IGNORED

Price check - Punch-Out!! (5 screws, European version)

Kekerino

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Kekerino said:

Thanks for your comment! I think that is what I will have to do since no one has ever seen a game like this. I am truly surprised about the rarity of this game and the level of skepticism around here but I guess everyone has their reasons. It would be interesting if someone with professional knowledge would be able to inspect the game in real life but I don't know if there is anyone in Sweden where I live. I will try to find someone!

definitely do, and report back if u can!  

Just now, RH said:

Best of luck.

agreed

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I get what u are saying, but I highly doubt this would be the only one in existence if it was legit.  I don't know a good way to find it, try searching for Facebook groups, anything else in Europe and see if anybody has any.  really, I know you came here looking for answers, and I wish we could do that for ya, but I don't know that we have too many people here who collect a lot of PAL besides the 2 folks, @Brickman and @OptOut, who have already chimed in and are from those respective regions.  So with that, if I were you, I woul look elsewhere as well to try and verify it because if it ended up being real, it could be worth who knows how much.  The problem is we don't know because we can't verify it is authentic so as much as we wish we could give u an answer, we can't, and i would feel bad trying to sell that for more than it is worth if i couldnt prove it was real.  maybe you should try to contact someone at nintendo or something to see if they have any archival type deal you can validate it with.  

Another thing is, not calling you a liar or anything else, but the ONLY thing we can find with a label like that is a repro of that cart.  We can't help u with a price point if we can't validate it.  To us it is worthless, or about the cost of a pcb......

We will see what I can find out, it will be interesting nonetheless. Thanks for the tips, I'm already on it! At the beginning I was hoping that the authenticity could be proven by numbers on the cartridge or on the PCB but I see that things are not that simple. Now I know! I understand that you can't put a value on a product which you can't tell if it's legit or fake.

14 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Not to mention, FINLAND, which is where that site that @OptOut linked, is right next to Sweden that you say you purchased it from.  There are ways to cheat the system, even in Sweden I'm sure, so u can make up stories, or catfish people......

Sure but who would make such an effort for $14? It's basically for free. That makes no sense at all to me.

Some of the earliest pal releases that came in smallboxes were labeled "european version" on the front and no region code on the back. The board you have is spanish. Spanish versions for a common game being sold in Finland in the 80s, basically when the game was new? With incorrect back cover? I dont buy it, im usre the board is authentic but not the rest

Events Helper · Posted
57 minutes ago, Kekerino said:

Sure but who would make such an effort for $14? It's basically for free. That makes no sense at all to me.

people are crazy, who knows why.....

also, finding the good in people......it could be the "old man"  is being legit, but this could have been mixed in, I mean who really knows.....

1 hour ago, Kekerino said:

Because Sweden has a transparent public registry of its residents so I could simply verify his identity online with the help of his phone number which was used in the a secure payment from me to him (he is 60 years old, not super old but hey).

That's really scary that personal info is so easy to obtain in Sweden 😟 For some reason I thought privacy laws were tight in Sweden.

Hopefully you can get some info on it, but unfortunately I don't think anyone else has anymore info.

I will say this though, if it is a legitimate game, rare doesn't always equal $$$ especially when it comes to PAL stuff. A lot of PAL games are more scarce than US counterparts but still don't command the same dollars.

2 hours ago, Brickman said:

That's really scary that personal info is so easy to obtain in Sweden 😟 For some reason I thought privacy laws were tight in Sweden.

Hopefully you can get some info on it, but unfortunately I don't think anyone else has anymore info.

I will say this though, if it is a legitimate game, rare doesn't always equal $$$ especially when it comes to PAL stuff. A lot of PAL games are more scarce than US counterparts but still don't command the same dollars.

Yeah I guess it can sound kind of strange but I'm used to it, it's not so bad in my opinion.

Thanks, I hope so too. This impulsive purchase turned out to be a way bigger project than I expected it to be! 😅

Let's see if someone will be interested in it! I guess there must be plenty of PAL-collectors out there as well.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 360collector said:

Some of the earliest pal releases that came in smallboxes were labeled "european version" on the front and no region code on the back. The board you have is spanish. Spanish versions for a common game being sold in Finland in the 80s, basically when the game was new? With incorrect back cover? I dont buy it, im usre the board is authentic but not the rest

Yes, I found that information as well. The game was purchased in Sweden, not Finland. You mean that it has a US version of the backside label? European versions used to have these ones in the early days according to @OptOut if I understood it correct.

On 7/7/2022 at 9:26 PM, Mega Tank said:

You

Hello, 

I am an NES collector based in Austria and signed up today to answer the question. There are 5 different module cover variants of this game for the smalbox in Pal B and the 5-screw variant shown is real. This was sold in Scandinavia and the 5-screw module is currently selling for around US$45-50 in good condition.

