IGNORED

Price check - Punch-Out!! (5 screws, European version)

Kekerino

1 hour ago, OptOut said:

That is the USA version of the back label too, not the usual European one.

I've been checking pictures online, looks like earlier European version carts DID use the US version back-label, until they changed it for release in a wider range of European countries.

Looks like the best possible scenario here is that it's just a fake label, but the only way to be sure is to see the PCB. If the dates don't match up with the earlier release, or if it's a fake board, then obviously they have just cannibalised a genuine 5-screw shell, printed off a repro label, and swapped in the Punch Out board.

Let's see that PCB!

Before making any assumptions, you should know that I purchased the game from an old man nearby (not from any sketchy online shop) who was clearing out his basement. He purchased it for his kids in the 80's from a well known local video-game store called Hegdals TV-spel (I removed the old price and store sticker myself).

@Brickman Obviously the game is very old so the difference in colors can occur so there is nothing wrong about that. According to the NES Cart Database, another PAL-version doesn't have the catalog ID (e.g. NES-PT-EEC) visible on the front so that is definitely not a sign of it being a fake, it shows that it is an old standard. (https://nescartdb.com/profile/view/4322/mike-tysons-punch-out) The corner of the front label was bent when I got it so I tried to fix it as good as I could - the game was used by his kids so this is just a common sign of wear and tear.

@OptOut Sure, I'm attaching a picture of the circuit board. Thanks for checking up the information about the back label, that's interesting! By the way, I noticed that the 2-digit code "11" is imprinted on the back label so that is a good sign. The picture that you posted is a newer version compared to mine so maybe that's why you think it looks "off"? I don't see anything strange about this. 🧐

PCB.jpg

Edited by Kekerino
  • Thanks 1

Events Helper · Posted
27 minutes ago, Kekerino said:

Before making any assumptions, you should know that I purchased the game from an old man nearby (not from any sketchy online shop) who was clearing out his basement. He purchased it for his kids in the 80's from a well known local video-game store called Hegdals TV-spel (I removed the old price and store sticker myself).

@Brickman Obviously the game is very old so the difference in colors can occur so there is nothing wrong about that. According to the NES Cart Database, another PAL-version doesn't have the catalog ID (e.g. NES-PT-EEC) visible on the front so that is definitely not a sign of it being a fake, it shows that it is an old standard. (https://nescartdb.com/profile/view/4322/mike-tysons-punch-out) The corner of the front label was bent when I got it so I tried to fix it as good as I could - the game was used by his kids so this is just a common sign of wear and tear.

@OptOut Sure, I'm attaching a picture of the circuit board. Thanks for checking up the information about the back label, that's interesting! By the way, I noticed that the 2-digit code "11" is imprinted on the back label so that is a good sign. The picture that you posted is a newer version compared to mine so maybe that's why you think it looks "off"? I don't see anything strange about this. 🧐

PCB.jpg

I can definitely see some difference on the label myself, but I don't really know too much about anything like this.  to me, it does look like the left side was cutoff in printing, but idk.  if u look at the glove for the fighter on the left, a shiny spot shows on the one @OptOut posted, but not on the one u posted.  idk if maybe it was a bad print job on the og label or what.  just offering up my 2 cents.  the real thing to do would be find another one like it that is authenticated or whatever, but obviously I would assume that is why u are here lol.  anyway, good luck, the off center/cutoff left side is definitely suspicious, but like i said, could be an early print or something i really dont know.  

• Agree 1

It's just funny because the label there looks JUST like this one on that sketchy website, and wouldn't you know it, they ALSO seem to be selling a 5-screw version of the game, which is so rare I've never even HEARD of a PAL 5-screw Tyson before...

image.png.c0e60cc7903a217a4eb595744bd7af17.png

Hand on heart, I'm calling it a Frankenstein jobby. Board swap into a real 5-screw shell, fake label.

I could be wrong there, maybe it is legit and just had the label replaced, but whatever it is, that label is fake dude, sorry. 😬

Edited by OptOut
  • Agree 1

@Jeevan @OptOut I don't want to sound rude but I must say that both of you are wrong about this since I know for a fact that all of this is legit. However, I didn't start this thread to ask you about if it is legit or not, I simply wanted to find out what the value of such a game cartridge would be. I really do appreciate that you guys are trying to help me out though, so thanks a lot for that! 🤖

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

6 minutes ago, Kekerino said:

I know for a fact that all of this is legit.

