IGNORED

NES “for business” black Japanese cartridge. Anyone seen this before?

pacowles

Hey all,

I came across a cartridge for sale that I’ve never seen before, and wanted to see if anyone from the VGS community could offer any context. The cart appears to be black with an upside down Japanese label indicating that the game is Adventure Island, and the text near the Mario image translates to “for business.” I tried a google search, but came up empty handed. I have attached an image, if that helps. 

Has anyone ever come across a cart like this and, if so, do you have any context on relative value/rarity? I’m a huge Adventure Island fan, so I’m tempted to pick it up, but I want to understand what it is first. Thanks in advance for any input!

NES Bus Takahashi.jpg

@MrWunderful - The cost would be around $120 USD shipped. The seller is in Japan. Since you have some experience with these carts, do you know if they can be played in an NTSC NES console, or something like the AVS/Analogue NT? The form factor looks identical to an NTSC NES cart, but I can’t find a definitive answer online as to whether they can be played as such on a US console. 

35 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

They're 72 pin and NTSC, so there shouldn't be any reason they wouldn't work.

Unless they have a lockout chip, as it probably would be different than the North American one.  If you're using a clipped NES, these carts should work no problem, but an unmodified NES might blink on the title screen for all eternity...

• Like 1

I think the black shell is pretty cool. I like the uniformity of NES carts, but I wish we got a bunch of different colors like the Famicom did, instead of just grey for everything. I wish the same was true for SFC carts though. And Switch end labels. 😐

$120 sounds like a good price to me though. If you regret the purchase I don't think you'll have trouble making your money back.

@Code Monkey - I had no idea that the parent system was called Famicombox until someone provided a link with context in this thread. All I had to go on was that this was a black Adventure Island cartridge labeled “for business” in Japanese with an upside down label. Google searches including combinations of those terms mostly returned results for home brew carts in aftermarket black shells. Not sure how you searched in your screenshot above, but I wasn’t finding anything. 

9 hours ago, pacowles said:

@Code Monkey - I had no idea that the parent system was called Famicombox until someone provided a link with context in this thread. All I had to go on was that this was a black Adventure Island cartridge labeled “for business” in Japanese with an upside down label. Google searches including combinations of those terms mostly returned results for home brew carts in aftermarket black shells. Not sure how you searched in your screenshot above, but I wasn’t finding anything. 

Wait, you were using text to search for images? I just pointed my phone at the screen and used Google Lens.