IGNORED

Mario Strikers Battle League Switch (and really all Strikers games Thread)

Makar

Today marks the release of the latest addition to the Mario Strikers soccer franchise. The last one was Mario Strikers Charged on the Wii, which was released 15 years ago and will be tough to live up to (it may be my favorite Wii game). Here’s to hoping this one is as good or better than Charged. 

Chat all things Mario Strikers Battle League here, and reminisce of the days of old regarding the previous 2 games in the series.

Who’s getting it or already has it and how is it? 

https://www.nintendo.com/store/products/mario-strikers-battle-league-switch/

image.jpeg.076b27e85553137bf6a78b36f202ad0e.jpeg

Have Super Mario Strikers on GameCube (and actually play it using a GameCube, not a Wii), which is still fun to play occasionally. Haven't played the one on Wii.

I'll buy Mario Strikers: Battle League eventually, but haven't decided yet if I'm going to buy it or TMNT: Shredder's Revenge next.

Still fun after all these years. Also imported the European release and a Pearl White GameCube.

Edited by MegaMan52
  • Like 1

I got to play strikers battle league for about an hour yesterday. I’ll definitely be picking it up but it does seem like a downgrade from Charged. 

There are only 10 characters in the game. yes 10. And only one sidekick made it back - Toad. No dry bones, no boo, no hammer bros, nothing. 

None of the characters have special moves unless they do their hyper smash thing. If you hold down shoot until it maxes out, there is no special shot like in charged. 

No 6 goal specials. Back to a max of 2 goals with a special. 

The characters are pretty slow. Putting on gear is a must to be competitive. 

The hitting is different. No more smacking people into walls automatically. Often when you hit a player, not only will they not go into the wall, they won’t even lose the ball. 

The controls seem a little wonky but that could just take some getting used to. The pass and shoot buttons seem like they should be swapped for example. 

So yea, VERY different from Charged. It really seems like they went back to the mechanics of the first strikers game which is a downgrade imo. Still fun but you’d think after 15 years of waiting, this would be a big upgrade from Charged or at least equal to it but sadly it’s not. Still good, but it’s no Charged. 

• Sad 1
  • Agree 1

On 6/14/2022 at 5:59 PM, Lynda Monica said:

Edit: I had a big rant here about Daisy's exclusion, but felt it best to remove it and simplify it to a single statement. I'm not buying the game until Daisy is added.

I’m surprised this is the breaking point for a lot of people. They left out a LOT of characters, not just Daisy. 

1 hour ago, Makar said:

I’m surprised this is the breaking point for a lot of people. They left out a LOT of characters, not just Daisy. 

In the long rant I deleted, I mentioned that part of why it stings for Dasiy in particular is that the original Strikers was the game that fully established what Daisy was, and launched her from fun side character into huge fan favourite. People liked her before Strikers, but she skyrocketed in popularity after Strikers.

It's frustrating that when they finally made a new game in the Strikers series, the original game's breakout character got left behind. It's not even the first time Daisy hasn't been included in a Mario spin off, as she didn't show up in any of the GBA games, (excluding one e-reader card) but to be left out of Strikers in particular is why fans of Daisy are really upset.

Edited by Lynda Monica
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Lynda Monica said:

In the long rant I deleted, I mentioned that part of why it stings for Dasiy in particular is that the original Strikers was the game that fully established what Daisy was, and launched her from fun side character into huge fan favourite. People liked her before Strikers, but she skyrocketed in popularity after Strikers.

It's frustrating that when they finally made a new game in the Strikers series, the original game's breakout character got left behind. It's not even the first time Daisy hasn't been included in a Mario spin off, as she didn't show up in any of the GBA games, (excluding one e-reader card) but to be left out of Strikers in particular is why fans of Daisy are really upset.

Gotcha. I still view her as a side character just like Waluigi. I think Nintendo has tried to push Rosalina as the other main princess besides Peach over the years. It’s just weird though. 10 characters is really slim. To give you an idea of how low that is, that’s just 2 more than were in Super Mario Kart. Strikers had 12 and Charged had 20. We were very spoiled with Charged in retrospect.

Here’s to hoping they add several characters via DLC eventually. I’m not very confident they’ll do this though. 

