IGNORED

2020-21 NCAA Football/Basketball Thread

Bearcat-Doug

1 minute ago, Br81zad said:

3rd highest upset in the last decade (or some crazy stat)

Sucks, but I'd much rather the freshman learn this lesson in November than March. 

After the game I think I saw on ESPN that Evansville was a 25 point underdog and they said that was the third highest upset in the last 10 years, but I don't know if they meant against a #1 team or overall. I wouldn't worry too much either. I doubt UK is in any danger of missing the tournament so by March that game isn't going to even matter except in Evansville.

5 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

After the game I think I saw on ESPN that Evansville was a 25 point underdog and they said that was the third highest upset in the last 10 years, but I don't know if they meant against a #1 team or overall. I wouldn't worry too much either. I doubt UK is in any danger of missing the tournament so by March that game isn't going to even matter except in Evansville.

The players and students will remember that for a lifetime. Pretty cool for them

11 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

The players and students will remember that for a lifetime. Pretty cool for them

It reminded me of a few years back when Robert Morris beat UK in the first round of the NIT. UK looked like they didn't even want to be there, so I doubt any of them really cared, but the Robert Morris fans still remember that game. https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/rmu/2018/03/19/robert-morris-basketball-kentucky-nit-andy-toole-john-calipari-five-years/stories/201803190120

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It reminded me of a few years back when Robert Morris beat UK in the first round of the NIT. UK looked like they didn't even want to be there, so I doubt any of them really cared, but I'm sure the Robert Morris fans still remember that game.

Yeah, funny story about that. It was supposed to be a home game for UK (the better seed plays at home in the NIT). But 1st round NCAA tournament games were being played in Rupp that weekend, and the UK Women's team was already using the smaller gym for their tournament game. 

So the game was moved to Robert Morris' facility. 

33 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

Yeah, funny story about that. It was supposed to be a home game for UK (the better seed plays at home in the NIT). But 1st round NCAA tournament games were being played in Rupp that weekend, and the UK Women's team was already using the smaller gym for their tournament game. 

So the game was moved to Robert Morris' facility. 

I remember them mentioning that during the game. I don't know how many NBA draft picks UK had on that team, but they looked like they were checked out and wanted the season to be over.

1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I remember them mentioning that during the game. I don't know how many NBA draft picks UK had on that team, but they looked like they were checked out and wanted the season to be over.

I believe only 2 that year. And one of them had a torn ACL and didn't play (Nerlens Noel)

And the other was Archie Goodwin. He wasn't anything special. Been in and out of the D-league since being drafted

2 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

I believe only 2 that year. And one of them had a torn ACL and didn't play (Nerlens Noel)

And the other was Archie Goodwin. He wasn't anything special. Been in and out of the D-league since being drafted

I don't follow the NBA at all so I don't know how many UK players actually turn out to be stars, but it seems like they get multiple first round picks every year.

13 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't follow the NBA at all so I don't know how many UK players actually turn out to be stars, but it seems like they get multiple first round picks every year.

John Wall

Demarcus Cousins

Karl Anthony-Towns

Anthony Davis

Devin Booker

Jamal Murray

Julius Randle

Brandon Knight

DeAaron Fox

Malik Monk

Tyler Herro

PJ Washington

Willie Caullie-Stein

Eric Bledsoe

Kevin Knox

Bam Adebayo

Terrance Jones

These guys listed have all had good NBA careers so far, and there are several that I've missed. A quick search showed that 29 former UK players were on NBA rosters to start the 19/20 season. (most of any college represented)

9 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

John Wall

Demarcus Cousins

Karl Anthony-Towns

Anthony Davis

Devin Booker

Jamal Murray

Julius Randle

Brandon Knight

DeAaron Fox

Malik Monk

Tyler Herro

PJ Washington

Willie Caullie-Stein

Eric Bledsoe

Kevin Knox

Bam Adebayo

Terrance Jones

These guys listed have all had good NBA careers so far, and there are several that I've missed. A quick search showed that 29 former UK players were on NBA rosters to start the 19/20 season. (most of any college represented)

I know the Bearcats don't get a lot of players drafted. I think Jacob Evans in 2018 was the first to get drafted since Lance Stephenson in 2010. They've had several football players go to the NFL with Travis Kelce likely being the best example.

3 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I know the Bearcats don't get a lot of players drafted. I think Jacob Evans in 2018 was the first to get drafted since Lance Stephenson in 2010. They've had several football players go to the NFL with Travis Kelce likely being the best example.

Kelce is good.

Randle Cobb and Danny Trevathen are probably the most recognizable currently. Benny Snell is a rookie on the Steelers getting 2nd string touches.

Other than those guys, there's a few good defensive players on rosters that aren't household names.

11 minutes ago, Br81zad said:

Kelce is good.

Randle Cobb and Danny Trevathen are probably the most recognizable currently. Benny Snell is a rookie on the Steelers getting 2nd string touches.

Other than those guys, there's a few good defensive players on rosters that aren't household names.

Looks like there are 16 Bearcats currently in the NFL with Travis Kelce (KC), Jason Kelce (PHI), Derek Wolfe (DEN), Justin Murray (ARI), Chris Moore (BAL) and Kevin Huber (CIN) all being listed as starters. That's actually more than I thought. 