I mean I haven't seen evidence of that. If you present evidence that this is a legit 5-screw PAL Tyson, then I will believe it, but until then I remain skeptical.

How do you explain the fact an almost identical copy to your one is being sold on a website that also stocks reproduction games with fake labels?

I don't mean to be rude to you either, but I am not going to humour this game as legitimate, with a blatantly fake label on it.

If your want a price for a LEGIT PAL 5-screw Tyson, I'm afraid there is no record of such a sale.

The one you have there, in its evident condition, would be worth basically nothing, unless you could convince someone it was real. 😕

• Like 1

I am not trying to convince anyone, I am simply trying to figure out the value. If the old man who was mainly trying to sell his Zapper (bought in the same store in the 80's for his kids) with some games on the side that he found in his basement really wanted to scam someone, then I guess he wouldn't sell it for $14. 🤣 So a cartridge like this has never been sold before? That's surprising! 😱 So what do you guys think about the PCB? @OptOut@JeevanDid you figure something out?

3 minutes ago, Kekerino said:

I am not trying to convince anyone, I am simply trying to figure out the value. If the old man who was mainly trying to sell his Zapper (bought in the same store in the 80's for his kids) with some games on the side that he found in his basement really wanted to scam someone, then I guess he wouldn't sell it for $14. 🤣 So a cartridge like this has never been sold before? That's surprising! 😱 So what do you guys think about the PCB? @OptOut@JeevanDid you figure something out?

The PCB is legit, and the outer shell appears to be legit also. But it doesn't take more than a minute or two with a screwdriver to swap a PCB from one cart to another.

Can you get us a picture of the top of the label as well? Where it goes over from the front onto the top edge?

You still haven't answered my question BTW. Why do you think a game with the exact same looking fake label is on that dodgy website?

• Agree 1

@Kekerino Here's the thing.  First, I try to have a positive attitude and assume the best of people.  @OptOut is a pretty good guy but he's very knowledgeable and will call out something that's off if it is.  Unfortunately, this is "off", and that's all he's saying.

You can't assign a value to something that you, personally, see as a hacked together fake.  Sure, hypothetically, I bet Opty could throw out a number if such a thing existed, but since there is no recorded case of such an item, and the closest item to what you have anywhere on the web is a fake label that looks exactly like yours (ignoring the label damage) on a repro cart, Optout has to take that into consideration.

Also, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  You signed up to this forum on Sunday and have only posted about this game.  That doesn't mean you're a liar, but it does mean that you are an anonymous nobody and it is possible that you made up the story and hacked together this cart hoping to get "someone on the internet" to validate it as for future reference on a future sale.  This type of scamming happens.

People post stuff like this all the time, then once they get a quoted price "heh, uh, if it's legit it might be worth $156,578!", they then let it sit for six months to maybe a couple of years.  At that point, they then try to sell the game and hope that whoever wants to buy it will find their thread from months to years earlier.  This "validates" the game, when really it's a knock off fake scam that was long in the works.

Are you doing this?  I hope not but I have learned to never fully trust anyone on the internet until they've earned that trust.  Your trust level starts at 0, and from their it can go up if you hang around a while, trade with people and build a solid reputation.

I don't know about PAL games but even if your "old grandpa" story is legit, his story is off.  You don't have to be a PAL guy to spot fake labels, and straight-up yours is fake.  I'm not trying to be mean, I'm not necessarily calling you a liar, but I am calling that game label out as a fake, so something fishy has taken place here. 

You don't have to believe us, but there are far to many signs to call this game legit.  Even that label damage is suspicious because that's something scammers also do.  A perfect game is less believable than a slightly-damaged one.  Check!  This game has a partially damaged label, and I'd expected that from a never-before-seen game that was faked.

Edited by RH
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, OptOut said:

The PCB is legit, and the outer shell appears to be legit also. But it doesn't take more than a minute or two with a screwdriver to swap a PCB from one cart to another.

Can you get us a picture of the top of the label as well? Where it goes over from the front onto the top edge?

