IGNORED

Excitebike What do I have here?

Toyhunter1

3 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Hah it's still funny though, and while not exactly contributing, it's not wrong either.  Read what he said people were doing already about his game, as if none of those ass clowns weren't wanting to find a sucker to get something cheap to grade then profit off of.  About as easy as a toddlers box of crayons and a connect the dots book to figure out what was going on there with that mess.

Oh don’t get me wrong, of course it’s shady to be praying on someone’s ignorance to get a game while knowing true value, pushing for a sale so it can be graded and absorbed into the market and flaunted like a prize.

In my view, the issue taken is about free market capitalism, which applies to everything in society, not just games, because capital is king. I guess I’m just cynical at this point because collectors like to blame grading but that’s the symptom, not the cause. It’s a waste of key strokes at this point. Lol

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, inasuma said:

Oh don’t get me wrong, of course it’s shady to be praying on someone’s ignorance to get a game while knowing true value, pushing for a sale so it can be graded and absorbed into the market and flaunted like a prize.

People are even telling him it's a fake, just to try to score a good deal themselves, or to ruin his item's legitimacy. That's just shitty, and is something that is all too common in the grading communities.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fcgamer said:

People are even telling him it's a fake, just to try to score a good deal themselves, or to ruin his item's legitimacy. That's just shitty, and is something that is all too common in the grading communities.

Yeah that's largely a bit of my issue which I keep pressing the comments on what to do, not to do, and who or what to avoid at this rate.  I saw the start of the bone picking dickery on facebook.  That's why I wrote him and directed him specifically to sign up here letting him know people here are not predatory assholes to get a fair opinion and valuation of options what to do with the game.  The scum came out of the woodwork fast, a mix of lying, manipulation, arguing he didn't find it or for what price, you name it.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, fcgamer said:

that's some next level fuckery right there. put that on the list, next to backdooring, as a one-way ticket to banlist. lol

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/10/2022 at 9:56 AM, Toyhunter1 said:

I’m getting beat down on everything even how I found it.

That's because it is the only real talent social media morons have. 😩

In all cases that is a third-party wrap as a means to preserve the original condition. And, if the seal is cut, it is also there to keep others from tampering with the contents. If that did not happen before the wrap was added.

Plus I am not going to comment on the Madden game. The other side of that story is a bit different. 😅

• Wow! 1

Need a full picture of the back of the box.  There are plenty of "3rd print" boxes that have the Gloss Sticker (this isnt a matte), shrink wrap, and 1 code on the back bottom right of the box (NES-GP).   The absolute dumbest advice here is to remove the shrink wrap, high odds that it is from Nintendo and authentic.  This was likely released in the transition from sticker seal no codes to 1 code shrink wrap, and like I said, there are plenty of examples of gumshoe, Mario Bros arcade, and donkey kong math, etc being released in this manner.  

Is a gem , worth a lot of money, good luck with the sale 

• Like 5

On 3/12/2022 at 11:54 PM, FenrirZero said:

Plus I am not going to comment on the Madden game. The other side of that story is a bit different

Why not? I want to hear it. No need for everyone to be secretive about this if they all believe in their claims. Can't we all act like adults and have a discussion?

@fcgamer is there a thread where I can catch up on this story or a better place than this thread to tell it? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 3/11/2022 at 9:38 AM, fcgamer said:

@Toyhunter1 : Let me tell you a short story.

I'm from the States, but I've been living and working in Taiwan for over a decade. A few years ago I found a John Madden Sega Genesis game at a local shop here, sealed, and purchased it. Yeah, it sounds ridiculous almost unbelievable that I found an American version game sealed in a shop in Asia, I understand that. Despite receiving multiple (lowball) offers from people here, in the grading scene, I decided to hold onto the game.

A few months back a sealed graded copy of the game sold for just under half a million dollars USD.  While the copy I own isn't in as nice of condition as the one that had sold, I decided that I'd send to Heritage Auctions on consignment, and be happy with whatever I got. 

Just as I'm working out the details as to the best way of getting the game safely from Taiwan to the United States, a Video Game Sage forum member (who happened to collect John Madden games, and had also offered to buy it from me previously) came onto the forum with something along the following: "It's a reseal and valueless, I thought everyone knew that." Little to back up his claims, but suddenly with this one statement, and him also being a so-called "expert", Heritage Auctions refused to accept the game, despite the company that manufactured the game even having a manufacturing plant over here, how this game was shrinkwrapped and none of the other local games at the shop were (and Japanese games are not shrinkwrapped, etc). 

tldr; Evidence shows that the item is legit, but a forum member and so-called "expert" with a vested interest in the game being fake made a public statement that it was fake, despite mounting evidence to the contrary, and now the game is stuck in limbo.

That said my friend, the graded market for high-end games is an ocean full of sharks. Everyone is just out to protect their own investments and interests, rather than the truth of the matter, and they don't want folks like us entering into the market and upsetting things. It's really stressful, I'm in a similar boat with my John Madden game, stick by @Tanooki , @OptOut and people like that if you want advice and suggestions, without having someone screw you over for tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands. 

No matter what the reality is with this game, I really do wish you the best. 🙂

Can you just stop? You could have avoided writing all this and simply given the OP a warning about doing their research, as they are currently doing.

