IGNORED

Pokemon generations I to III US box print/variant guide, with contents and population survey

AdamW

Back on the question of Sandshrew production history, this is an interesting listing

EDIT: I messaged the seller to check, they got back to me and apparently the manual and cart are his original ones, but the box was a replacement, and the consumer safety info may have been mixed up with one from another game as they stored them all together. So can't draw any conclusions, unfortunately 😞

Edited by AdamW

So here's a cool update on the Great Sandshrew Pocket Type / Cartridge Case / Weight Theory. I asked Kenneth Thrower from WATA directly about their records of Sandshrew box weights, and he said "Both [that is, Red and Blue] come with 2 weights about 15 grams apart"!

So it looks a lot like you really can tell if a sealed Sandshrew has a flap pocket and protector case, or an open pocket and no protector case, by weight...and WATA actually knows which of the copies it has graded are which. I would really, really love to know which category the 9.6 and 9.4 copies that have been sold/traded recently fell into. 😄

Edited by AdamW
clarify quote

Further to the above, I know everyone here has a hot take on WATA and there are legit questions and I may have said the odd salty thing myself. But. To give credit where it's due - Kenneth was cool enough to chat extremely minute Pokemon box details with me for an hour, and share some info WATA has that I did not have, and give me permission to add it to this thread. So I gotta say, he sure knows his onions on this stuff and was cool enough to take the time to chat to me about it and let me share his info publicly.

We compared box date codes, and we each have a few the other did not have, so I will look back over our chat and add those to the lists in the first post soon. He also shared that WATA has seen Red/Blue y-fold (Rattata) boxes with no date code, which I did not know existed. If I understand him right, he reckons this leaves open the possibility that some white-ESRB Rattata boxes were printed earlier than I have them pegged, perhaps even as early as the earliest Sandshrews; his take is, I think, why HA is hedging about production order in recent auction listings.

I think on balance I personally still would reckon 1998 boxes were all Sandshrews, going on all the info we have so far. But it's fair to say we can't be completely certain about it if there are Rattata boxes with no print date. So I'll rewrite the production order stuff in the first post to leave a bit more room for uncertainty there.

Another odd thing he had spotted which I hadn't - white-ESRB and black-ESRB Rattata box codes seem to overlap slightly. We don't know why they'd print white-ESRB boxes after they'd already started printing black-ESRB boxes, but it seems like they actually did, briefly.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 5:55 PM, Gb24 said:

I have a Pokemon sapphire manual with the code agb-axpe-usa-1. I believe it might be a fake though. It weighs 2 grams less than my Pokemon ruby manual. 

Almost certainly fake, yeah. I'd be curious to see it, though. Do you have pics? Thanks!

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 1/17/2023 at 5:58 PM, broncofantd793 said:

I’ve really enjoyed this thread, and I check it regularly. Today, I almost got rid of an early Ruby cartridge if I’m reading it correctly!

CD04DB92-2C5B-47B9-9234-3AED8EAE2942.jpeg

yeah, the bottom one is a pretty early one! I don't know if anyone will ever value cart PCB dates especially, but it's cool to have early ones I think 🙂