IGNORED

Where Are The Game Stores In Los Angeles?

Nearest to you will be World 8 on Vermont Ave and World 8-2 in the Little Tokyo Mall on 2nd. Retro Game Camp was also in the mall, but they went online/Amazon only.

Game Dude and Game Tower in the Valley, though you're looking at a hefty taxi fee from DTLA. Game Dude is in North Hollywood on Sherman Way next to the 170 freeway. Game Tower is at the corner of Nordhoff and Corbin in Northridge.

• Like 1

Yeah, I used to frequent it. For awhile it was the only real retro game store in the Valley. Selection was okay last time I was there, but that was sometime back. Definitely not worth a cab or Uber from downtown.

Though from the Westin you could walk a few blocks south to 7th/Metro Station, take the red line to the end of the line in NoHo, then Uber to Game Dude for cheap.

But I think more interesting stuff would be closer, especially in Little Tokyo.

I want to point out that @tulpa has officially made me wish I did not live in Ventura County. The best we have here is a small video game shop that is run by a guy who kind of looks and sounds like Seth Rollins. 😅

But even then, I also vouch on the fact that World 8-2 is a fun store to visit. Especially if you are looking for Japanese released games. 🙂

• Like 1

I have been to many video games stores in Southern California over the past few months. All I have to say is good luck if you are hunting for retro games. I walked into places like for example Game Dude and they sold a lot of inventory. The selection outright sucks at most of the retro gaming places in Southern California. If stuff is available you will find most of the games are overpriced. 

Yeah, Game Dude hasn't had much gems in a long time. I asked them when the last time they had something like Gun Nac in and they said sometime prior to 2012, and even then once in a blue moon. Occasionally they'd have something like Galaxy 5000 or Qix, not super rare, but uncommon, but even those dried up the last half-dozen years or so.

Story time. I did take your recommendation and visited World 8.

I had about 2 hours before they close so I decided to head over there around 6pm from the Westin Bonaventure hotel, it's an hour walk but that's nothing, I could walk all day. On my way down to the lobby I got into the elevator with another woman and for no reason at all she decides to tell me she won't walk anywhere because apparently we're in a bad neighbourhood. Weird, I never said anything about my trip to her, so I decide to check with the concierge prior to heading out, it's now 6pm.

I ask the concierge in the hotel if they think I can walk to Vermont Avenue and he says, "No way! No, you can't do that, it's too far!" I try to tell him I'm only concerned about the safety and again he tells me, "No, too far!" Again, I explain it but I don't speak Spanish and finally he tells me it's a bad area so I shouldn't walk there. Being from Canada this stuff is new to me, I would walk anywhere at any time of night and not worry about it.

So the concierge tells me I should take the bus and I ask him how because I've never taken a bus before. I'm 40 years old and own 3 cars, I don't take buses but he explained where the bus stop is and that it's only $1.75.........okay, fine, I'll try it. I walk a block to what appears to be a bus stop and the bus pulls up.......except the door opens and I step on at the back. Where do I pay? So I have to walk through the bus up to the front and I ask the driver if he's going to Vermont Avenue. He says he is so I put in two $1 bills and wait for my change. After a few seconds I realized I wasn't getting change so I stepped aside and waited for the driver to tell me when to get off.

So this bus starts going and this was like the scariest amusement ride of my life, this guy was just all over the place and he would just honk and change lanes, like car or no car in his way. Eventually we get onto a main road that connects to another main road (I'm following GPS on my phone) which I assume we'll take to my destination. We take the one main road all the way north (the store is south) and we're now farther away from the game store than I was at the hotel and at one point I saw a sign which read, "For Sale: Used Brake Pads." Dude.....I don't know if this is a thing in LA but I have never in my life heard of selling, nor purchasing, used brake pads. I mean.....at which point do they become no longer usable? I literally have to change all 4 brake pads AND rotors on my car every year and I'm witnessing a sign that is selling second hand life saving devices with a sign that's spray painted onto a fence. I have entered an unfamiliar planet.

The driver stops and while I'm staring at my phone trying to figure this out, the driver yells, "Vermont Avenue!" I look around and look at my phone like, "What? Da fack? I don't want to get out here, we're 2 blocks from the used brake pads!" As I'm looking at my phone, I realize I am technically at Vermont Avenue so the concierge wasn't wrong but I'm at the 3600 block and need to be at 1057 so I'm about 15 blocks north of where I want to be. So I'm standing in the entryway at the back of the bus and just as I'm about to take my step out into the unknown depths of mystery, a guy walks by right in front of me with no shirt on, holding a half empty bottle of Boathouse carrot juice. I know this because I drink fresh blended fruit smoothies for breakfast every day and I recognize the bottle and the only thing I can think of is, "That's a $13 bottle of juice that guy's just drinking out of the bottle!"

