). It seems impossible to really find out much about what makes them so qualified in the first place. I suppose less slanted information is the goal I seek rather than the ones with agendas on YouTube, heh. 

Edited by goldenpp72

So earlier today the seller sent me a screen capture of the certification he had when he had it graded, and it contains images of the game and such, all the contents, but it doesn't show the inner clear tray and he said he honestly doesn't recall if it had one or not. I guess what I'm asking is, would they photograph that or mention it in any sense, or is there any way to know it was in there when it was slabbed, outside of maybe weighing it against the weight of a sealed one or something? I'm not sure if sealed magical chases came with more inserts than the manual and tray though.. 

I think it would be ok to post the screen shot anyways? Also, is there no way to log that you're now the owner of an item or have it transferred, it seems kinda weird for a service basically dictacted by reselling that there would not be such an option. I see it list the sleeve, so I guess I'm curious if they would list 'plastic tray' if it were there, please excuse the ignorance, I have literally never delved into this stuff until the last few days.image.thumb.png.b32abeb6b0677e5c380547dec4d71cf7.png

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

So earlier today the seller sent me a screen capture of the certification he had when he had it graded, and it contains images of the game and such, all the contents, but it doesn't show the inner clear tray and he said he honestly doesn't recall if it had one or not. I guess what I'm asking is, would they photograph that or mention it in any sense, or is there any way to know it was in there when it was slabbed, outside of maybe weighing it against the weight of a sealed one or something? I'm not sure if sealed magical chases came with more inserts than the manual and tray though.. 

I think it would be ok to post the screen shot anyways? Also, is there no way to log that you're now the owner of an item or have it transferred, it seems kinda weird for a service basically dictacted by reselling that there would not be such an option. I see it list the sleeve, so I guess I'm curious if they would list 'plastic tray' if it were there, please excuse the ignorance, I have literally never delved into this stuff until the last few days.image.thumb.png.b32abeb6b0677e5c380547dec4d71cf7.png

This is an extremally big purchase you made and have ever reason to feel the way you do but you can't solve all of your concerns until you hold it in your hand. If they plastic tray is missing you will hear and feel the movement. I guess what I am saying is don't talk yourself out of it.... you made the deal, enjoy the ride. You have a beautiful game room and it will be one of the center pieces.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

This is an extremally big purchase you made and have ever reason to feel the way you do but you can't solve all of your concerns until you hold it in your hand. If they plastic tray is missing you will hear and feel the movement. I guess what I am saying is don't talk yourself out of it.... you made the deal, enjoy the ride. You have a beautiful game room and it will be one of the center pieces.

I just have a lot of anxiety over something this expensive, if there was some "magical" (😎) way to know the box and everything was all good I'd feel better, I know people here say don't worry but I just don't know what they do to make sure it's not a repro. I mean hell the repro I have looks nice and if the difference is 5k for that box, I just want some idiot proof method to know I guess lol. 

I don't usually get jittery on this stuff, just this is likely the most ill ever spend and I'm def worried. It'll arrive tomorrow though!

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Agree 2

I'm in the same boat when it gets into insanely toxic high cost items you know you won't see again let alone own twice, it's rare, and it happens.  While I don't like nor trust that company, taking that out of the figure here, I think it would be pretty safe to say they know the stress of a game like that and giving it such a lofty value they made damn certain not an item there was bs or even a shred of a chance of it being so.  Having the news go out they gave a 9 something to a bootleg turd of a super stupidly rare gem of a game, and within that rarity the added rarity of such quality ending up being a fraud would likely go long ways to ruining them.  You blow that game, kiss the NEC fans goodbye minimally from ever trusting them again with media appraisal or value.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

I just have a lot of anxiety over something this expensive, if there was some "magical" (😎) way to know the box and everything was all good I'd feel better, I know people here say don't worry but I just don't know what they do to make sure it's not a repro. I mean hell the repro I have looks nice and if the difference is 5k for that box, I just want some idiot proof method to know I guess lol. 

I don't usually get jittery on this stuff, just this is likely the most ill ever spend and I'm def worried. It'll arrive tomorrow though!

