IGNORED

Shout!Cult channel

Tabonga

I got an email on this today - apparently started last week. 

"Shout! Factory TV presents Shout! Cult, a 24/7 FREE channel dedicated to beloved movies from the past whose fans have made timeless. Shout! Cult's lineup will feature some of your favorite directors, actors, and musicians, including Ron Howard, The Ramones, Farrah Fawcett, Peter Dinklage, Vanity, David Hasselhoff, Don Johnson, Dennis Quaid, and Steve James, with 10 new titles added each month. Shout! Cult is available to watch at ShoutCult.com and on Shout! Factory TV's apps on Amazon Fire TV, Android, Apple TV, and Roku. You can also follow Shout! Cult on Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. Check out today's schedule!"

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Thanks for the heads up on this!  I just added it to my TV out of curiosity and already found several movies that I hadn't seen in a while, but basically only because they'd disappeared off of other streaming services.  There are annoying ads that will interrupt every so often, but it's better than not being able to find the content at all!

35 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Thanks for the heads up on this!  I just added it to my TV out of curiosity and already found several movies that I hadn't seen in a while, but basically only because they'd disappeared off of other streaming services.  There are annoying ads that will interrupt every so often, but it's better than not being able to find the content at all!

You are indeed welcome - I just have to remember to check what is on the cycle each day of each week.   I missed out on Attack of the Crab Monsters - I am sure it will pop up again though.

Ooooh I'm all in.  The crazy stuff they run from old rubber monster movies and other stuff MST3K would pan, and legit decent decades past stuff too is great.

For some years they've had an antenna hd channel called ShoutTV that SLING picks up as well, so I'm curious to see the overlap and if they have some mobile app too.  Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Ooooh I'm all in.  The crazy stuff they run from old rubber monster movies and other stuff MST3K would pan, and legit decent decades past stuff too is great.

For some years they've had an antenna hd channel called ShoutTV that SLING picks up as well, so I'm curious to see the overlap and if they have some mobile app too.  Thanks.

You are also indeed welcome.

I caught the last 1/2 of Living In Oblivion when I first set it up on my Roku - great movie.

Shame it needs the apple tv device.

I've been poking at it a bit, I mean I have sling but it has just shout channel.  It seems they're more happy having people just stream from their website than have a dedicated app for their channels which is a shame.  I've got Gamera going in the background, good stuff.  Another (cult?) had Capricorn going.

2 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

Shame it needs the apple tv device.

I've been poking at it a bit, I mean I have sling but it has just shout channel.  It seems they're more happy having people just stream from their website than have a dedicated app for their channels which is a shame.  I've got Gamera going in the background, good stuff.  Another (cult?) had Capricorn going.

Doyou have roku?

4 hours ago, Tabonga said:

You are indeed welcome - I just have to remember to check what is on the cycle each day of each week.   I missed out on Attack of the Crab Monsters - I am sure it will pop up again though.

The live stuff is definitely neat, but if you've got any sort of setup similar to a Roku, you should check that out, as they're showing 30-something "channels" of on-demand, ad-supported content, sorted by subject.  If you're familiar with "The Roku Channel" from any Roku product, and the setup (even the ads) seems to be spot on.  I was a little saddened that they didn't also offer this via their website (so my ad blocker could take care of the random interrupts of 1-3 minutes of ads, seriously, just show them all to me at the beginning or end and I'll let them run without complaint), but the content is there, so I can't complain too loudly.

13 hours ago, Tabonga said:

Doyou have roku?

Firesticks in this house, nothing else.  I have Sling which gets their one streaming primary channel, but not all the other sub-ones like that slick Japanese rubber monster stuff.  Between Sling and what Tubi can do, that's it.

It seems pretty stupid and short sighted of them to have an IOS app but only for the apple tv modules, and not for ios/ipados for mobile.  Those mobile devices have far superior hardware in those to deliver a better experience.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

Why is my Samsung smart TV so dumb?  I can't get this or Gizmo Plex for MST3K.

