IGNORED

2020-21 NCAA Football/Basketball Thread

Bearcat-Doug

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

So....did you celebrate your five year anniversary this year of coming in second?

For all the success UK has had over the years, that's a very odd place to hang your hat.

It was more the way it happened.  It was like our famous 1994 Miracle at Mardi Gras, only better.  In fact our other second place teams, especially the 1966 Rupps Runts are among the most beloved in our history, not to mention our 1992 Unforgettables.  I can't believe ESPN never did a special about the Unforgettables.

As for my Bostonian wife's favorite team, the Red Sox their 1967 "Impossible Dream" season is among the most beloved teams in their history and they too came in second.  Same goes for 1975 when they had their most iconic moment in their history with Fisk waving it fair and later getting that left field foul pole name after him.

So much more often than you might think a team may have some teams that are more beloved and famous than even their championship winning ones depending on the circumstances.

Edited by Estil

7 hours ago, hyrulevyse said:

That was the story at the time in 2005 when he left Utah.  Everyone thought it was a foregone conclusion he was going to Notre Dame because it was his 'dream job', apparently even ND was shocked he went to Florida and had to go to Weiss as plan B.  That's just how I remember the media portraying it at the time at least.

I've always wondered if Kelly still would've left Cinci if they had gotten into the BCS championship game that year.

Kelly has mentioned in interviews that he would have stayed if the Bearcats made the title game. My guess is he would have coached the game and still left given how he walked out on the team.

On 11/15/2019 at 11:03 AM, Bearcat-Doug said:

I wouldn't mind seeing them play more often, maybe UC will get an ACC invite if they expand again. Three of the last four meetings since 2009 were bowl games. The last regular season game was in 2012 when the Bearcats won at FedEx field. Former UC AD Whit Babcock is still the AD at VT, so I'm surprised they don't schedule each other regularly.

Yeah, that's a good point.

Selfishly hope the ACC doesn't expand again - there are too many  teams now. The AAC is getting so much better though, been great watching you guys, Memphis, and the others make a splash here and there. 

We messed around and got ranked again even though we don't deserve it. Here's to hoping we knock off Pitt and UVA, then you never know, maybe we'll meet in a bowl again. 

Babcock is legit.

Cincinnati dropped to #19 in the new playoff rankings and Memphis passed them at #18. Cincinnati's one loss is to #2 Ohio State. Memphis lost to Temple and only avoided losing to Tulsa because they missed a game winning 29 yard field goal. This makes no sense, but Cincinnati plays Memphis in the last game of the season and likely again in the AAC championship game, but if UC was in a "Power 5" conference with one loss to the #2 team they would be in the top 10 even though the AAC has more top 25 teams than every conference except the SEC and Big 10.

1 hour ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Or none of the above.  I say that as a Pitt fan.

Though I guess we've been mediocre at football at least.  I'm sure none of those programs give them any real market, other than Cuse basketball.  Assuming NY state even gives a shit about that

It's all about TV markets for the networks. I doubt the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland because they were actually good at sports. It got the Big 10 network in the NY and DC TV markets.

Editorials Team · Posted
16 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's all about TV markets for the networks. I doubt the Big 10 added Rutgers and Maryland because they were actually good at sports. It got the Big 10 network in the NY and DC TV markets.

Like I said, markets.  ACC already signed their contract.  Expanding to 18 for low drawing American schools seems like a pipedream

22 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Like I said, markets.  ACC already signed their contract.  Expanding to 18 for low drawing American schools seems like a pipedream

There was talk of the Big 12 adding Cincinnati and Memphis to get back to 12 teams and create a bridge to West Virginia so that scenario would probably be the most likely for Cincinnati to get into a "Power 5" conference.

Outside of #6 Oregon getting upset last night it was a fairly uneventful college football Saturday. The Bearcats locked up a spot in the conference championship game, but if they don't get the offense together before they play Memphis Friday night, they are going to get crushed and have to play them again in the AAC title game.

