IGNORED

Excitebike What do I have here?

Toyhunter1

I am by no means an expert on these early-release NES games (so others feel free to chime in) but I do not believe the sticker sealed games were shrink wrapped. If I'm right, my guess is that someone either had a sealed copy and thought it should have the wrapping, or they knew it was opened and still didn't know the wrapping should have existed, so the pressed the sticker back down and added the shrink wrap.  The other alternative might be that before there were protective cases, someone might have wanted to protect this with what they had so they did it themselves.

I know I've bought games from Japan specifically where the seller openly admitted shrinkwrapping games, and said the were not sold that way.  It was his easy, cheap way of protecting the goods he sold, so I guess it's not out of the realm of possibility that someone did that for their own collection.

Suffice to say, I don't think that wrap is legit, but I could be wrong.  Regardless, that's a nice game.  Congrats (unless you paid $50k for it.)

• Agree 1

@RH I told him the same online elsewhere.  This is an original black box release 1985 or 86 when they didn't shrink, the hang tab was part of the box, and they used a circle matte sticker as seen here.  This thing is cherry, the only question I'd have is the age of the shrink, but I'd lean towards it being period too.  Some retailer wanted to seal it, then rip the box up to hang it or get it banged around either so it's nice for the customer.  That thing is in amazing shape saved by ravages of time in that home baked cellophane store wrap.

He didn't pay $50k he paid $20 and it was in a box of other picked up old games and a system if i remember the post entirely on facebook.  I directed him here to get some more on the nose types to critique it harder than I can, and so he can get a fair assessment of it.  I think he may want to trade/sell it, but doesn't want to rip someone off or get ripped off by some clown who will give him a pittance and then WATA troll the thing either.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

@RH I told him the same online elsewhere.  This is an original black box release 1985 or 86 when they didn't shrink, the hang tab was part of the box, and they used a circle matte sticker as seen here.  This thing is cherry, the only question I'd have is the age of the shrink, but I'd lean towards it being period too.  Some retailer wanted to seal it, then rip the box up to hang it or get it banged around either so it's nice for the customer.  That thing is in amazing shape saved by ravages of time in that home baked cellophane store wrap.

He didn't pay $50k he paid $20 and it was in a box of other picked up old games and a system if i remember the post entirely on facebook.  I directed him here to get some more on the nose types to critique it harder than I can, and so he can get a fair assessment of it.  I think he may want to trade/sell it, but doesn't want to rip someone off or get ripped off by some clown who will give him a pittance and then WATA troll the thing either.

Your exactly correct . I’m getting beat down on everything even how I found it. People saying there no way it came from a yard sale. It’s a fake , it worth this and that , that I’m totally lost! So any help would be appreciated and thank you all!

• Sad 1

Weird. The cello even has vent holes on the front. Is it for sure matte sticker? It's hard to tell with the shine from the wrap. 

No reason it should be wrapped, and I can't think of a circumstance where it would be other then a retailer doing it. 

Do you have pics of the top and back? 

Might be able to tell of its been opened based on that top back hinge. 

Anyways, if someone was faking this they'd be foolish to seal it, because they didn't come that way and doesn't really change the value (again, unless there's some special release type I'm unaware of for this game specifically)

To be clear, I'm not calling it a fake by any stretch and I can believe you found it at a yard sale.  These things do still happen, so congrats.  The celo is a mystery though.  Personally, I'd do what you're doing.  I've been in this community for a about 6 years and if the general consensus from the names around here that I trust all said it was a rewrap (and that seems to be the case), I wouldn't care if why someone did it (wether it was 10 years ago or 35), I'd remove the wrap if i weren't original, but that's my opinion.

Also, welcome VGS!  If you're into game collecting, you should stay around.  We talk about collecting and playing.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

@RH Normally I'd agree, but in this case honestly I'd leave the wrap there.  It's 100% not by Nintendo, but look what it has done for the 36-37 year old game.  That retailer wrap on there has kept dust, scratches, scrapes, scuffs, rub marks and the rest off that shiny black box outer layer completely.  Until he or someone else figured out what to do with it exactly it should remain as a barrier.

And @Toyhunter1 yeah I knew it was coming, just put it out there so you don't get taken to the cleaners while getting pounded by entitled scum making stupid comments how it's fake, you're fake, you lied, etc.  Whatever... fine, screw the story, doesn't change the reality of the pictures still.  Get some real opinions, facts, similar sales history and go from there.

You will probably be in a situation where depending on the liability involved you'll want to sell to someone who will pay as much as they're comfortable with because they'll either leave it alone, or they'll pay up a bit more thinking they'll get a high grade from those charlatans at WATA increasing the value exponentially.  Or maybe you'll do that process, eat the bullet for the process, and get more out of it as I doubt you care to retain something like that if you're fishing for info already.