As I step off the bus and try to decide if I'm just going to call a taxi, I check my phone and decide I can probably just walk it. It's 6pm, the sun is still up, maybe it's fine. I start going and this journey goes from questionable to very questionable when I passed by what appeared to be an entire house worth of furniture stored on the sidewalk and I couldn't tell if someone was just moving or it was an entire block worth of accumulated trash. I eventually saw a sign for Koreatown, walked a while through that and at nearly 7pm I finally made it to World 8.

The guys working there seemed amazing, I looked around and while they didn't have much selection for NES and Atari, they do have a no REV-A Top Gun which is priced the same as a REV-A copy, someone should snag that before they realize it. I think it was $40 but I already have one. I told them I'm from Canada and was told about their store from online forums which seemed to surprise them. One guy was wearing a Cinemassacre shirt which I thought was great.

So now it's time for me to leave and it's getting dark, I'm definitely not walking back and there's no way I'm taking the bus again. I ask the guy at the counter if he knows how I can call a cab because again........I've only ever called a taxi once in my life. He told me he didn't know because everyone here just uses Uber. Okay........how do I do that? He was super helpful, he told me how to download it, register and then request a ride. The Uber guy came in 2 minutes, picked me up exactly where the store guy told me he would and then I made it back to the hotel. The Uber driver had a B.O. problem but my window worked so it wasn't so bad, I gave him 5 stars anyway.

That's my adventure through Los Angeles in search of a game store on a Monday evening.

Edited by Code Monkey
  • Haha 5

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

I had about 2 hours before they close so I decided to head over there around 6pm from the Westin Bonaventure hotel, it's an hour walk but that's nothing, I could walk all day. On my way down to the lobby I got into the elevator with another woman and for no reason at all she decides to tell me she won't walk anywhere because apparently we're in a bad neighbourhood. Weird, I never said anything about my trip to her, so I decide to check with the concierge prior to heading out, it's now 6pm.

I ask the concierge in the hotel if they think I can walk to Vermont Avenue and he says, "No way! No, you can't do that, it's too far!" I try to tell him I'm only concerned about the safety and again he tells me, "No, too far!" Again, I explain it but I don't speak Spanish and finally he tells me it's a bad area so I shouldn't walk there. Being from Canada this stuff is new to me, I would walk anywhere at any time of night and not worry about it.

So the concierge tells me I should take the bus and I ask him how because I've never taken a bus before. I'm 40 years old and own 3 cars, I don't take buses but he explained where the bus stop is and that it's only $1.75.........okay, fine, I'll try it. I walk a block to what appears to be a bus stop and the bus pulls up.......except the door opens and I step on at the back. Where do I pay? So I have to walk through the bus up to the front and I ask the driver if he's going to Vermont Avenue. He says he is so I put in two $1 bills and wait for my change. After a few seconds I realized I wasn't getting change so I stepped aside and waited for the driver to tell me when to get off.

So this bus starts going and this was like the scariest amusement ride of my life, this guy was just all over the place and he would just honk and change lanes, like car or no car in his way. Eventually we get onto a main road that connects to another main road (I'm following GPS on my phone) which I assume we'll take to my destination. We take the one main road all the way north (the store is south) and we're now farther away from the game store than I was at the hotel and at one point I saw a sign which read, "For Sale: Used Brake Pads." Dude.....I don't know if this is a thing in LA but I have never in my life heard of selling, nor purchasing, used brake pads. I mean.....at which point do they become no longer usable? I literally have to change all 4 brake pads AND rotors on my car every year and I'm witnessing a sign that is selling second hand life saving devices with a sign that's spray painted onto a fence. I have entered an unfamiliar planet.

The driver stops and while I'm staring at my phone trying to figure this out, the driver yells, "Vermont Avenue!" I look around and look at my phone like, "What? Da fack? I don't want to get out here, we're 2 blocks from the used brake pads!" As I'm looking at my phone, I realize I am technically at Vermont Avenue so the concierge wasn't wrong but I'm at the 3600 block and need to be at 1057 so I'm about 15 blocks north of where I want to be. So I'm standing in the entryway at the back of the bus and just as I'm about to take my step out into the unknown depths of mystery, a guy walks by right in front of me with no shirt on, holding a half empty bottle of Boathouse carrot juice. I know this because I drink fresh blended fruit smoothies for breakfast every day and I recognize the bottle and the only thing I can think of is, "That's a $13 bottle of juice that guy's just drinking out of the bottle!"

As I step off the bus and try to decide if I'm just going to call a taxi, I check my phone and decide I can probably just walk it. It's 6pm, the sun is still up, maybe it's fine. I start going and this journey goes from questionable to very questionable when I passed by what appeared to be an entire house worth of furniture stored on the sidewalk and I couldn't tell if someone was just moving or it was an entire block worth of accumulated trash. I eventually saw a sign for Koreatown, walked a while through that and at nearly 7pm I finally made it to World 8.

The guys working there seemed amazing, I looked around and while they didn't have much selection for NES and Atari, they do have a no REV-A Top Gun which is priced the same as a REV-A copy, someone should snag that before they realize it. I think it was $40 but I already have one. I told them I'm from Canada and was told about their store from online forums which seemed to surprise them. One guy was wearing a Cinemassacre shirt which I thought was great.

