IGNORED

2020-21 NCAA Football/Basketball Thread

Bearcat-Doug

On 11/12/2019 at 7:17 PM, doner24 said:

Honestly, Rose Bowl is my goal. While the CFP would be awesome, making a Rose Bowl would be awesome to see for my dad. 

An Outback Bowl win over #12 Auburn is still a great season at 11-2. Hopefully the Bearcats can beat Boston College tomorrow and get their 11th win too. 

Moderator · Posted
17 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

An Outback Bowl win over #12 Auburn is still a great season at 11-2. Hopefully the Bearcats can beat Boston College tomorrow and get their 11th win too. 

Pretty awesome finish to the best year for the Gophers in my lifetime. Although the score was only a 7 point win, we thoroughly dominated a team that beat Alabama, and have LSU a very close game.

Moderator · Posted
2 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Fleck will be coaching a USC or Washington in 2020 or 2021

Washington isn’t a step up. If Fleck goes anywhere it will be a power school with a big history and deep pockets. USC qualifies for that, Washington doesn’t. Minnesota was arguably the top team of the first half of the 1900’s, if Fleck is taken at his word he is going to try to make us a powerhouse again. With no other D1 schools here and the resources/facility to enable that it’s feasible.

Moderator · Posted
Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

That's what they all say before moving on.  He's gone in 2 years, max

Yeah, nearly all agree with that. But it won’t be Washington if he does. 

Funny thing is that I was not impressed with his coaching during the big games....until yesterday. He was previously passive, yesterday he was aggressive. Going for it on 4th downs, more aggressive play calls (big props to new OC). 

5 hours ago, nrslam said:

That'll make Fickell a top candidate for any power 5 school needing a coach.

Supposedly Fickell has a long term deal all ready to sign as soon as the season is over. He's lived in Ohio all his life and has said he doesn't want to leave. I doubt the Ohio State job is going to come open anytime soon so hopefully he does stay and keeps winning here.

Editorials Team · Posted
2 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Supposedly Fickell has a long term deal all ready to sign as soon as the season is over. He's lived in Ohio all his life and has said he doesn't want to leave. I doubt the Ohio State job is going to come open anytime soon so hopefully he does stay and keeps winning here.

They all say that

He gone

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

They all say that

He gone

I'm just going on what I've heard from people close to the program. Hopefully he doesn't end up like another Brian Kelly. He's got six kids and supposedly really enjoys it here and doesn't want to keep moving his family around. Now that they're done with the bowl game, hopes are the extension gets finished this week.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm just going on what I've heard from people close to the program. Hopefully he doesn't end up like another Brian Kelly. He's got six kids and supposedly really enjoys it here and doesn't want to keep moving his family around. Now that they're done with the bowl game, hopes are the extension gets finished this week.

Dude, this is LITERALLY what they all say 😂

"My kid's still in high school"

*announces new job the next day*

6 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Dude, this is LITERALLY what they all say 😂

"My kid's still in high school"

*announces new job the next day*

Yeah Dantonio, Jones, Kelly all did. All I'm aware of is that they have been working on an extension that's basically done. He could sign a 10 year deal today and all contracts usually have buyouts, so he could end up at Michigan or somewhere after next season. I'm just hoping that he gets paid here because if he's actually happy here and keeps winning like he has been, the Bearcats would probably be playing on Fickell field 20 years from now with a bronze statue of him greeting you as you enter the stadium. I'm sure Frank Beamer at VT could have went anywhere he wanted, but he was happy where he was. In basketball, I'm sure Mark Few at Gonzaga could have gotten a job at any top school for a lot more money, but he's still there.

On 1/2/2020 at 12:37 PM, doner24 said:

Yeah, nearly all agree with that. But it won’t be Washington if he does. 

Funny thing is that I was not impressed with his coaching during the big games....until yesterday. He was previously passive, yesterday he was aggressive. Going for it on 4th downs, more aggressive play calls (big props to new OC). 

The Baylor job just opened up with Rhule going to the Carolina Panthers...

3 minutes ago, doner24 said:

No difference in stature from MN, in fact it’s probably worse going to a lesser conference from a prestige standpoint. 

The Bearcats inner circle is already in meltdown mode. I didn't even know the Mississippi State job was open, but supposedly Fickell's name popped up there. Then there was this nice write up about how he would be a good fit at Baylor.

Luke Fickell, Cincinnati coach: Fickell has been wildly successful at Cincinnati, posting a 26-13 record in three seasons in charge. Not only does he have back-to-back 11-win seasons on his resume, but he has Power Five experience as the bridge between Jim Tressel and Urban Meyer at Ohio State in 2011. He doesn't have ties to the region, but Baylor didn't seem to care when it hired Rhule, who himself came in as an "outsider."

36 minutes ago, doner24 said:

No difference in stature from MN, in fact it’s probably worse going to a lesser conference from a prestige standpoint. 

I don't see Fickell going anywhere. There's been a long term extension in the works for a while. Top men are working on it right now.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug
  • Haha 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Did I mention that NDSU won an 8th title in 9 years.  And that if they beat Oregon next year (totally plausible) they'll probably break Oklahoma's all-time win streak record?

On one hand it has made FCS basically not even worth watching.  As if someone like Boise State dropped down and basically just locked down a level of play below them.

On the other hand I don't have to worry about any of our rivals winning titles.  Ever.

• 1 month later...