IGNORED

Pokemon generations I to III US box print/variant guide, with contents and population survey

AdamW

23 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Also, the market just doesn't like Blue much 😛 I've no idea why. Red and Yellow are selling like hotcakes lately, there've been some crazy sales of Yellow especially, well over $500. But Blue isn't doing the same, decent copies are still selling well under $300 sometimes. I guess nobody loves Blastoise. 😄

Red and Yellow have the best selling Pokemon characters of all time attached to them. For everyone one Blastoise collector, there are thousands of Charizard collectors. 

Administrator · Posted
31 minutes ago, AdamW said:

If it's sealed, you can probably send your next reply from your private island after a quick phone call to Heritage Auctions 🙂

Otherwise - I've only seen one person try to sell the "Red text" variant (BTW I'm now inclined to count it as a variant of the first print, rather than a separate print, because Nintendo didn't change the official print code on the box), described correctly, at a premium. I don't think it's sold yet. The copies that have been listed since I started this thread where the seller *doesn't* know what it is do seem like they might have attracted a bit more attention, but they aren't selling at much of a premium if any (hard to tell with the general variability of prices and other factors like condition and missing bits).

What I'm really curious to see happen - I'm sure it will some time, as WATA and HA definitely know about this - is for HA to sell a sealed copy and make a big hullabaloo about it. If they do that and it sells for crazy money, it might affect the non-sealed market a bit too. Still, I think it'll be like Left Bros. again - sealed Left Bros. is clearly a lot more valuable than equivalent condition sealed Right Bros., but cart-only or CIB Left Bros. isn't really *that* much more than equivalent Right Bros. The "red text" variant isn't vanishingly rare, as I'm updating my DB, its prevalance is staying right around 10% of copies, which is not like "one copy a year" kind of rarity, more like one a week or so. But sealed copies of it are likely very rare. I've still only seen evidence of two sealed copies of it existing so far.

Also, the market just doesn't like Blue much 😛 I've no idea why. Red and Yellow are selling like hotcakes lately, there've been some crazy sales of Yellow especially, well over $500. But Blue isn't doing the same, decent copies are still selling well under $300 sometimes. I guess nobody loves Blastoise. 😄

So... I'm NOT rich? I shouldn't have punched my boss?

... damn.

Re: Red & Yellow vs Blue - that's easy, Blastoise is stupid, Charizard and Pikachu are hella cool.

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, AdamW said:

Yeah, that's the obvious theory, but there are some odd counterpoints. FireRed and LeafGreen have also had some crazy sales lately, and there LeafGreen doesn't seem to go much if any less than FR. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah Venasaur is cool.

It's just Blastoise that sucks. 😉

• Haha 2

oh, yeah, the other reason it's odd with Gen 1 - it's a new thing. When I started tracking this stuff way back in the prehistoric times of...uh...January, Blue and Red were selling around C$250-C$300 for nice copies, Yellow was at like C$200. Red and Blue prices were similar, and Yellow was definitely cheaper.

Since then Red has gone up by $100+, Yellow has just gotten straight weird (multiple sales over US$500, but still a few copies being sold in the $200 range...), and Blue has...just kinda sat around at about the same price. I dunno. Maybe I should get out of this thread and start making NFTs of Gamestop stock certificates 😛

Administrator · Posted
3 minutes ago, AdamW said:

oh, yeah, the other reason it's odd with Gen 1 - it's a new thing. When I started tracking this stuff way back in the prehistoric times of...uh...January, Blue and Red were selling around C$250-C$300 for nice copies, Yellow was at like C$200. Red and Blue prices were similar, and Yellow was definitely cheaper.

Since then Red has gone up by $100+, Yellow has just gotten straight weird (multiple sales over US$500, but still a few copies being sold in the $200 range...), and Blue has...just kinda sat around at about the same price. I dunno. Maybe I should get out of this thread and start making NFTs of Gamestop stock certificates 😛

I mean I clearly need to get the heck out of here and start writing up my FS thread. This cardboard is selling for well over my usual "just sell the stupid thing" price range.

If you've got a Yellow with black ESRB logo in a double-ended box, I'll take it!

edit: from the pic it looks like you do. count me interested! And yeah, assuming those are all in nice shape, at eBay prices you've got, oh, I dunno, like US$2500 of pokemon cardboard there? Somewhere in that range. Not even counting "Red text" at any premium.

