IGNORED

Packing the collection? (Movin'out)

Fryer64

This has probably been asked before and I apologize if that's the case. But basically going to be moving back on with a friend and I wasn't happy with how a few of my boxed games  didn't appreciate how I did it.

I don't have a ton, but some questions?

#1 Better in big boxes with no potential squishing?

#2 Small well packed boxes?

Anything helps lol. Trying not to mess anything up.

I’m in the midst of moving and cannot say enough good things about the HDX tough totes. They come in plenty of sizes although I find the 27 gallon to be perfect for me. Stack a layer of CIB, put a bunch of bubble wrap on top, stack another layer, more bubble wrap. The 27 gallon can do like 2/3 layers of CIB. If you want to be extra careful I would pack them in smaller totes with maybe 2 layers. I used a 17 gallon on my CD jewel case stuff ps1/Dreamcast and I think you could probably fit two layers of CIB in it. 

Also totes over boxes any day of the week if you’ve got valuables. I only packed ps2/3/xbox/360 and other random stuff I had in boxes. Everything else is totes. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-with-Yellow-Lid-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

I’m in the midst of moving and cannot say enough good things about the HDX tough totes. They come in plenty of sizes although I find the 27 gallon to be perfect for me. Stack a layer of CIB, put a bunch of bubble wrap on top, stack another layer, more bubble wrap. The 27 gallon can do like 2/3 layers of CIB. If you want to be extra careful I would pack them in smaller totes with maybe 2 layers. I used a 17 gallon on my CD jewel case stuff ps1/Dreamcast and I think you could probably fit two layers of CIB in it. 

Also totes over boxes any day of the week if you’ve got valuables. I only packed ps2/3/xbox/360 and other random stuff I had in boxes. Everything else is totes. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-27-Gal-Tough-Storage-Tote-in-Black-with-Yellow-Lid-HDX27GONLINE-5/205978361

I used these as well, though they get spendy quick.   Sams Club has some very similar ones for a few bucks cheaper.  They don't mix/match very well though (I bought some of both) as they have slightly different dimensions. 

• Like 1
  • Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, B.A. said:

I used these as well, though they get spendy quick.   Sams Club has some very similar ones for a few bucks cheaper.  They don't mix/match very well though (I bought some of both) as they have slightly different dimensions. 

They are quite pricey, I agree but for my games I’m willing to pay the price lol. I think Home Depot has them for $13 or so and I needed about 15 and some regular medium size cardboard boxes. For $200 I got a quality product that I don’t need to worry about. That and some bubble wrap is really all I needed. I mean 10’ UHaul and a storage unit as well but hey that’s the way game chasin go. 

When I moved in 2013, I bought all these green totes on a summer sale for $3 CAN each at Home Depot. 

- I made sure to put all the lesser valued items on the bottom and the higher value items on top. I also made sure I didn't fill them too much since I would be stacking them and didn't want anything getting crushed, so there was a buffer zone.

-I took good pictures of what I was putting in and numbered the totes themselves, I did this to make unpacking a lot easier. I knew where everything was by doing this. I did not unpack right away so it was very helpful.

This system work perfect. I have zero issues and zero damage to anything. 

273241933_673483350765717_7021563713071017935_n.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, B.A. said:

Costco sells 27 gallon black & yellow totes that are frequently on sale for ~$8. Very sturdy and stackable, I've used them to move my collection before carefree.