IGNORED

Weight Loss, Dieting and Exercise.

Paul

Events Helper · Posted

honestly, my eating habits have changed and I get to try new things I wouldn't normally try as well.  upon changing eating habits, I also discovered new dishes, and cauliflower crusts and things of that nature.  granted, a big ole slice of meat lovers with normal crust is just damned delicious, but my palate is just fine with cauliflower Buffalo chicken, or cauliflower spinach and white sauce. 

hell,  I have been making up for lost time in the curry department making curry a main lunch dish on my days off when I'm not busy and forget to eat 🤣

either way, it's about motivation and self control/discipline.  Ya 5 slices of pizza is amazing, but i am content with 1 or 2 nowadays.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

No, but I do work in an office setting, so I'm sitting all day unless I motivate myself not to.

To reiterate, I know what to do. I lost 50 points in 2018 through working out, cutting my diet, motivation and discipline. No issues with knowing what to do. It's just getting motivated to do it. 

You already know no one can motivate you to do anything. That has to come from you, find that thing that makes you want to be better and focus on it. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

either way, it's about motivation and self control/discipline.  Ya 5 slices of pizza is amazing, but i am content with 1 or 2 nowadays.  

Also, just increasing your overall knowledge about what's in the food you eat goes a long way. Like if you know that slice is 300 calories, you can make an informed decision about whether or not it will fit in with your daily calorie goals.

• Agree 2

Events Helper · Posted
16 minutes ago, G-type said:

Also, just increasing your overall knowledge about what's in the food you eat goes a long way. Like if you know that slice is 300 calories, you can make an informed decision about whether or not it will fit in with your daily calorie goals.

100%  

• 3 weeks later...

I've been trying to ease into a weight loss routine. Some of the guys at work are trying to lose weight, so the time just felt right to start making the small changes in my routine.

Been trying to cutdown on the amount of beer I drink, and the number of days I drink. Similarly I've been trying to head to bed earlier. For dinner I generally have some configuration of the meal in the picture, it's rice with tofu, tomatoes, then some fermented black beans and cheese for flavor, topped with some hot sauce. Tonight I decided to throw in some broccoli too.

Simple and fast to make, tastes pretty good, little cleanup.

IMG20230810173846.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Update for 2024, nothing really changed much in 2023 I bottomed my weight out at 228, then put on some weight as I trained for a half marathon.

Half Marathon was completed on Oct 1, 2023 in 3:27:12, not the fastest time ever, but hey I finished it.

2024 is going to see my work on a 20 mile hike called the Mammoth March in May, and then in October or December I plan on completing a full marathon...

Anyone else big into running?

• Like 5

I started eating just meat back in October.  I started it due to skin issues I've had off-and-on for decades.  Turns out, it's been exceptional for my back and joints and unexpectedly I've lost nearly 20lbs, from about 175 to 155.

I do eat seasonings and I took Thanksgiving off and I got I enjoyed myself a little bit on Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Going 100% carnivore is interesting and it's unbelievable the amount of bacon I eat.  I've even had a couple of check ups and my blood pressures good, as is my cholesterol.  This diet isn't for everyone but I'm quite surprised with the results I've seen.  I've stopped working out, other than walking the dog, and I still shed a pound or two a week.

1 hour ago, RH said:

I started eating just meat back in October.  I started it due to skin issues I've had off-and-on for decades.  Turns out, it's been exceptional for my back and joints and unexpectedly I've lost nearly 20lbs, from about 175 to 155.

I do eat seasonings and I took Thanksgiving off and I got I enjoyed myself a little bit on Christmas Eve and Christmas.  Going 100% carnivore is interesting and it's unbelievable the amount of bacon I eat.  I've even had a couple of check ups and my blood pressures good, as is my cholesterol.  This diet isn't for everyone but I'm quite surprised with the results I've seen.  I've stopped working out, other than walking the dog, and I still shed a pound or two a week.

Amazing stuff! I went carnivore in July plus intermittent fasting. I do 8 eggs at 10 AM, a ribeye at 5 PM and just water, black coffee and natural Redmonds salt. I’ve lost 36 pounds, no longer have mood swings or joint pain. The results have been amazing. I don’t plan on stopping. 

There is a marathon here in May and I might try to do the half. My main motivation right now is kicking the liquor. My drinking increased significantly during the pandemic and, although moderated a bit, I am still drinking way more than I should from this past summer through the holidays. Between the money and health aspect, it's definitely time to give it up or save it for the odd special occasion.