The liability thing is real and a concern to enough people, myself included.  I've got a sealed game that I grabbed for $100 like 4 years back now, and it's worth thousands too.  Between the wankers out there, then now the second hand sales tax abuse, I've been considering for months just slicing the damn thing open and doing something with it. 🙂

• Agree 2

Thank you sir for the kind words advice. I left a NES group earlier. There where some honest good people in the group but as you said the wankers straight up calling me a liar and fake looking for attention got old quick . I’m a toy collector not a game collector but I do enjoy playing games of my youth time to time. So I know nothing about the variants and letters and this and that. But again I thank you for your kindness!

• Like 3

@Toyhunter1 : Let me tell you a short story.

I'm from the States, but I've been living and working in Taiwan for over a decade. A few years ago I found a John Madden Sega Genesis game at a local shop here, sealed, and purchased it. Yeah, it sounds ridiculous almost unbelievable that I found an American version game sealed in a shop in Asia, I understand that. Despite receiving multiple (lowball) offers from people here, in the grading scene, I decided to hold onto the game.

A few months back a sealed graded copy of the game sold for just under half a million dollars USD.  While the copy I own isn't in as nice of condition as the one that had sold, I decided that I'd send to Heritage Auctions on consignment, and be happy with whatever I got. 

Just as I'm working out the details as to the best way of getting the game safely from Taiwan to the United States, a Video Game Sage forum member (who happened to collect John Madden games, and had also offered to buy it from me previously) came onto the forum with something along the following: "It's a reseal and valueless, I thought everyone knew that." Little to back up his claims, but suddenly with this one statement, and him also being a so-called "expert", Heritage Auctions refused to accept the game, despite the company that manufactured the game even having a manufacturing plant over here, how this game was shrinkwrapped and none of the other local games at the shop were (and Japanese games are not shrinkwrapped, etc). 

tldr; Evidence shows that the item is legit, but a forum member and so-called "expert" with a vested interest in the game being fake made a public statement that it was fake, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, and now the game is stuck in limbo.

That said my friend, the graded market for high-end games is an ocean full of sharks. Everyone is just out to protect their own investments and interests, rather than the truth of the matter, and they don't want folks like us entering into the market and upsetting things. It's really stressful, I'm in a similar boat with my John Madden game, stick by @Tanooki , @OptOut and people like that if you want advice and suggestions, without having someone screw you over for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. 

No matter what the reality is with this game, I really do wish you the best. 🙂

Edited by fcgamer
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Wow! 3

15 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

I'm from the States, but I've been living and working in Taiwan for over a decade. A few years ago I found a John Madden Sega Genesis game at a local shop here, sealed, and purchased it. Yeah, it sounds ridiculous almost unbelievable that I found an American version game sealed in a shop in Asia, I understand that. Despite receiving multiple (lowball) offers from people here, in the grading scene, I decided to hold onto the game.

A few months back a sealed graded copy of the game sold for just under half a million dollars USD.  While the copy I own isn't in as nice of condition as the one that had sold, I decided that I'd send to Heritage Auctions on consignment, and be happy with whatever I got. 

Just as I'm working out the details as to the best way of getting the game safely from Taiwan to the United States, a Video Game Sage forum member (who happened to collect John Madden games, and had also offered to buy it from me previously) came onto the forum with something along the following: "It's a reseal and valueless, I thought everyone knew that." Little to back up his claims, but suddenly with this one statement, and him also being a so-called "expert", Heritage Auctions refused to accept the game, despite the company that manufactured the game even having a manufacturing plant over here, how this game was shrinkwrapped and none of the other local games at the shop were (and Japanese games are not shrinkwrapped, etc). 

tldr; Evidence shows that the item is legit, but a forum member and so-called "expert" with a vested interest in the game being fake made a public statement that it was fake, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, and now the game is stuck in limbo.

That said my friend, the graded market for high-end games is an ocean full of sharks. Everyone is just out to protect their own investments and interests, rather than the truth of the matter, and they don't want folks like us entering into the market and upsetting things. It's really stressful, I'm in a similar boat with my John Madden game, stick by @Tanooki , @OptOut and people like that if you want advice and suggestions, without having someone screw you over for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. 

Considering this is a sticker seal (and I recall that ordeal), for this game I’d be all the more inclined to go comm-silent for a year, remove the shrink wrap and then submit this to Heritage or just throw it up on eBay as a matte, sealed Excitebike.

I don’t see a context where this is a legit Nintendo seal, so no value is lost removing it. I’m fact, you could argue it adds value because once the wrap is gone, it removes suspicions.

