IGNORED

September 2021 Read: Hyperion by Dan Simmons

SailorScoutMandy

Meet our September book! 

Hyperion by Dan Simmons

spacer.png

On the world called Hyperion, beyond the law of the Hegemony of Man, there waits the creature called the Shrike. There are those who worship it. There are those who fear it. And there are those who have vowed to destroy it. In the Valley of the Time Tombs, where huge, brooding structures move backward through time, the Shrike waits for them all. On the eve of Armageddon, with the entire galaxy at war, seven pilgrims set forth on a final voyage to Hyperion seeking the answers to the unsolved riddles of their lives. Each carries a desperate hope—and a terrible secret. And one may hold the fate of humanity in his hands.ngnds.

9 hours ago, doner24 said:

Read the first story, of the priest last night. Very engaging, pumped to read the rest. Interesting that it seems that they are following a style like The Canterbury Tales in progressing the story through individual stories. 

Yes I love that comparison. Canterbury tales was my fav in lit class. 

• Like 1

I finished this morning and I was kind of back and forth on this one.

Spoiler

It started engaging and the first story from Hoyt was interesting but by the time he finished, I had already forgotten about the rest of the characters in the main story and I found that kind of annoying. Then get a little further with the main story before going on another 40 page tangent with  Kassad. I knew nothing of this book before starting it so I didn't realize how it was structured, so it took me awhile to get it. It's very well written but another thing I'm not a fan of was the ending or lack there of. Unless there is something ending, don't end the book. Instead it felt like halfway through the second act, the publisher came in and took the manuscript away saying, "times up".

2021/22 VGS Book Club

All You Need Is Kill (4/5)

Hyperion (3/5)

The Colour of Magic (3/5)

Neuromancer (2/5)

Edited by Aguy

Administrator · Posted
On 9/10/2021 at 5:05 PM, Aguy said:

I finished this morning and I was kind of back and forth on this one.

Hide contents

It started engaging and the first story from Hoyt was interesting but by the time he finished, I had already forgotten about the rest of the characters in the main story and I found that kind of annoying. Then get a little further with the main story before going on another 40 page tangent with  Kassad. I knew nothing of this book before starting it so I didn't realize how it was structured, so it took me awhile to get it. It's very well written but another thing I'm not a fan of was the ending or lack there of. Unless there is something ending, don't end the book. Instead it felt like halfway through the second act, the publisher came in and took the manuscript away saying, "times up".

2021/22 VGS Book Club

All You Need Is Kill (4/5)

Hyperion (3/5)

The Colour of Magic (3/5)

Neuromancer (2/5)

The Hyperion Cantos is split into 4 books, the first two and the last two being hundreds of years separated. You really need to read the second book! You basically just read The Fellowship of the Ring.

• 2 weeks later...
Moderator · Posted
On 9/26/2021 at 11:57 PM, Reed Rothchild said:

Finished it.  Loved it.  I do have the 2nd book, but I think I'll let it simmer for a year or three before I get to it.

Just ordered Silence of the Lambs even though I hesitate to add to my backlog.

I just finished the 2nd book, and would highly recommend reading it sooner than later, or it might be a little tough to follow along. A very good book/series. 

• Love 1

I just picked it up yesterday, I'm going to start it after our October book.

7 minutes ago, doner24 said:

I just finished the 2nd book, and would highly recommend reading it sooner than later, or it might be a little tough to follow along. A very good book/series. 

• Like 1

• 1 year later...