IGNORED

PSA about Digimon Survive on the Switch

I was at GameStop today and saw they had one new copy of Digimon Survive. This is a game I was planning on waiting to get until I found a pre owned copy. I asked the guy there if he had played it and he said no and that copies of the game are hard to find. He said each GameStop only got however many were preordered and that the copy they had was a preorder that someone never picked up. I didn’t 100% buy the rarity thing, thinking it was a marketing tactic so I looked on eBay and sure enough this game is already going for more than MSRP. 

The game can still be bought on Amazon and gamestops website for $60 so who knows if it really is uncommon. It may not be super hard to find yet since it did just come out a little over a week ago but who knows, maybe this ends up being a harder one to find in due time.  I did end up getting that copy and can’t wait to play it. Tactical digimon game, yes please. 

I wouldn’t use gamestop as a barometer for game rarity. Their inventory logistics are so botched at this point that they don’t have stock of games that walmart would have a shelf full of. Take a stroll through r/gamestop and you’ll see the employees talking about how bad their inventory is. 

Also i’ve seen plenty of games selling for more then msrp on ebay when you could ealk into any store and pick up the game. I have to assume that boils down to people who are completely clueless or people in other countries that gor whatever reason, can’t get it shipped to them except for those willing sellers on ebay 

It's a bad idea to buy up retail Switch games based on "rarity" because they can easily get reprints at this point. It has already happened many times. Examples are Atelier Ryza, Ys VIII, etc.

Korg Gadget was a "limited Japan exclusive" and had people scrambling to buy at inflated prices until an ESRB version suddenly dropped and crashed the price.

Then there was the Walmart release of Tiny Troopers XL rumored to have a "limited print" and people were tripping over themselves buying from scalpers for $60+. Now there's a seller on eBay sitting on tons of copies trying to sell at $30.

I'm sure there are many more examples like this. I almost bought into the hype for some of these but I'm glad I refrained.

• Agree 1

Yea maybe not the best thing to go off of. It does remind me of shantae and the pirates curse for 3DS though. Only one copy per GameStop store. They sat on shelves for weeks with no one buying them. Fast forward to now and it’s over $100. I don’t think that’ll happen with digimon survive though 

• Like 1

Really? Game doesn't have any interest to me so not in the market to buy it, but a lot of the retailers here have heaps of copies (especially the online retailers). The Switch game that was hard to get here was Klonoa, that was a tough game to find at a store. Went to go pre-order Pac-Man World today and saw four Digimon Survives 

18 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, this is a common thing with smaller titles on Switch and GameStop.  Early perceived scarcity.  I wouldn't trigger the FOMO on a title for at least 2 years after launch.

That's just what you big time collectors want us to think so you have 2 years to scoop up all the rare Digimon games!

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...