Obviously, this is not the case for all sealed titles since many games in the past 30 years have been factory shrink wrapped, but since sticker seals were not, I wouldn’t risk the drama any further, but that’s my two cents.

OP, don’t let the potential best ruin what you can get that’s “good enough”. An unwrapped, matte sticker sealed Excitebike is still going to fetch a pretty penny far above what you paid.  If you’re not a serious collector, unwrap it and sell it. Again, it’s still sealed if the sticker is intact, so no harm no foul.

Others feel free to chime in with my assessment, but if these weren’t originally shrink wrapped by Nintendo, why leave it on and leave it for people to make stupid claims?

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Tanooki said:

@RH Normally I'd agree, but in this case honestly I'd leave the wrap there.  It's 100% not by Nintendo, but look what it has done for the 36-37 year old game.  That retailer wrap on there has kept dust, scratches, scrapes, scuffs, rub marks and the rest off that shiny black box outer layer completely.  Until he or someone else figured out what to do with it exactly it should remain as a barrier.

And @Toyhunter1 yeah I knew it was coming, just put it out there so you don't get taken to the cleaners while getting pounded by entitled scum making stupid comments how it's fake, you're fake, you lied, etc.  Whatever... fine, screw the story, doesn't change the reality of the pictures still.  Get some real opinions, facts, similar sales history and go from there.

You will probably be in a situation where depending on the liability involved you'll want to sell to someone who will pay as much as they're comfortable with because they'll either leave it alone, or they'll pay up a bit more thinking they'll get a high grade from those charlatans at WATA increasing the value exponentially.  Or maybe you'll do that process, eat the bullet for the process, and get more out of it as I doubt you care to retain something like that if you're fishing for info already.

The liability thing is real and a concern to enough people, myself included.  I've got a sealed game that I grabbed for $100 like 4 years back now, and it's worth thousands too.  Between the wankers out there, then now the second hand sales tax abuse, I've been considering for months just slicing the damn thing open and doing something with it. 🙂

Not sure how I missed that first bit. Addendum to my last statement. If you take my advice, for protection sake, there’s nothing wrong leaving it shrink wrapped. But, I’d remove it before photographing and selling. Again, this is avoiding drama and whatnot, especially as a non-expert. As @Tanooki said, it’s not factory-legit and with sealed games, that’s what matters.

6 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Thanks for that comparative story and warning there from @fcgamer as he's right, and he got screwed by some punk ass selfish sorts spooking even the dodgy sharks at that grading company of all things, because they only know known knowns, not known unknowns.  Yeah that's hard to read, but makes sense.  He has no stake other than maybe some gain on that Madden for sure, just as I would on my piddly Pokemon Red Version game, but both of us largely don't give a damn in sealed nor have a vested greater interest in shitting the bed for those who really want to drive those values for their own gains.  People like us, you, we're bad, we can pop another number out there that'll screw with someones personal sense of value so they'll get nasty, cheap, sneaky, defensive, passive aggressive...whatever.

@RH I think may be onto it.  You have some nice shots of your game, but because of the goofy wrap around the real seal maybe it distorted things enough.  Maybe you nuke your images you posted about and hope no depraved selfish turd saved them, just burn it down.  Wait maybe minimally fall/winter of his year, and then remove that shrink off, one time take some really clean personal super high quality shots, and then slide it carefully into one of those protective clear cases you can buy for games sealed (or complete) you buy online.  From there, then submit that thing for grading if that's your choice, or not, and sell it as it stands.  Let the market drive the value.  Either way is a gamble, you can play it for a wata full value and see where it lands after they grade then auctioning it off...or you sell it non-graded and let someone else have the long wait and fear of it having another decimal point higher (9.4 to a 9.5) which will add another maybe 1k or 25k to it.  That'll be their hell to live through and you're free of it.

Thank you all for all the info and kindness. For two days I have been bombarded by requests and offers and everybody wants to finish the deal now that I quit answering and went radio silent until I process all this and figure out what I’m going to do. You alls info is very important to me a makes since so I thank y’all again for that!

• Like 1

@Toyhunter1 Stick around, enough people here play little anymore anyway to those who do daily I'm sure this place would be a nice fit outside of toxic trolling social media.  You should go silent on anyone poking a vested interest stick at it.  You likely won't get a fair answer, or at least one that won't make you suspicious given everything and the high pressure of everyone wanting to be the one.

Maybe since you found that NES and game stack, start a journey like an 80s kid and see how it works, then write something about that.

• Agree 2

Hah it's still funny though, and while not exactly contributing, it's not wrong either.  Read what he said people were doing already about his game, as if none of those ass clowns weren't wanting to find a sucker to get something cheap to grade then profit off of.  About as easy as a toddlers box of crayons and a connect the dots book to figure out what was going on there with that mess.