IGNORED

Game Debate #82: Final Fantasy Tactics

Reed Rothchild

Rate it  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Rate based on your own personal preferences, NOT historical significance

• 10/10 - One of your very favorite games of all time.
    • 9/10 - Killer fucking game. Everyone should play it.
    • 8/10 - Great game. You like to recommend it.
    • 7/10 - Very good game, but not quite great.
    • 6/10 - Pretty good. You might enjoy occasionally playing it.
    • 5/10 - It's okay, but maybe not something you'll go out of your way to play.
    • 4/10 - Meh. There's plenty of better alternatives to this.
    • 3/10 - Not a very good game.
    • 2/10 - Pretty crappy.
    • 1/10 - Horrible game in every way.
    • 0/10 - The Desert Bus of painful experiences. You'd rather shove an icepick in your genitals than play this.
    • Never played it, but you're interested.
    • Never played it, never will.

On 12/30/2021 at 12:46 PM, TDIRunner said:

I always wanted to try it.  I'm a HUGE Vandal Hearts fan, and I've been told that means I would probably enjoy this game as well.  I've owned it for a while, but haven't had a chance to try it.  

Ahhhhh Vandal Hearts! If that makes sense, Vandal Hearts is like the arcade version and FFT is the simulation. The latter’s job system is much more complex.

So much so that I can’t get into it. Whenever these systems become too involved, I feel like I’m fucking up and making bad character progression all the time and that’s an unpleasant feeling for me.

But Vandal Hearts nails it. There aren’t that many combinations so you could just try every possibility in just 2 playthroughs. And the game is short enough that it isn’t daunting to do that.

On 12/30/2021 at 3:32 PM, TDIRunner said:

I've always wanted to find something similar since the sequel to VH was pretty disappointing for me.  

Why?? Dont you like HAVING ENEMIES MOVE OUT OF ATTACKING RANGE BECAUSE TURNS ARE SIMULTANEOUS AND EVERYTHING IS JUST ONE BIG FUCKING GUESSING GAME?!? No? Me neither 🙂

edit: 9/10 yeah Everyone should play it.

Edited by WhyNotZoidberg
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Ha.  I guess I never thought about there having been more games than that original release.

Interesting, I asked this question on gaming.stackexchange.com a long time ago about the difference between FFT and FFT:War of the Lions.  No one mentioned the cut scenes had spoken dialog?!  I never played WotL so, I just learned this today!

https://gaming.stackexchange.com/questions/104051/what-is-the-difference-between-final-fantasy-tactics-and-fft-war-of-the-lion

Editorials Team · Posted

The purist in me was annoyed with some of the PSP changes.

For example, the original has a bunch of one-of-a-kind items equipped on the vampiric boss, and they're super hard to steal from him.

In the PSP version he just had regular boring gear, and you (presumably) get that stuff in the networked multiplayer mode.  Blah.

DNPewZfVwAA8dhp.jpg

Loved it and played it a ton (like getting all the secret items, summons, etc) back on release but never touched it again.  Not sure what kind of rating that would equate to but prob 8 out of 10?

What's really fuckin sad is that this is legitamently the last game bearing the name final fantasy that I would actually call great.

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, peg said:

Loved it and played it a ton (like getting all the secret items, summons, etc) back on release but never touched it again.  Not sure what kind of rating that would equate to but prob 8 out of 10?

What's really fuckin sad is that this is legitamently the last game bearing the name final fantasy that I would actually call great.

I know there's literally zero chance of you playing it, but honestly man FFXIV is stellar. It's an MMO, but it puts story first and it is easily one of the best FF stories. The music may well be THE best in the series, too. And the gameplay is incredibly fun.