Yeah that was a humiliating loss with our first ever game against Evansville...not to mention I feel really old considering that their coach Walter McCarthy was one of the 1996 "Untouchables" championship team and I was only 16 at the time...yet he's already half gray! 😞

Just remember we had that humiliating loss against Clown U in 2012 and we bounced right back to win the title...we are more than capable of doing the same this season.

Worst/most humiliating loss in our history?  Not even close.  It would be by far this one on January 8, 1955 when we lost as home for the first time in twelve calendar years (no that's not a typo)...our fans at the time quite literally reacted like they just found out there was no Santa Claus. 😞  For more recent history, there's no way to top our 2008 defeat against Gardner-Webb at home in Gillespie's second game as our coach...talk about the quickest end to a coaching honeymoon ever!!

http://www.bigbluehistory.net/bb/statistics/Games/19550108GeorgiaTech.html

I had been staying out of this thread because I know some of you may still be upset at me because I got a little too excited/carried away about our miraculous 2014 NCAA Runner-Up season.  I mean you guys know from my icon where my allegiance lies and why.  You guys know who I'm pulling for to bring home the big gold trophy in the end.

Edited by Estil

35 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I would say sorry about the bowl game last year, but we owed you one for the 2008 Orange Bowl.

We've been dogs ass for two years, it's been embarrassing. Hopefully we get it together soon! We have to maintain 15 straight over UVA or else. Always liked Cincy and playing them, go cats.

17 minutes ago, diddles_mcbean said:

We've been dogs ass for two years, it's been embarrassing. Hopefully we get it together soon! We have to maintain 15 straight over UVA or else. Always liked Cincy and playing them, go cats.

I wouldn't mind seeing them play more often, maybe UC will get an ACC invite if they expand again. Three of the last four meetings since 2009 were bowl games. The last regular season game was in 2012 when the Bearcats won at FedEx field. Former UC AD Whit Babcock is still the AD at VT, so I'm surprised they don't schedule each other regularly.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

On 11/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, doner24 said:

Honestly, Rose Bowl is my goal. While the CFP would be awesome, making a Rose Bowl would be awesome to see for my dad. 

It's looking rough right now. If they lose to Iowa that is going to make the final game against Wisconsin basically a play in for the Big 10 title game.

On 11/13/2019 at 7:01 PM, Estil said:

I had been staying out of this thread because I know some of you may still be upset at me because I got a little too excited/carried away about our miraculous 2014 NCAA Runner-Up season.  I mean you guys know from my icon where my allegiance lies and why.  You guys know who I'm pulling for to bring home the big gold trophy in the end.

So....did you celebrate your five year anniversary this year of coming in second?

For all the success UK has had over the years, that's a very odd place to hang your hat.

On 11/5/2019 at 9:02 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

I would be shocked if you see Urban Meyer coaching anywhere again.   The stress gives him migraines or something.

Maybe AD somewhere down the line.

I'd bet a bazillion dollars he coaches again someday, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's next year.  Also, you're in Canton?  Tallmadge here baby!

1 minute ago, hyrulevyse said:

I'd bet a bazillion dollars he coaches again someday, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if it's next year.  Also, you're in Canton?  Tallmadge here baby!

We eat at that Wally Waffle sometimes near the cupcake place.

How old are Urban's kids?   If he does coach again I'll bet he waits until they're older.   But I still think he waits for an AD spot if anything; not like he needs the money.

2 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

We eat at that Wally Waffle sometimes near the cupcake place.

How old are Urban's kids?   If he does coach again I'll bet he waits until they're older.   But I still think he waits for an AD spot if anything; not like he needs the money.

Nice, that's a Tallmadge institution.  Not sure how old his kids are but my impression of him is he just goes so hard at his job he gets burned out quick and needs to recharge.  I have this theory/joke that he'll try to win a championship in each conference.  So USC next year till however long that takes....quit, come back at Texas to knock out the Big 12, then on to FSU to check off the ACC, and finally close the show as an independent at Notre Dame which by all accounts has always been his dream job.

2 minutes ago, hyrulevyse said:

Nice, that's a Tallmadge institution.  Not sure how old his kids are but my impression of him is he just goes so hard at his job he gets burned out quick and needs to recharge.  I have this theory/joke that he'll try to win a championship in each conference.  So USC next year till however long that takes....quit, come back at Texas to knock out the Big 12, then on to FSU to check off the ACC, and finally close the show as an independent at Notre Dame which by all accounts has always been his dream job.

I have a feeling Brian Kelly would be fired in 0.5 seconds if Urban ever makes that officially known.

Which would serve his ass right for how he left UC.

1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I have a feeling Brian Kelly would be fired in 0.5 seconds if Urban ever makes that officially known.

Which would serve his ass right for how he left UC.

That was the story at the time in 2005 when he left Utah.  Everyone thought it was a foregone conclusion he was going to Notre Dame because it was his 'dream job', apparently even ND was shocked he went to Florida and had to go to Weiss as plan B.  That's just how I remember the media portraying it at the time at least.

I've always wondered if Kelly still would've left Cinci if they had gotten into the BCS championship game that year.