You still haven't answered my question BTW. Why do you think a game with the exact same looking fake label is on that dodgy website?

Okay, that's good to hear. Thanks for the information!

I wonder, since none of you have ever seen a European version of this game with 5 screws then what are you comparing it with and how do you know what is legit or fake? The only thing I know for a fact is that I bought it from an old man who got it from an old video-game store in the 80's which doesn't exist anymore - I guess the stickers that I removed are the only physical proof that I have.

I believe that there will always be knock-off products no matter what kind of product it is, but that doesn't change the fact that I purchased a real one.

It seems like you doubt my story about where I purchased the game from, so I could take some screenshots of the ad if that would prove that I DIDN'T buy it from any sketchy website.

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Kekerino said:

I am not trying to convince you, trust me for your sake I hope it is real, but I'm just stating my opinion in the fact that 2 people from PAL land seem to think its fishy, so to me, sum of its parts, no more on value, so however much a damaged tyson would go for with a sus label.  If u can prove it eventually then great 😀  that would be a great thing to have, but even @Sumez when I asked said that Europe got game releases later and doubted that very many if any at all 5 screws existed.

1 hour ago, Kekerino said:

@Jeevan @OptOut I don't want to sound rude but I must say that both of you are wrong about this since I know for a fact that all of this is legit. However, I didn't start this thread to ask you about if it is legit or not, I simply wanted to find out what the value of such a game cartridge would be. I really do appreciate that you guys are trying to help me out though, so thanks a lot for that! 🤖

1. If you are that convinced it's legit, throw it up for auction and see what it goes for. You could also just list it for some insanely high dollar amount OBO and see if there is any interest.

2. You are asking to find out the value and that all depends on if an item is legit or not. Some people are questioning the authenticity of the item you have presented, which obviously hurts the value and might make it worth nothing.

No one here is out to "get you" and immediately deem something as a reproduction, they are simply trying to help. "Knowing it's a legit item" and asking for a value doesn't make it "legit". I don't know much about this game, but if it's fake, it's not going to be worth much, if anything at all. Good luck.

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Kekerino said:

It seems like you doubt my story about where I purchased the game from, so I could take some screenshots of the ad if that would prove that I DIDN'T buy it from any sketchy website.

if u can find an earlier version of the label that would be a good indication that it is real.  so if u can find a label that looks like that on an authenticated cart, 3 or 5 screw, then u got some validity.

1 hour ago, RH said:

@Kekerino Here's the thing.  First, I try to have a positive attitude and assume the best of people.  @OptOut is a pretty good guy but he's very knowledgeable and will call out something that's off if it is.  Unfortunately, this is "off", and that's all he's saying.

You can't assign a value to something that you, personally, see as a hacked together fake.  Sure, hypothetically, I bet Opty could throw out a number if such a thing existed, but since there is no recorded case of such an item, and the closest item to what you have anywhere on the web is a fake label that looks exactly like yours (ignoring the label damage) on a repro cart, Optout has to take that into consideration.

Also, extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.  You signed up to this forum on Sunday and have only posted about this game.  That doesn't mean you're a liar, but it does mean that you are an anonymous nobody and it is possible that you made up the story and hacked together this cart hoping to get "someone on the internet" to validate it as for future reference on a future sale.  This type of scamming happens.

People post stuff like this all the time, then once they get a quoted price "heh, uh, if it's legit it might be worth $156,578!", they then let it sit for six months to maybe a couple of years.  At that point, they then try to sell the game and hope that whoever wants to buy it will find their thread from months to years earlier.  This "validates" the game, when really it's a knock off fake scam that was long in the works.

Are you doing this?  I hope not but I have learned to never fully trust anyone on the internet until they've earned that trust.  Your trust level starts at 0, and from their it can go up if you hang around a while, trade with people and build a solid reputation.

I don't know about PAL games but even if your "old grandpa" story is legit, his story is off.  You don't have to be a PAL guy to spot fake labels, and straight-up yours is fake.  I'm not trying to be mean, I'm not necessarily calling you a liar, but I am calling that game label out as a fake, so something fishy has taken place here. 

You don't have to believe us, but there are far to many signs to call this game legit.  Even that label damage is suspicious because that's something scammers also do.  A perfect game is less believable than a slightly-damaged one.  Check!  This game has a partially damaged label, and I'd expected that from a never-before-seen game that was faked.

