IGNORED

Legit Super Mario World Box on Ebay?

Super Mario World Super Nintendo SNES CIB Complete in Box - Rare Barn Find 3296580830602 | eBay

Condition seems too good to be true.  If it is a fake, it is the 1st I have seen that contains the 7 dots within the SNES 4 button impression on the lower right-hand side of the front of the box.  Typical fakes have 5.

Administrator · Posted

It does look to have some typical, though very minor wear on it. It's nicer than mine that's for sure, but I don't think it's fake based on what I can see and comparing to my own. Someone with more experience spotting fakes might disagree but looks to be the right cardboard to me. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Gloves said:

It does look to have some typical, though very minor wear on it. It's nicer than mine that's for sure, but I don't think it's fake based on what I can see and comparing to my own. Someone with more experience spotting fakes might disagree but looks to be the right cardboard to me. 

Thank you.  It is definitely nicer than mine as well.  It’s rare to find this box in great shape.

3 hours ago, jonebone said:

Definite fake, rear coloring is off and opening looks off too.  Sketchy seller calling it a barn find and of course he's playing the "I can't tell if this is real or not so please don't bid if you're scared" card.  

I can’t tell if this is real or not might be my biggest red flag. Especially saying that because I don’t think you’d be covered by eBay buyer protection since the seller isn’t claiming it’s authentic

Events Helper · Posted

The opening actually made me look twice.  in the first pic it looks weird, but also the side shots look weird as well with the curve to the box.  Maybe new crisp boxes do that, bit none of the boxes I have do that.  It's almost as if when they glued the box there was too much tension and it created a curve on both sides.  idk, just my thoughts.

Take a look at the open edge of the cardboard clearly viewable in 3 of the last 4 pics.  It is pristine, like it was pressed yesterday as opposed to 30 years ago.  The coloration is too light and the cardboard is also too thick for a SNES box.  Inside of a protector or not the color would have darkened over time and the various layers tend to show a little separation in the texture here and there, especially on the flap that was opened (which will typically be the one on the right side of the front face.)  My favorite detail is the hair-fine bits still sticking out that can be seen in the final photo, a very clear indication of recent manufacture.

If I owned a better camera than I do, I'd take some close ups of open edges on my near mint SNES boxes to illustrate how stark the difference is.

As has already been pointed out more or less, the description is loaded with red flags.  Zero feedback ratings with only one expensive item for sale should always give a buyer pause as well.

Maybe its just coincidence but the seller's handle: "illhurtya" almost made me laugh.  It's like an inside joke hiding in plain sight.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Wow, somebody got hosed for $1115.66 in pocket change after tax, presuming 5% for sales tax.  

Also, the Nintendo Seal Of Approval on the front lower left was nearly right next to the bottom edge.  Should be about the same space there as on it's left side, about 1/8".