IGNORED

Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest Round 007: Goldeneye 007

Red

Hello and welcome to the 007th round of the Nintendo 64 Weekly Contest!  This week's game is Goldeneye 007.

Rules:

- Start a new game on 00 Agent difficulty.
- Play all 3 parts (Dam, Facility, and Runway) of Mission 1 (Arkangelsk).
- Take a picture of your statistics at the end of each part.
- Highest number of cleared parts wins.
- If more than one participant clears the same number of parts, most total kills win (maximum of 90, kills over 90 won't count).
- If more than one participant has the same number (or surpasses the maximum allowed number) of kills, fastest combined times wins.
- You may replay any of the parts without replaying the others for a better score.

- You have until 11:00 PM EST on Sunday, January 30, 2022 to submit your score.

For general contest rules, click here:

https://www.videogamesages.com/forums/topic/9667-nintendo-64-weekly-contest-leaderboard-rules-20212022/

Good luck and have fun!

SCOREBOARD:

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

I was never good at this game, I wasn't a Goldeneye kid at all. I always wanted to go back to Mario Kart or Star Fox or Smash whenever my friends wanted to play Goldeneye. I was basically target practice. Sometimes I'd try my hardest, and sometimes I'd find a corner somewhere and try to cover an entire floor tile with bullet holes.

So it's time for me to play some Goldeneye!

I haven't played it much in years.  IGN waaaaaaay back in the day posted a speed run of the Facility on 00 Agent mode and I did my best to match it.  Never did, but I got within a second or two.

But that was over 20 years ago.  Let's see if any of that muscle memory can kick in.

And sorry I missed Pilot Wings.  I meant to try and throw up an attempt last night, but I got busy and didn't make it.  i'm gonna definitely try to get a GoldenEye score up.  I mean, this is the one I've really been waiting for, whether I do well or not.

Events Helper · Posted

Drunk as F*** and can't beat a level, but it didn't say to actually beat a level, so you let me know if this counts @Red

https://imgur.com/a/kqhuBTq

Rough day at work, nothing like trying to dig out 100lbs of silicone that gelled up in a tank, that you can only dig out from the top, etc.  What a fucked up day.  Anyway, hopefully i get my 10 pts to beat some of these boys!!!!  

😘

So, i dont know if that counts as 4 or what, but hopefully i can score some points lol.

Events Helper · Posted
19 minutes ago, Splain said:

Red checking out our absolutely piss-poor showing this week:

iU0xzwA.jpg

well, you know what, he should be proud, we are almost to 100 on the completion list 😉  It's his fault for trying to make us actually compete while doing that and all the other stuff, love you @Red and you are a saint for putting up with us n64 boys 😘

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Red said:

...yikes.

The minimum requirement to post a score was to finish Part 1 of Stage 1, which nobody did, so I can't reward any points this week.  Congratulations to @Alec_Trevelyan for his victory.

The week 8 thread can be found here:

Whelp, guess I shouldn't have drank a bit before tryin this lol.  Oh well, I guess I can try to get something on wave race!!!!

I didn't get to sit down and try this until last night... so, yeah.  I'm eating humble pie.  Either I reaaaaaaallly suck now (probably) or controllers aren't what they use to be.  I tried some tests and getting to focus the crosshairs on non-moving enemies was super-tough.  There is a chance my controllers are old, even though they aren't super "wobbly".

Anyway, I didn't post that I failed... and failed... and failed.  I swear as a kid I beat this game on 00 Agent.  Now, I can't get past the first level.  In fact, I only got to the guard room at the gate once.

Events Helper · Posted
2 minutes ago, RH said:

I didn't get to sit down and try this until last night... so, yeah.  I'm eating humble pie.  Either I reaaaaaaallly suck now (probably) or controllers aren't what they use to be.  I tried some tests and getting to focus the crosshairs on non-moving enemies was super-tough.  There is a chance my controllers are old, even though they aren't super "wobbly".

Anyway, I didn't post that I failed... and failed... and failed.  I swear as a kid I beat this game on 00 Agent.  Now, I can't get past the first level.  In fact, I only got to the guard room at the gate once.

old age catching up with us.  had I been of sound mind, I think I could have done better lol.  anyway, I wish I would have just jumped off the dam and maybe it would have counted, idk.  I was being too cautious and playing on a brawler, so it was a totally different feel for the controller.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Red said:

...yikes.

The minimum requirement to post a score was to finish Part 1 of Stage 1, which nobody did, so I can't reward any points this week.  Congratulations to @Alec_Trevelyan for his victory.

The week 8 thread can be found here:

13 hours ago, Gloves said:

Wait god damn it, this was this week!??! I MISSED IT! 😧

19 minutes ago, koifish said:

I was gonna do this and then I saw the date...

@Red Since a few people missed this week AND those of us that participated sucked so bad we couldn't even get a score on the board, any chance you can consider last week a week off, and just move Golden-Eye to week 10?

And maybe that week drop the requirements to Agent.  I like the addition of timing and kill counts.  It does add a nice layer to it and even on Easy Mode, I think the really skilled players will shine through.

Edited by RH
  • Haha 1

Events Helper · Posted
33 minutes ago, RH said:

@Red Since a few people missed this week AND those of us that participated sucked so bad we couldn't even get a score on the board, any chance you can consider last week a week off, and just move Golden-Eye to week 10?

And maybe that week drop the requirements to Agent.  I like the addition of timing and kill counts.  It does add a nice layer to it and even on Easy Mode, I think the really skilled players will shine through.

red, can u make it easier......na, if he redoes it, it needs to be the same requirements imo......I'd be ok with a redo, but same setup 😉

It's funny cause I realized with ample time left that it could be a sole-player victory but I still could not beat the Dam!  I think the complicating factor for me was that I wasn't only getting hit by the same enemies - most of them had a chance - so it wasn't just a single obstacle to overcome with repetition and I got lost in the mix

Apparently VGSs is bad at Goldeneye, this might warrant a full-game 00 Agent summer showdown 

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, Krunch said:

It's funny cause I realized with ample time left that it could be a sole-player victory but I still could not beat the Dam!  I think the complicating factor for me was that I wasn't only getting hit by the same enemies - most of them had a chance - so it wasn't just a single obstacle to overcome with repetition and I got lost in the mix

Apparently VGSs is bad at Goldeneye, this might warrant a full-game 00 Agent summer showdown 

I'm really good at the game! I just didn't realize it was the game to play for the week! 😧

I'm not crazy about redoing this week.  I made a set of rules and set a time limit.  If no one was able to meet the minimum requirement within that time limit, then that's the way it's going to be.

However, if there is a tie for first on the leaderboard after week 10, I've been thinking about making a final tie breaker week in which a game or games from previous weeks would be played with a new set of rules.  Goldeneye wasn't going to be one of the games, but I'll consider it now.  If there isn't a tie, but enough interest in a final week in this format from the highest scoring participants, I'd be open to running it anyway.  It could be separate from the leaderboard points like the end of season NES tournament, or there could be points added on (maybe with a bigger difference in points rewarded between different places to make it more exciting?).

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Administrator · Posted

I wasn't able to participate for a number of reasons, one of which being I was being a bit inactive at the time due to work and life. Excuses aside, I hate to let the week go unused, so I've gone ahead and completed a quick run of the 3 levels required. I didn't bother to cheese kills cuz there's no competition to be had, but I did clear out the base enemies for each of the first two levels. I don't like Runway so I just scuffed it.

Here's my playthrough of each level on 00 Agent from tonight.

Dam:

Facility:

Runway:

• Like 1