The Bearcats/Memphis game is today at 3:30 on ABC so hopefully they can put on a good showing for the national TV audience and lock up home field advantage in the conference title game next week. They already locked up their spot last week, but still probably need to win out to get that Cotton Bowl spot.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:45 AM, diddles_mcbean said:

We've been dogs ass for two years, it's been embarrassing. Hopefully we get it together soon! We have to maintain 15 straight over UVA or else. Always liked Cincy and playing them, go cats.

Maybe they will play in a bowl game again after VT and the Bearcats both lost over the weekend. UC is still in the American Conference championship game this Saturday, but even if they win they have to hope that they get voted higher in the playoff poll than Boise State to get that Cotton Bowl spot.

20 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Maybe they will play in a bowl game again after VT and the Bearcats both lost over the weekend. UC is still in the American Conference championship game this Saturday, but even if they win they have to hope that they get voted higher in the playoff poll than Boise State to get that Cotton Bowl spot.

Buddy my weekend was ass. Lost the streak. Friday night I wanted to burn down my town. Saturday I couldn't even look at college football because she hurt me. Sunday i was hopeful looking at the future because we showed so much potential at times this season and we graduate ONE starter. ONE. And today I'm like meh, call me when it's spring game.

I hope the Bearcats get a good draw for a bowl, AAC needs some respect this bowl season. ACC sure doesn't.

19 minutes ago, diddles_mcbean said:

Buddy my weekend was ass. Lost the streak. Friday night I wanted to burn down my town. Saturday I couldn't even look at college football because she hurt me. Sunday i was hopeful looking at the future because we showed so much potential at times this season and we graduate ONE starter. ONE. And today I'm like meh, call me when it's spring game.

I hope the Bearcats get a good draw for a bowl, AAC needs some respect this bowl season. ACC sure doesn't.

I was bummed too, but with that group of 5 nonsense the Bearcats still need to win the championship game this Saturday to qualify for the Cotton Bowl bid. They only dropped two spots in the AP poll while Memphis moved up, so hopefully if UC wins on Saturday, the playoff committee will move them ahead of Boise State and Appalachian State since they would be 11-2 and with their two losses being road games at Ohio State and Memphis. I'm surprised how much that Ohio State loss kept them down in the rankings. If they played a middle of the road team and been undefeated going into the last game, they probably would have been in the top 10.

Edited by Bearcat-Doug

14 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

It's championship Saturday! Congratulations to any Oregon fans after they won the Pac 12 title last night. I'm hoping the Bearcats can beat Memphis this week and get the Cotton Bowl bid. Good luck to everyone that has a favorite team playing for a title today!

Even if they had, pretty sure Boise State would have gotten the nod over them.

I was excited that Ohio State was eating shit for a while, but wasn't surprised they ended up pulling it out.

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Even if they had, pretty sure Boise State would have gotten the nod over them.

I was excited that Ohio State was eating shit for a while, but wasn't surprised they ended up pulling it out.

I was thinking the same as the announcers that if Cincinnati had won, beating the #17 team on the road along with their only other loss being at Ohio State they would have gotten moved ahead of Boise State just based on their strength of schedule. Like they said, holding a road loss at Ohio State against Cincinnati is basically punishing them for scheduling tougher non conference schedule. Memphis got them on back to back weeks, so they deserved the win. I just hope the Bearcats end up in a decent bowl game. I was hoping Ohio State was going to get beat when Wisconsin, but I'm not surprised that they won with the way they've been blowing everyone out. Probably the best chance any team has left of beating them is LSU since I don't see Clemson or Oklahoma being able to do it (assuming those are the final two playoff teams). 

2 hours ago, nrslam said:

I find it funny that Ohio State, with a cast-off Georgia QB, and Oklahoma, with an ex-Alabama QB, are (probably) going to the playoffs while Alabama & Georgia aren't.

And that Ohio State might be going against their cast-off QB if they play LSU.