IGNORED

2022 VGS NES Weekly Contest - Flappy

BeaIank

Events Team · Posted

Ladies and gentlemen, this week we are going to be puzzled by... FLAPPY!

The rules for this week are simple:

• Play 1P mode
  • Play till you reach your last life or till you reach Side 26.
  • If you reach Side 26, take your picture immediately
  • Highest score wins
  • Genre: Puzzle

Game on, ladies and gentlemen!

The contest ends Sunday, 07/03/22 at 11 pm EST.  Your user name should be written or typed on a piece of paper and be in the picture for your score to be valid. For speed runs that require video, that is not required.  The entire TV screen, or computer monitor if you are playing on an emulator, MUST be in the picture for the score to be valid.  No partial screenshots will be considered or accepted.  No screenshots by hitting "print screen" on a computer will be allowed.  You must take a picture of your computer monitor.  There may be instances where this will be acceptable, but it will be at the discretion of myself and the contest organizers.  Also, the use of turbo controllers is forbidden, as well as any cheat codes, Game Genies, slow motion functions, or save states if playing on an emulator.  Also, we will only be using NTSC systems for the contests.  The use of PAL systems will NOT be allowed.  Good luck everyone and have fun.

49 minutes ago, Johnny Nunchucks said:

My ongoing struggle: I figure out what I need to do in order to solve the puzzle!
...annnnd then I accidentally crush a crucial boulder meatball, and have to restart.

Dem Meatballs be dry!  I can relate.  I also wish Flappy was agile enough to turn and throw a shroom at the last second...

• Agree 2

Can anyone enlighten me on what precisely causes the red stones to spontaneously disintegrate when they are perched halfway over/under another?

I know pushing against them when something else is on their direct opposite side causes disintegration, but sometimes they disintegrate when Flappy isn't even touching it.

At first I thought maybe they could only maintain integrity in perched position for a certain amount of time but that isn't it.  Sometimes when Flappy shoves one over a half space the one above instantly collapses...

1 minute ago, PII said:

Can anyone enlighten me on what precisely causes the red stones to spontaneously disintegrate when they are perched halfway over/under another?

User input 😉  Seriously, though, the only way I'm aware of to melt a meatball is by squishing it against something.

Incidentally, I find it highly amusing that the programmers said "fuck the laws of physics" and made it both a side view game (with the boulders) and a top down game (for the protagonist) at the exact same time!!!  That is some high level 1985 meta shit, right there... 🤔

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Incidentally, I find it highly amusing that the programmers said "fuck the laws of physics" and made it both a side view game (with the boulders) and a top down game (for the protagonist) at the exact same time!!!  That is some high level 1985 meta shit, right there... 🤔

Oh, I can solve that one no problem.  The whole thing takes place on an incline.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

User input 😉  Seriously, though, the only way I'm aware of to melt a meatball is by squishing it against something.

Yeah, I thought so and then decided no, and now after a little more shovin' around I just hope that's all there is to it...

Anyone got a good recommendation for the cheapest (but reliable) NES flash cart?

I ask because I think I'm done with this game.  When I emulate, I use a Switch Pro controller, and there's something about the d-pad on it that easily rolls into other directions.  This game is very picky on your inputs and I can't always keep things "straight" as I roll around the d-pad, and sometimes pushing left or right will push up.  It's like it rolls and taps that up button and it registers the tap, and it screws up the movement of Flappy.

Anyway, this is a fun game but I've got to tighten up my gaming setup if I really want to get better.

8 hours ago, RH said:

I ask because I think I'm done with this game.  When I emulate, I use a Switch Pro controller, and there's something about the d-pad on it that easily rolls into other directions.  This game is very picky on your inputs and I can't always keep things "straight" as I roll around the d-pad, and sometimes pushing left or right will push up.  It's like it rolls and taps that up button and it registers the tap, and it screws up the movement of Flappy.

Anyway, this is a fun game but I've got to tighten up my gaming setup if I really want to get better.

I've been having the exact same problem with my standard NES controller which I've never had before except for when I was using a horrible nes-repro-hdmi piece of crap that would do that with every game.  I believe we were playing battle city about this time last summer when I got fed up with it and someone recommended this attachment so that a regular NES controller could be used and it's great, except with Flappy for some reason.  I've tried two different controllers so far.  It's usually not too bad, but then all of a sudden Flappy wants to move up every time I hit left/right.  Not sure I have an answer for you, just thought I'd add what I know...  I was thinking, maybe Flappy is just really sensitive to this for some reason.  And maybe its because my NES controller is 30+ years old, but if your switch-pro controller is having the same issue, I've gotta think all the more, that its the game....

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2022 at 11:01 AM, RH said:

Anyone got a good recommendation for the cheapest (but reliable) NES flash cart?

I've got a standard Everdrive N8 and it has worked fine for me. They are right around $100.

https://stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-n8-base-nes.html

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I've got a standard Everdrive N8 and it has worked fine for me. They are right around $100.

https://stoneagegamer.com/everdrive-n8-base-nes.html

Thanks.  Unfortunately they don't take back orders, but I'll get my name on the mailing list so hopefully I can nab one when they are in stock again.