I didn't think that the game that I bought was this rare, so rare that people would actually doubt that it's real and calling it a fake etc. But now I understand that there is a big knock-off business within this market and that proof of authenticity is very important. Unfortunately, the person who owned the game before me doesn't have any receipt or box since it was purchased such a long time ago and it had no special value at that time.

I found this forum when I was desperately trying to find out the value of this game (I could only find American versions), since there were other threads about this title here - I figured that someone in here will for sure know how much it's worth. So I registered here simply to see if anyone knew how much one of these games usually goes for but now I see that it's not so easy. I am not looking for anyone to "put a good word", I just wanted help to decide what price to put out my ad for since I have absolutely no idea of how much it's worth. I get that no one here can validate if my game is legit or not, I never asked for such help. I am not here to earn trust either, since I am not in to collecting, buying or selling games, it's the first time I do this. I was just hoping for a quick reply like "it's worth around this" and that's all.

I understand that you are doubting the authenticity of the game since it seems like you have a lot of experience within this topic. However, I know that this game is from a legit source so now I am still trying to figure out what to sell the game for. Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it!

17 minutes ago, Brickman said:

How do you know the person was some old man? It was shipped to you. Scammers on the Internet could be anyone, even on FB. 

Maybe take some pictures of the top of the label so we can see what that looks like.

Because Sweden has a transparent public registry of its residents so I could simply verify his identity online with the help of his phone number which was used in the a secure payment from me to him (he is 60 years old, not super old but hey).

Yes, I can take more pictures for you guys to analyze.

1 hour ago, Jeevan said:

if u can find an earlier version of the label that would be a good indication that it is real.  so if u can find a label that looks like that on an authenticated cart, 3 or 5 screw, then u got some validity.

How should I find an earlier version when the version I have might be the earliest version out there? I don't quite understand the idea of validating the legitimacy of the game with the help of another one that doesn't exist? The look of the labels seems to be different depending on what year the game was released, how many screws it has and what region it was released in.

Events Helper · Posted
Just now, Kekerino said:

How should I find an earlier version when the version I have might be the earliest version out there? I don't quite understand the idea of validating the legitimacy of the game with the help of another one that doesn't exist? The look of the labels seems to be different depending on what year the game was released, how many screws it has and what region it was released in.

I get what u are saying, but I highly doubt this would be the only one in existence if it was legit.  I don't know a good way to find it, try searching for Facebook groups, anything else in Europe and see if anybody has any.  really, I know you came here looking for answers, and I wish we could do that for ya, but I don't know that we have too many people here who collect a lot of PAL besides the 2 folks, @Brickman and @OptOut, who have already chimed in and are from those respective regions.  So with that, if I were you, I woul look elsewhere as well to try and verify it because if it ended up being real, it could be worth who knows how much.  The problem is we don't know because we can't verify it is authentic so as much as we wish we could give u an answer, we can't, and i would feel bad trying to sell that for more than it is worth if i couldnt prove it was real.  maybe you should try to contact someone at nintendo or something to see if they have any archival type deal you can validate it with.  

Another thing is, not calling you a liar or anything else, but the ONLY thing we can find with a label like that is a repro of that cart.  We can't help u with a price point if we can't validate it.  To us it is worthless, or about the cost of a pcb......

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mega Tank said:

1. If you are that convinced it's legit, throw it up for auction and see what it goes for. You could also just list it for some insanely high dollar amount OBO and see if there is any interest.

2. You are asking to find out the value and that all depends on if an item is legit or not. Some people are questioning the authenticity of the item you have presented, which obviously hurts the value and might make it worth nothing.

No one here is out to "get you" and immediately deem something as a reproduction, they are simply trying to help. "Knowing it's a legit item" and asking for a value doesn't make it "legit". I don't know much about this game, but if it's fake, it's not going to be worth much, if anything at all. Good luck.

Thanks for your comment! I think that is what I will have to do since no one has ever seen a game like this. I am truly surprised about the rarity of this game and the level of skepticism around here but I guess everyone has their reasons. It would be interesting if someone with professional knowledge would be able to inspect the game in real life but I don't know if there is anyone in Sweden where I live. I will try to find someone!