Events Helper · Posted
11 minutes ago, AstralSoul said:

I had a long rant about this game typed out but I'll shorten it to: "This game is not good, it's inferior in every way to Mario Strikers Charged on Wii, and is yet another Mario spinoff that feels like a cheap cash-in for Nintendo"

agreed, I'm actually disappointed a bit with this game, but it can be a good game night game, so there is that 😉  I don't see myself playing too much outside of a game night honestly, which sux kuz I was hoping, but I did have a gift card for work and only paid 10 bux for it so I can't complain too much

On 6/17/2022 at 7:05 PM, Makar said:

Gotcha. I still view her as a side character just like Waluigi. I think Nintendo has tried to push Rosalina as the other main princess besides Peach over the years. It’s just weird though. 10 characters is really slim. To give you an idea of how low that is, that’s just 2 more than were in Super Mario Kart. Strikers had 12 and Charged had 20. We were very spoiled with Charged in retrospect.

Here’s to hoping they add several characters via DLC eventually. I’m not very confident they’ll do this though. 

hopefully dlc comes free....not sure I would buy characters lol...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

agreed, I'm actually disappointed a bit with this game, but it can be a good game night game, so there is that 😉  I don't see myself playing too much outside of a game night honestly, which sux kuz I was hoping, but I did have a gift card for work and only paid 10 bux for it so I can't complain too much

If they add content to it, I imagine it will be free, like they did for Mario Tennis Aces. But for me personally that is too long to wait for more content. 

• Agree 1

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, AstralSoul said:

If they add content to it, I imagine it will be free, like they did for Mario Tennis Aces. But for me personally that is too long to wait for more content. 

ya, if they had an easier way to get coins for upgraded equipment that would be nice lol.  last I played, I finally beat a single cup......I lost all the others via the losers bracket lol

56 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

If they add DLC they need to basically redo the entire game and give every single character specials besides the hyper strike. That was what made Charged so fun. Zapping enemies with dry bones, invisiboo, sissy sucking people up into the air, wallu-wall. THAT is what made that game what it was. 

1 hour ago, AstralSoul said:

I had a long rant about this game typed out but I'll shorten it to: "This game is not good, it's inferior in every way to Mario Strikers Charged on Wii, and is yet another Mario spinoff that feels like a cheap cash-in for Nintendo"

I wouldn’t say it’s a bad game. It’s just not Charged. It much closer resembles the first strikers but it is a big disappointment for what I was hoping this game would be. 

Events Helper · Posted
10 minutes ago, Makar said:

If they add DLC they need to basically redo the entire game and give every single character specials besides the hyper strike. That was what made Charged so fun. Zapping enemies with dry bones, invisiboo, sissy sucking people up into the air, wallu-wall. THAT is what made that game what it was. 

unfortunately I can only compare it to the gamecube one because I haven't played any others lol.  I remember the gamecube being fun tho. but it has been since the gamecube era since I played it so idk......

2 hours ago, Jeevan said:

unfortunately I can only compare it to the gamecube one because I haven't played any others lol.  I remember the gamecube being fun tho. but it has been since the gamecube era since I played it so idk......

Do yourself a favor and please play Charged on the Wii. By far the best one and it’s a blast. 

Events Helper · Posted
1 hour ago, Makar said:

Do yourself a favor and please play Charged on the Wii. By far the best one and it’s a blast. 

I have a wii.....don't know if any of the controllers are good lol...I haven't used it since I got bored with the virtual console.

49 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

I have a wii.....don't know if any of the controllers are good lol...I haven't used it since I got bored with the virtual console.

Boy. I will send you a controller if that’s what’s holding you back lol

23 hours ago, Makar said:

I wouldn’t say it’s a bad game. It’s just not Charged. It much closer resembles the first strikers but it is a big disappointment for what I was hoping this game would be. 

It's a bad sequel, more or less. They should've expanded on the Strikers formula they already had and added new things to it. Instead they basically rebuilt the first Strikers game but worse under the guise of a "new" game.

Edited by AstralSoul

Woof, I'm surprised at the amount of genuine grief being shared in this thread!

I've never played any of the games, and I just wrote this one off as yet another Mario sports game I wouldn't play. 

But, looking at all the disappointment and everything going on in this thread I'm starting to feel invested!

We should write a letter or start a petition or something, damn it Nintendo!!! BRING BACK DAISY AND MAKE MARIO STRIKERS GUD!!! 🤬

1 hour ago, AstralSoul said:

It's a bad sequel, more or less. They should've expanded on the Strikers formula they already had and added new things to it. Instead they basically rebuilt the first Strikers game but worse under the guise of a "new" game.

Definitely agree with what you’re saying. They definitely went backwards in the series. Even a parallel move would’ve been fine since Charged was so good.