Sorry, it's not realy rare.

Attached is a photo of the existing variants of the game packaging as Pal B in the small packaging.

In France and Holland, the game was additionally sold in a large box, but the cover then looks different.

Greetings from Austria (Europe) rubyhoorn

IMG_20220702_120520.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Wow! 1

49 minutes ago, rubyhoorn said:

Hello, 

I am an NES collector based in Austria and signed up today to answer the question. There are 5 different module cover variants of this game for the smalbox in Pal B and the 5-screw variant shown is real. This was sold in Scandinavia and the 5-screw module is currently selling for around US$45-50 in good condition.

Attached is a photo of the existing variants of the game packaging as Pal B in the small packaging.

In France and Holland, the game was additionally sold in a large box, but the cover then looks different.

IMG_20220702_120520.jpg

Hello @rubyhoorn!

Thank you for making such an effort just to help me out, I really appreciate that. ☺️

Very interesting information that you shared with us, hopefully it will remove all the existing doubts about it's authenticity in this thread. I already got ensured that it is a legit copy by members of the leading Scandinavian retro Nintendo forum (SNDB.se) as well as other Swedish forums. It is nice to hear from you that your experience can verify it too. 👍

No worries! I was very surprised to see that this thread became so big and that the game cartridge was hailed as a fake. It feels good to know that it is real and that the "old man" was speaking the truth after all! 👴🎮

Cheers! ☕

Edited by Kekerino
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, rubyhoorn said:

Hello, 

IMG_20220702_120520.jpg

You pinged the wrong person as I did not start the thread, but good to hear.

Also, the advice I gave literally applies to any game in question, so not sure why my response was chosen. 😆

Wow, I'm very surprised by this news! It is good news indeed, to have genuine confirmation from a more knowledgeable source! I am still very surprised that it seems so difficult to find any information on this game in the English-speaking internet, looks like there are many secrets and discoveries out there waiting for us in the wider world, eh?!

Congrats @Kekerino, good work putting up with the scepticism and scrutiny in good faith! I guess we're all winners in the end, by learning something new! 🙂

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, OptOut said:

Wow, I'm very surprised by this news! It is good news indeed, to have genuine confirmation from a more knowledgeable source! I am still very surprised that it seems so difficult to find any information on this game in the English-speaking internet, looks like there are many secrets and discoveries out there waiting for us in the wider world, eh?!

Congrats @Kekerino, good work putting up with the scepticism and scrutiny in good faith! I guess we're all winners in the end, by learning something new! 🙂

There are probably experts all over the world that know their region extremely well but never feel the need to discuss it in english

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, Kekerino said:

No worries! I was very surprised to see that this thread became so big and that the game cartridge was hailed as a fake. It feels good to know that it is real and that the "old man" was speaking the truth after all! 👴🎮

You have to understand that we've seen a LOT of supposedly rare games that were actually fakes. Especially the big boys, like Little Samson, Dino Peak and Stadium Events. There's a lot of telltale signs, like an off label or a five screw on games not thought to have that variant.

There's also been an explosion of reproductions coming out of China in the last several years that also frustrates the market.

A North American five screw MTPO is worth a LOT of money. Apparently the PAL five screw was more common, and is worth a fraction of that.

So yeah, we're a little gunshy when it comes to certain games. It's nothing personal, but a lot of scammers have invaded the hobby.

9 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

You have to understand that we've seen a LOT of supposedly rare games that were actually fakes. Especially the big boys, like Little Samson, Dino Peak and Stadium Events. There's a lot of telltale signs, like an off label or a five screw on games not thought to have that variant.

There's also been an explosion of reproductions coming out of China in the last several years that also frustrates the market.

A North American five screw MTPO is worth a LOT of money. Apparently the PAL five screw was more common, and is worth a fraction of that.

So yeah, we're a little gunshy when it comes to certain games. It's nothing personal, but a lot of scammers have invaded the hobby.

I'd like to add to that, that I even pointed out the label damage.  This also doesn't help a fake game look legit, but also in some cases with 5-screws, we have to be very aware of that type of damage.

Some people have taken good ole heat guns to labels, pulled them off of 3-screws and slapped them on 5-screws to make a super rare title.  I've never personally seen a label swap that looked legit and usually a corner is damaged.  This is also why we'd be skeptical.

If you can find a 5 screw with a verifiable legit label, and very minimal damage (for any title) we'd be much more inclined to think it was legit.  Even then, for "impossible" titles that came out way to late for 5-screw variants, people would want to examine the cart.

The people who are really into these, have bought many of these and examined all of the minute details inside and out of these games, especially the ones from the US.  There are just certain facts we expect from all of them, especially the range of dates these boards were assembled and when games were released.  Something to far out of that window, no matter how "perfect", would receive exceptional scrutiny, and I'd expect nothing less than that.