I had the same issue with mine, the options available are extremely lacking. I bought an Nvidia Shield to have a fully equipped Android box instead. If you're on a budget a Fire Stick or other alternative would also work. Just straight up Android TV. 

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

I had the same issue with mine, the options available are extremely lacking. I bought an Nvidia Shield to have a fully equipped Android box instead. If you're on a budget a Fire Stick or other alternative would also work. Just straight up Android TV. 

I would recommend a Roku stick before a Fire Stick.  They're usualy roughly the same cost, but we had much, much better overall performance out of our Roku stick versus the constant glitchiness and weirdness that we experienced with the Fire stick.

Yes, they both do basically the same thing, but beyond occasional (constant?) weirdness due to various updates to the Fire stick, there was also its infuriating habit of never turning completely off and, on any HDMI hub it was plugged into, constantly, and randomly, sending an "on" (or "sync") signal, which would cause whatever else you were doing to be temporarily lost as the automatic switcher changed to that input, even though the stick was "off" (asleep).  Mildly annoying the first time or two it happens, then increasingly more infuriating, especially when it blinds you in the middle of some time sensitive, twitchy game or another.  The Roku stick never did any of that, not even once, and really, the only down side I ever noticed with it was that it didn't offer a Twitch channel/app, and solely due to Twitch being owned by Amazon.

The Fire stick was neat in that you could "hack" it to be able to sideload stuff onto it (such as some XBox Media Center derivative + Kodi), but super annoying in that you had to either connect it to its own, dedicated HDMI port or unplug the cable from it when you weren't using it in order to keep it from constantly pulling the active switcher channel back to itself.  Performance-wise, it was also less robust than what the Roku offered, as its apps would load and react more slowly than those on the comparable Roku stick, as well as lock up and/or crash much more frequently.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

I would recommend a Roku stick before a Fire Stick.  They're usualy roughly the same cost, but we had much, much better overall performance out of our Roku stick versus the constant glitchiness and weirdness that we experienced with the Fire stick.

Yes, they both do basically the same thing, but beyond occasional (constant?) weirdness due to various updates to the Fire stick, there was also its infuriating habit of never turning completely off and, on any HDMI hub it was plugged into, constantly, and randomly, sending an "on" (or "sync") signal, which would cause whatever else you were doing to be temporarily lost as the automatic switcher changed to that input, even though the stick was "off" (asleep).  Mildly annoying the first time or two it happens, then increasingly more infuriating, especially when it blinds you in the middle of some time sensitive, twitchy game or another.  The Roku stick never did any of that, not even once, and really, the only down side I ever noticed with it was that it didn't offer a Twitch channel/app, and solely due to Twitch being owned by Amazon.

The Fire stick was neat in that you could "hack" it to be able to sideload stuff onto it (such as some XBox Media Center derivative + Kodi), but super annoying in that you had to either connect it to its own, dedicated HDMI port or unplug the cable from it when you weren't using it in order to keep it from constantly pulling the active switcher channel back to itself.  Performance-wise, it was also less robust than what the Roku offered, as its apps would load and react more slowly than those on the comparable Roku stick, as well as lock up and/or crash much more frequently.

Fair nuf, I've not used either, just the Shield cuz I'm a gAmEr. 

I have that active fire stick issue, it sucks, but none of the rest.  I basically in here have a 2 port TV.  One has the stick, the other has an 8port HDMI switch and one on that going to another 5 port to keep my various HDMI devices all ready to go.  It's dumb, but works.

Never tried a Roku stick device, but I have like 4 Fire sticks in the house.  They all rock IMO, been overly pleased.  But they do stay on in sleep mode or something...

Have several Roku devices however (not sticks) and overall been very happy too.  But I've had to restart those way more times than a Fire stick.  Just sayin' 🙂