We'll see about the running though as I would also like to focus on building and maintaining my mass but just with a significantly lower fat %.

14 hours ago, WalterWhiteJr. said:

Amazing stuff! I went carnivore in July plus intermittent fasting. I do 8 eggs at 10 AM, a ribeye at 5 PM and just water, black coffee and natural Redmonds salt. I’ve lost 36 pounds, no longer have mood swings or joint pain. The results have been amazing. I don’t plan on stopping. 

Oh man, you went hard core (and congrats on that!)  I need a bit more than salt for seasoning and, yes, coffee is a must for me.  I'd have to be really bad off to give that one up.  I also allow myself to drink one Diet Mountain Dew 1-2 times a week.  That's my sweet treat.  Fortunately it hasn't seemed to affect the results, so I'm ok with keeping it.

I think the joint health has been the biggest surprise to me.  I was in a severe car wreck when I was 16.  I had bone removed and grafted into my spine, along with a few metal pins.  Aches and pains have been a part of life for over a decade and since going carnivore, almost 100% of those pains are gone and I don't even need to go to a chiropractor any more.

Edited by RH
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Events Helper · Posted
17 hours ago, Paul said:

Update for 2024, nothing really changed much in 2023 I bottomed my weight out at 228, then put on some weight as I trained for a half marathon.

Half Marathon was completed on Oct 1, 2023 in 3:27:12, not the fastest time ever, but hey I finished it.

2024 is going to see my work on a 20 mile hike called the Mammoth March in May, and then in October or December I plan on completing a full marathon...

I found biking to be enjoyable, running isn't for me.  also, congrats on the weight loss, I lost 75-80 lbs between Feb and now of 2023.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jeevan said:

I found biking to be enjoyable, running isn't for me.  also, congrats on the weight loss, I lost 75-80 lbs between Feb and now of 2023.

I'm the same way.

In my younger days I ran distance in highschool as my best friend was doing it, and I just wanted to socialize and meet girls. College came and I kept running casually, but it wasn't as fun as I was mainly doing it for social reasons.

When I moved to Taiwan I made a few friends who used to run, and I then did a few half marathons, but after the last one I just felt so sore and my knees felt like crap, and since I didn't enjoy the training either, I decided to close the running chapter of my life, before it got even more unenjoyable.

A few years later I discovered cycling, which I truly do enjoy. I've just been spotty with cycling for the last year as I lost my cycling partner (got married, had a kid, went home). When you start doing 80k+ rides up in the mountains at 10pm, I don't fancy going alone, lol.

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 7:50 AM, Paul said:

I work in the health field and my general advice is don’t focus so much on the weight, but more your general fitness and the blood pressure, blood sugar and cholesterol. Aim for those key parameters to be within normal range and that would be reassuring to me. 
I’ve seen people on the skinny side or at the lower limits of the normal BMI range,  but can still have diabetes or high cholesterol, which is more a health risk than looking good on the outside. 

Myself, I’ve always played sports as a hobby and have maintained a normal BMI for most of my life. Lately though, I’ve been a sports junkie, and training or playing tennis most days a week. I’ve also cut back on my work hours to purely focus on my health and trying to enjoy life more. I plan to start going to gym or might try a marathon this year. Seeing threads like this inspires me more to…run more!

• 3 months later...
On 7/20/2023 at 4:07 AM, Gloves said:

I almost wonder if it might help to have a little VGS weight loss group or something. Maybe a club or just a thread where we're incentivized somehow to post weekly or even daily about our progress, whether we did the thing we set out to do, stuff like that. 

I'm back to dieting and clean living for awhile. Did this weight loss club thingie ever happen, and if not, you guys wanna start something?

• 2 weeks later...
Editorials Team · Posted

Just kind of throwing this out there, but my work provides monthly appointments where you get scans and blood work that show your body fat percentage, lean muscle mass percentage, visceral fat, edema, grip strength, body/limb composition breakdowns, vitamin and cholesterol levels, etc.  And it's all tracked so you can see how you're trending on every front.

It is extremely useful stuff, and far better than just looking at a scale.  If you can find local facilities that provide this type of service, I heavily recommend you give them a shot.

And to be clear, this isn't the lower end stuff you might see in a gym.