2 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Why not? I want to hear it. No need for everyone to be secretive about this if they all believe in their claims. Can't we all act like adults and have a discussion?

@fcgamer is there a thread where I can catch up on this story or a better place than this thread to tell it? 

Yeah, all the information that is know (aside from the emails from HA to me, and the DMs inquiring to buy the game) is public on the John Madden thread I started in this forum.

In hindsight, I'll admit that my attitude wasn't the best in that thread, but I think anyone would feel the same way if someone just popped into the thread with unsubstantiated claims, then left again, making a potentially $$$$$+ item virtually valueless.

No creases / color change on flaps + old shrink-wrap + all the other games in the shop not being sealed + EA doing the manufacturing for their games here + adverts showing that they were also selling Madden and other games here = it's fake reseal, period end of sentence? Sorry, I just don't believe that. Whether it's half mil monies, well I'm not saying that either, but the expert definitely made a bad call, without even looking at the thing, whether intentional or not.

But as seen here with this game, definitely feels like the same type of underhanded shady shit being tossed around.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, CodysGameRoom said:

All I will say is that I don't want to delve into it because the referenced "expert" was dealing with additional non-VGS related issues that makes their hobby harder to deal with. With their case being tied to their role with a certain grading company that was under fire. And that those who did not know this "expert" as a culprit, and not as an innocent bystander who has no ties to said controversy. So having that being an issue does not help them when the only answer they can give in regards to this game is if they bought it, received it, and inspected it before making an accurate conclusion.

Which they chose to not do, with me understanding because I have lost money doing the complete opposite. Atop of the times I made the mistake of selling my imports to my local used VGS and not here. Or in Little Tokyo.

On 3/13/2022 at 5:09 PM, FooFghtrs33 said:

Need a full picture of the back of the box.  There are plenty of "3rd print" boxes that have the Gloss Sticker (this isnt a matte), shrink wrap, and 1 code on the back bottom right of the box (NES-GP).   The absolute dumbest advice here is to remove the shrink wrap, high odds that it is from Nintendo and authentic.  This was likely released in the transition from sticker seal no codes to 1 code shrink wrap, and like I said, there are plenty of examples of gumshoe, Mario Bros arcade, and donkey kong math, etc being released in this manner.  

I can maybe get behind this, but wouldn't it be H-seam if that were the case? Also, I agree, it appears gloss

Edit: I guess it could be, no back of box pics i just realized. Still, that vent hole is rather large.

Edited by 3rdStrongestMole

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/13/2022 at 6:09 PM, FooFghtrs33 said:

Beat me to it, I would not remove that wrap.  If someone wants to pay to remove the wrap that’s on them.

I don’t follow these much these days but I have heard of matte stickers having gloss stickers over them so I could definitely see gloss stickers like this possibly having been pulled back and sealed with a wrap like the earlier transition from matte to gloss.

It’s a shame but I can definitely see you getting tons of flak and haters because they’re just protecting their own little crew that are at the top of the grading pyramid. Grading CIB’s is one of the worst things to happen to game collecting but that’s my own two cents.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Bazinga

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to what was going on here when I first posted, even though I think I know what's going on here. Can I see a photo of the back of the box? Balloon Fight and Gumshoe both have anomalies where they have a gloss sticker, 1 code variant and none of the other games do. If this one has a code on the back, it might be the third instance of this happening.

EDIT - never mind, I got photos from Heritage Auctions' website, why didn't you mention Wata removed the shrink wrap when they graded it? That pretty much solves it, the wrap was added afterwards.

Also, how did you get it into an auction so quickly? I sent games in May and they haven't shown up yet.

Edited by Code Monkey

On 3/13/2022 at 12:20 AM, inasuma said:

next to backdooring

Yes, this applies to sellers with absolutely no integrity and screwed me out of numerous deals by deep pocket buyers. 

If I was OP, this game go straight to my collection. No media post, nothing. When it comes to rare specimens such as this, I'm like Taneleer Tivan from the movie Guardians of the Galaxy.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:48 AM, Code Monkey said:

Also, how did you get it into an auction so quickly? I sent games in May and they haven't shown up yet.

I'm thinking Heritage think his game is worth more than all of yours.

On 3/13/2022 at 12:54 AM, FenrirZero said:

Plus I am not going to comment on the Madden game.

I was reading your comment on the first page but couldn't figure out how Heritage knew to reject your game based off your conversation with the "expert" member here. Was he/she in cahoots with Heritage? 

• 3 months later...
On 7/15/2022 at 8:48 AM, Code Monkey said:

Bazinga

Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to what was going on here when I first posted, even though I think I know what's going on here. Can I see a photo of the back of the box? Balloon Fight and Gumshoe both have anomalies where they have a gloss sticker, 1 code variant and none of the other games do. If this one has a code on the back, it might be the third instance of this happening.

EDIT - never mind, I got photos from Heritage Auctions' website, why didn't you mention Wata removed the shrink wrap when they graded it? That pretty much solves it, the wrap was added afterwards.

Not correct, I have multiple other gloss sticker with NES GP code on the back.   

21 hours ago, Braveheart69 said:

Not correct, I have multiple other gloss sticker with NES GP code on the back.   

Right, I spoke with another collector after I made this post and apparently more (almost all) Black Box games from that era have been discovered with the gloss sticker and NES-GP. I'm guessing they all exist.

• 1 month later...