IGNORED

First person dungeon crawlers

Strange

I'd say Wizardry V is my favorite.  I've only played the first 5, so I'd like to give the others a try someday.

If you count it, the original Persona is pretty good too.  I don't even mind the translation everyone complains about.  

Swords and Serpents isn't bad either.  the multi-player option seems interesting, but I never took advantage of it.

I'd like to revisit Mysterium for Game Boy some day.  I played it for a bit a long time ago and kinda like it, but I never went back and finished it.

10 minutes ago, Red said:

I'd say Wizardry V is my favorite.  I've only played the first 5, so I'd like to give the others a try someday.

If you count it, the original Persona is pretty good too.  I don't even mind the translation everyone complains about.  

Swords and Serpents isn't bad either.  the multi-player option seems interesting, but I never took advantage of it.

I'd like to revisit Mysterium for Game Boy some day.  I played it for a bit a long time ago and kinda like it, but I never went back and finished it.

Wiz V is definitely my favorite of the first five, but Wizardry Gold on the PC (updated version of 7) is probably my favorite over all.

Mysterium is one I used to drool over in Nintendo Power, but in actual gameplay leaves a lot to be desired.

3 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

Wiz V is definitely my favorite of the first five, but Wizardry Gold on the PC (updated version of 7) is probably my favorite over all.

Mysterium is one I used to drool over in Nintendo Power, but in actual gameplay leaves a lot to be desired.

Yeah, I do have a feeling Mysterium won't be as good as I remember.  I'd still like to go back to it though.

What did you (or anyone else here) think of Wizardry IV?  Has anyone beaten it without help?  It had some nice ideas and I really wanted to like it, but the extreme difficulty made it a chore to play.  It's got to be the most difficult RPG I've ever played.  It's the only one that ever I started but didn't finish due to the difficulty.   

I actually really enjoyed Mysterium, and I've beaten it quite a few times. You always get a little further each play through. Eventually you'll memorize what you can craft and when you'll need to craft what.

I'd highly recommend The Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2. Those are some of the best first person dungeon crawlers I've ever played, especially the 2nd one!

1 hour ago, Armageddon Potato said:

I actually really enjoyed Mysterium, and I've beaten it quite a few times. You always get a little further each play through. Eventually you'll memorize what you can craft and when you'll need to craft what.

I'd highly recommend The Legend of Grimrock 1 & 2. Those are some of the best first person dungeon crawlers I've ever played, especially the 2nd one!

Grimrock is great.  Have both, but haven't played 2 yet.

• 2 months later...
On 2/11/2020 at 6:32 PM, The Strangest said:

I’ve been interested in the “roots” of RPGs for awhile now and first person dungeon crawlers (Wizardry, etc.) are a favorite of mine.

The ones I’ve been playing lately are:

Wizardry 6 (PC/GOG)

Dark Spire (DS)

Orcs and Elves (DS)

I’ve also played some of the various Vita dungeon crawlers, but they haven’t hooked me as much. Maybe I’ll give them another shot. I think I’m going to get Etrian Odyssey V soon, and I’d kill for a CIB copy of Fighting Fantasy (DS).

Okay, clearly I’ve spent most of my dungeon crawling on Nintendo’s handhelds. What are some of your favorites?

Give Paper Sorcerer a try if you haven't already. It's only a couple of quid on Steam and was done by one guy.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/263560/Paper_Sorcerer/

Super fun and stylish.

As for myself, I just got done with Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers which was a blast. Not too long either at 35 hours. I really want to play DOOM RPG but I'm going to have to pick up an old phone to do it (I've tried java emulators and its just not the same).

• Like 1

I like them most when they have an auto map.  Trying to draw my own maps was always tedious and I would always screw them up.  What was really frustrating was games where you couldn't really step through the sections and you weren't really sure how long to make them.  I seem to remember Obitus being like this.  I'm currently working on Labyrinth of Refrain on the switch.  It's pretty meaty, but people who don't like anime probably wouldn't care for it.  I'm taking forever on it though because I keep jumping to other games.

You're not alone I really want to play those old Doom/Wolf RPG games from the pre-iOS/Android days but they're just nasty to come by, emulators are garbage, and good luck getting an original phone to throw it on there as it's just not worth the harassment.  It seems just stupid and negligent on Bethesdas part who own iD now as they love to pump out mobile app games to squeeze for money or for advertising too depending.

3 hours ago, Estil said:

Umm, what exactly constitutes a "dungeon crawler"?  I'll probably look/sound stupid for asking...

Just about any RPG where you spend most/all of the game making your way through dungeons killing monsters and grabbing loot.

6 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You're not alone I really want to play those old Doom/Wolf RPG games from the pre-iOS/Android days but they're just nasty to come by, emulators are garbage, and good luck getting an original phone to throw it on there as it's just not worth the harassment.  It seems just stupid and negligent on Bethesdas part who own iD now as they love to pump out mobile app games to squeeze for money or for advertising too depending.

Yeah they're a pain. There's also different versions tailored to different phones with improved/lessened graphical quality depending on the model. I'm just glad Orcs & Elves made it to DS at least. I think part of the issue is that the devs that made them are owned by EA now but I'm sure they could work something out if they wanted to.

8 hours ago, arch_8ngel said:

There is a sci-fi crawler in the vein of Grimrock that scratches that itch...

What's the name?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Cepp said:

Just about any RPG where you spend most/all of the game making your way through dungeons killing monsters and grabbing loot.

That's pretty much all of them though 😞  Sort of like how the traditional definition of an RPG (assuming the role of a character or team of characters) fits perfectly in terms of the old fashioned table top/pencil-paper kind, but for video games you assuming the role of a character(s) in pretty much all of them 😞 I thought maybe "dungeon crawlers" was a more distinctive genre...hee hee is dungeon crawlers anything like Creepy Crawlers? 😄 

On 4/30/2020 at 5:09 PM, Estil said:

That's pretty much all of them though 😞  Sort of like how the traditional definition of an RPG (assuming the role of a character or team of characters) fits perfectly in terms of the old fashioned table top/pencil-paper kind, but for video games you assuming the role of a character(s) in pretty much all of them 😞 I thought maybe "dungeon crawlers" was a more distinctive genre...hee hee is dungeon crawlers anything like Creepy Crawlers? 😄 

They differ from typical RPGs in that you literally spend the entire game inside a dungeon or set of dungeons. Usually no overworld at all or towns to visit, and if there are it's represented with a simple menu or something. I think most often they are first-person, even back in the day, but not always.