IGNORED

VGS Dark Mode Feedback Thread

Gloves

Events Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Gloves said:

The clubs issue should be fixed now. I also dimmed the header images for each club since they can be quite bright. If you hover over the club the image will brighten up.

Nice! Glad the text have backgrounds now, and I really like the club images brightening up when you hover over them, that should probably also be implemented in the light mode too if it isn't already. Just a nice little touch.

With that said... OK, this is the nitpickiest of nitpicks, but I noticed that some letters in club titles appear to be slightly obscured by the dark background for whatever reason, and this isn't an issue in light mode. Lowercase gs in particular seem to have this problem:

1411ac7c8e3e57b7f78eb6c71e7ced37.png

Again, super nitpicky, but I figured I should bring it to your attention regardless. Other than that, this is definitely a very very welcome change! 🙂

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Thanks 1

Events Team · Posted

Also, a couple other things I noticed about some of the options when making a post, which I forgot to check until just now. If you click on the font size option, the menu there has the default white background with black text. In addition, when you click on the option for adding colors to text, It also has the standard white background, white text. Same thing when you click on the More Colors option.

324bc84fb5d7fffeacf40c33a1bada36.png

2f986e5ef15537183559f95f1bc02a0a.png

660ad966cd386dce9afdfd00649a09d0.png

AND I somehow only just now noticed this as well, but when you make an edit to a post (Like I'm doing now) it still has the default white bar at the top for the various options, in addition to all the stuff mentioned above.

1ca48d8abba403375ce46f869071b992.png

Sorry I'm givin' ya' so much to fix, I just keep forgetting to check a bunch of stuff.

Edited by ZeldaFreak

Events Team · Posted
Gloves
This post was recognized by Gloves!

ZeldaFreak was awarded the badge 'PARTICIPATE - Helping Hand' and 50 points.

Aw shit... Jesus, I'm really sorry @Gloves, I just keep noticing stuff 😅

First of all, I noticed that, in addition to the default white bar still being there when you edit a post

1ca48d8abba403375ce46f869071b992.png

It's also still there when you compose a new message

2d5c63e3fd40c48effbee1b55dffaabd.png

Secondly, I noticed that the text is very dim on the Search option on the top right of the site, might want to brighten that up. And right after I noticed that, I also noticed that the magnifying glass icon is slightly cut off as well

574d83c6eb55dddf2bcf2b2ce6a3ff78.png

I'm just gonna stop looking for stuff to complain about now, I feel really bad finding all these little problems scattered everywhere. You were right @Jeevan 😆

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
3 hours ago, ZeldaFreak said:

I just took a quick look through a bunch of various corners of the site, and most everything is looking good, however there are a few things I noticed that could be improved.

First of all, if you click on Activity > Search at the top of the site, on the bottom left is an option which I presume is for searching for content within a particular club, and it's definitely quite bright and out of place in the dark mode. That could use fixing.

Secondly, I noticed if you go to Clubs > Any Club > Members and view that section, it definitely looks pretty hideous in dark mode.

I think it might be better if it looked more like the Staff section

That's about all I could find though. Everything else looked good as far as I could tell (Or if it didn't, it was just due to images having bright backgrounds and what have you, which isn't a problem with the dark mode itself.)

Updated everything from this post.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
3 hours ago, Penguin said:

Sooo how do I enable dark mode for the site?  My phone is set to dark mode but I can’t find where to adjust that on the forums here.

That is one slight complaint I have about how you change the themes currently. It's way down at the bottom of the site, so a lot of people may not even realize that there is a dark mode at all. I wish that option was a little more obvious, maybe somewhere at the top of the site where all the other options are instead of way at the bottom. But I dunno, that may just be me.

Events Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Gloves said:

@ZeldaFreak thanks again for the help in tracking down issues on dark mode. For your contributions, I've awarded you the Helping Hand charm!

Congrats! 

😮 Hell yeah! Thank you so much man, glad to have been of some help with the site, I really appreciate it! 😄

Administrator · Posted
On 8/14/2020 at 5:42 PM, Code Monkey said:

I've been using it since the day it was available and I'd rather deal with the issues than switch back to white. I have Autism so I'm sensitive to bright lights and the white background is too painful for me to use. I don't know if that helps you at all, I'm probably not your target audience.

Any user is the target audience. Usability and accessibility is very important to me, not just on this site but on any site I work on.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted

I added back Dark Mode. It's not perfect, there are a number of new things that have been added that I need to now style, but it's dark and I hope that's enough. Apologies for blinding you all with the default (light) theme - Dark Mode had some serious issues initially which I have fixed.

Feel free to let me know in here as before any issues you come across and I'll see that they're resolved.

As a refresher, you can change to Dark Mode in the Footer of the site, at the bottom of every page:

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Events Team · Posted
7 hours ago, Gloves said:

I added back Dark Mode. It's not perfect, there are a number of new things that have been added that I need to now style, but it's dark and I hope that's enough. Apologies for blinding you all with the default (light) theme - Dark Mode had some serious issues initially which I have fixed.

Feel free to let me know in here as before any issues you come across and I'll see that they're resolved.

As a refresher, you can change to Dark Mode in the Footer of the site, at the bottom of every page:

image.png

👍 Like I said in the Maintenance thread, I'll wait until the transition fully completes, whenever that may be, before complaining about anything, as like I said in there, there are a few things I've noticed right off the bat.