So now it's time for me to leave and it's getting dark, I'm definitely not walking back and there's no way I'm taking the bus again. I ask the guy at the counter if he knows how I can call a cab because again........I've only ever called a taxi once in my life. He told me he didn't know because everyone here just uses Uber. Okay........how do I do that? He was super helpful, he told me how to download it, register and then request a ride. The Uber guy came in 2 minutes, picked me up exactly where the store guy told me he would and then I made it back to the hotel. The Uber driver had a B.O. problem but my window worked so it wasn't so bad, I gave him 5 stars anyway.

That's my adventure through Los Angeles in search of a game store on a Monday evening.

I love your stories lol. 

37 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

What a wild story. It’s like I was reading something out of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas lmao. Geez what a scary place.

And used brake pads wtf? Haha. Never seen that before. They’re like $80 brand new for a pair, why buy used brake pads? Haha.

You call it scary, I call it a typical Monday night. 😛

And yes, questionable used car parts are common in some areas. The thing about LA is that it isn't a monolithic, homogeneous city, but a huge collection of varied communities. Each with their own quirks. Koreatown is one of the more colorful ones. 🙂

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Code Monkey said:

"There are 8 million stories in the Naked City - this has been one of them."

• Haha 1

Well haven't been back there in a decade more or less and nothing changes, LA sucks, and if you were warned there's good cause.

I know this was about game stores, retro, but...screw them the supply isn't great and the prices largely less so where you'd do better not bothering.  Yet I'm questioning something, why has no one at all brought up BOOK OFF??

Book off is a Japanese store with domestic locations, CA has the most, and concentration wise the LA county area has the most.  Hideous traffic aside, a few would be within miles of each other and seemingly not that big of a time suck.  The stores are Japanese based and as such have a lot of Japanese anime, manga, toys, appliances, music, video, etc... but that means also games, consoles, accessories, handhelds, games.  I would hit a couple of them up in town there when I'd be up in that place now and again, but largely I'd be notably closer to the one that is in this little Japanese corner in the San Diego area which had one.  Hit and miss more as time came closer to present (after leaving but returning for visits.)  I've had excellent luck getting domestic and japanese games, etc from the locations (manga too.)  If you're still in the area, try it because you should have relatively easy access to 2-3 of the locations which typically are put within or attached to malls.

• Agree 1

Last night for supper we went to LA Cafe, I really recommend this place, they have great burritos and great doughnuts which sounds weird but you should try it. It's only a block from Skid Row but we didn't find that out until I randomly searched it today.

Myself and 2 work colleagues are sat out front of the store because there are no (literally none existing) chairs inside and there are lots of questionable locals walking by. Here are 3 stories that took place while we were waiting 10 minutes for our food.

The very first guy was Mack D. He came by and asked where we were from, when he found out we're from Canada, he told us we got nothing to worry about and if we run into any trouble we just tell that person we know Mack D. If we say we're with Mack D, we'll be alright. He tells us we need to Google his video he did with Mariah Carey which he proceeded to tell us all about. Then when he was leaving, he told us to look up his video with Paris Hilton......he said, if you Google Paris Hilton video......and then my colleague cut him off and said, "Ya, I think I've seen that one." 

Then a Skip The Dishes guy pulls up on his scooter, hops off and takes a seat on the chairs outside. He's completely engrossed in his phone, whatever he's scrolling through until some random local comes up and takes the handlebar of the scooter like he's going to ride away on it. This Skip The Dishes guy's Spidey Sense must have ignited because he nearly jumped out of his chair and said, "Hey, yo, that's mine, bro!" I thought there was going to be a tussle.

While all this was happening, a few people went into the shop and were in there during all of this. About a minute after the Skip The Dishes feud, one of the customers inside the shop opens up the door and just whips a handful of change into the seating area outside. Coins are pinging off our seats and the street, then she shuts the door and goes back inside. No explanation, nothing.

And the food was great.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
5 minutes ago, Code Monkey said:

While all this was happening, a few people went into the shop and were in there during all of this. About a minute after the Skip The Dishes feud, one of the customers inside the shop opens up the door and just whips a handful of change into the seating area outside. Coins are pinging off our seats and the street, then she shuts the door and goes back inside. No explanation, nothing.

In the city I where I grew up the downtown area has a Coffee Time that the locals affectionately labeled as "Crack Time". It was provably true that if you went in and chucked some change on the floor multiple people would dive for it. 

1 minute ago, Gloves said:

In the city I where I grew up the downtown area has a Coffee Time that the locals affectionately labeled as "Crack Time". It was provably true that if you went in and chucked some change on the floor multiple people would dive for it. 

We have Crack Mac's downtown Calgary on 7th and 7th. Someone I knew worked across the street from it and one of his co-workers donated an old bicycle to a company bet where they all put in money to try and guess how long it would take for the bike to get stolen if they left it against a pole on the corner. It took 30 seconds before someone rode away on it.

• Haha 1

• 3 months later...