It would be extremely obvious if the tray weren't included, the items would just rattle around.  You have no reason to worry about a repro.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, goldenpp72 said:

You should be fine. That's an amazing item to add to any collection.

• Like 1

They just shouldn't be grading a bootleg, that's enough said right there. There's no reproduction by any legal realistic representation of the word there in the slightest.  Square-Enix didn't authorize it.  There is no standardized company making or releasing the game either.  It's a pet project someone made for themselves and/or others that got a grade and put into a case.  It makes utterly zero sense.  How do you grade something where technically no two will ever be alike to have a base foundation to grade on a 10pt scale from with no original?  Maybe someone should mail them some flea market gucci glasses and see how they turn out, same thing really.

• Like 1

Well, it came in today, I cross compared it to my reproduction and other listings and it does look legitimate, I was able to also talk to a former grader who was able to help put me further at ease, so here as some images to look around if anyone cares!

AL9nZEWtF9gglulHzXmX-fLZeYP0z4XVaB1PoXM0

AL9nZEWekeY0JRkaUEt7T9U-L16qkBrijWAxuuXQ

AL9nZEVrhFTgfqYRWEIOaasZwyAdnhxOBAusHPuT

AL9nZEWV032MZzNMwQRLMWZ-z_PIZVpcO0dgMXbB

AL9nZEXSZKip8oji4hZC95sFhZhxPCP_LowEiVr7

AL9nZEUUSI0-6y6UYu65_f768BKUb9VJ_OWQkFcF

Edited by goldenpp72
  • Like 2

• The title was changed to Questions regarding WATA and their authentication accuracy. (Magical Chase TG-16 related, Photos added!)
41 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

Well, it came in today, I cross compared it to my reproduction and other listings and it does look legitimate, I was able to also talk to a former grader who was able to help put me further at ease, so here as some images to look around if anyone cares!

KUOcIjxYLtcBSNHYiGKwJ_v_rfpHy165aTHd5ZMk

ASluswHehSlxuJKPaZEF8pED2bN_uwGca6hZusw2

dvIWrXtoKBsihQ7mvtUM36ojrrxBNHrfDgubUuIv

2wGd9nqHWcJumnGa3gXwBhzRBR9qnifcJ41iDrLUhIFiqS4hf7y6uPtqAZ7PahAKAvTH8oDy2Bsa9IcH

Looks great!

• Like 1

So interesting story, after I bought it another person who tried to buy it from the same seller contacted me saying he thinks it's a scam.. so much so that he kept trying to buy it even after I bought it. Sent me voice messages and all, but once I showed him the clips still being in tact he seemed to back down I guess. I guess this game is in another region of collectable then I'm used to 😔

25 minutes ago, goldenpp72 said:

So interesting story, after I bought it another person who tried to buy it from the same seller contacted me saying he thinks it's a scam.. so much so that he kept trying to buy it even after I bought it. Sent me voice messages and all, but once I showed him the clips still being in tact he seemed to back down I guess. I guess this game is in another region of collectable then I'm used to 😔

How'd they get your contact info?

• Like 1

Yeah you jumped into a realm with this one where the human garbage factor hits a whole other level where throwing around 10k+ levels of cash to them is almost(or is) funny money, and they won't care who they lie to, hurt, or manipulate in wicked ways to deceive and connive into what they want.  That dude knew damn well it was legit and tried to sucker you into a paranoia attack to his benefit.  Good on you staying firm.  I'd almost say out the rat, but largely few here would run across that critter I imagine.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Yeah you jumped into a realm with this one where the human garbage factor hits a whole other level where throwing around 10k+ levels of cash to them is almost(or is) funny money, and they won't care who they lie to, hurt, or manipulate in wicked ways to deceive and connive into what they want.  That dude knew damn well it was legit and tried to sucker you into a paranoia attack to his benefit.  Good on you staying firm.  I'd almost say out the rat, but largely few here would run across that critter I imagine.

He has 19 negative feedback on eBay, harassed the seller and also has a reputation on a few groups based on some vetting I did and a few people who had insight, I get paranoid with big spending, but not paranoid when it comes to dealing with sketchy people 😛

• Wow! 1