Edited by AdamW
  • Like 1

So I just did a very big rewrite of the first post to cut some of the chit-chat but add a lot more hard information. It now covers all the main series GB/GBC/GBA games, and has detailed box contents and population data for Gen 1 and FireRed / LeafGreen. I also added some detailed discussion of how I'm ordering/dating the prints, especially for Yellow. I tried to make the format as readable as possible, but do let me know what you think. Thanks folks 🙂

• The title was changed to Pokemon generations I to III US box print/variant guide, with contents and population survey
37 minutes ago, AdamW said:

So I just did a very big rewrite of the first post to cut some of the chit-chat but add a lot more hard information. It now covers all the main series GB/GBC/GBA games, and has detailed box contents and population data for Gen 1 and FireRed / LeafGreen. I also added some detailed discussion of how I'm ordering/dating the prints, especially for Yellow. I tried to make the format as readable as possible, but do let me know what you think. Thanks folks 🙂

Thanks dude, had no idea there were so many variants for FR/LG!

On 3/16/2021 at 4:37 PM, Gloves said:

. I love my boxes but Jesus are these prices tempting

I looked up crystal since it's the only one I need for the GB/C set. What the fuck?? Somehow I got back doored out of a sale this time last year for $215 and I never bothered to get back into the market for a copy. 

These lads are selling for $525 shipped?? Unreal. Idk how you haven't fed those to the wolves yet. 

Somehow the best selling games of all time are scarce and desirable. Pokemon games.selling for more than Smash 64 and Super Mario World is insane to me. 

I would suggest the prices arrn't sustainable, but after a decade of collecting I now know better. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I looked up crystal since it's the only one I need for the GB/C set. What the fuck?? Somehow I got back doored out of a sale this time last year for $215 and I never bothered to get back into the market for a copy. 

These lads are selling for $525 shipped?? Unreal. Idk how you haven't fed those to the wolves yet. 

Somehow the best selling games of all time are scarce and desirable. Pokemon games.selling for more than Smash 64 and Super Mario World is insane to me. 

I would suggest the prices arrn't sustainable, but after a decade of collecting I now know better. 

Is that for CIB? Here's a sealed one that I wouldn't be surprised if it goes for over 100k: https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/nintendo/pokemon-crystal-version-wata-98-a-sealed-gbc-nintendo-2001-usa/a/7242-93067.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Open-AlsoViewed-Thumbnail-081514&tab=BrowseAlsoViewed-012417

1 hour ago, tidaldreams said:

What do the population %'s mean (Population: 100% (all), 100% (sealed))?

Percentage of copies that are that box print. Since there's only one print, of course they're 100% 🤣 it's obviously fairly useless for a game with only one print, but I just put it in so the format would be consistent with the games that have multiple prints.

@RegularGuyGamer
There definitely isn't enough market supply of boxed copies in good condition to satisfy current demand, which is why prices are shooting up and trash copies are selling. The Gen 2 and 3 boxes are also kinda unusually subject to wear due to their shininess/shatterfoiliness, which is also a factor, I think. Crystal is "rare" in Pokémon terms too, it sold fewer copies than any other cardboard game I think. Emerald is similar.

I suspect there are a lot of copies out there that aren't on the market because people do have a strong attachment to these games. You'd think there might be a stabilization point somewhere if the cib prices get *so* high it almost forces anyone just keeping their copy for sentiment to sell, but hard to guess where that might be. Gloves decided not to sell me his yellow 🤣

So yeah, if you want a cib emerald or crystal in good condition right now, you're looking at $500+ 😬 red is getting there too, thanks to charizard I guess.

Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, AdamW said:

@RegularGuyGamer
There definitely isn't enough market supply of boxed copies in good condition to satisfy current demand, which is why prices are shooting up and trash copies are selling. The Gen 2 and 3 boxes are also kinda unusually subject to wear due to their shininess/shatterfoiliness, which is also a factor, I think. Crystal is "rare" in Pokémon terms too, it sold fewer copies than any other cardboard game I think. Emerald is similar.

I suspect there are a lot of copies out there that aren't on the market because people do have a strong attachment to these games. You'd think there might be a stabilization point somewhere if the cib prices get *so* high it almost forces anyone just keeping their copy for sentiment to sell, but hard to guess where that might be. Gloves decided not to sell me his yellow 🤣

So yeah, if you want a cib emerald or crystal in good condition right now, you're looking at $500+ 😬 red is getting there too, thanks to charizard I guess.

If I am gonna sell my yellow, I'm gonna sell all my Pokemon CIBs.