IGNORED

My Lost Zelda Collection...

Cloudy

Once upon a time I was heavy into collecting Zelda games and memorabilia.  A deployment (Army) later, my landlord evicted me, and auctioned off all my personal belongings.  Long story short, my lawyer contacted him with my military orders and I sued to recover my lost stuff.  While I settled for an undisclosed $$ amount, nothing can replace my personal things, I miss most my Army decorations and graduation degree, and sadly all my video games was lost forever.  Here is a picture of what my Zelda collection looked like.  I am slowly trying to rebuy everything one game at a time, but damn...does anybody see anything that may be irreplaceable?  =(IMG_1029.JPG.7188b7c96eec1d45f1935d8787c1c2e6.JPG

• Sad 10

That's sad, and all he got was a financial slap on the wrist for all that?  Disgusting.

I don't see anything at first glance you can't get back, but, that said you're in for a world of utter pain if you're going to attempt this in the current environment.  Seeing that you went for complete well...everything, you're way into the 5 figures territory to buy that back, hate to think how high into that too.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That's sad, and all he got was a financial slap on the wrist for all that?  Disgusting.

I don't see anything at first glance you can't get back, but, that said you're in for a world of utter pain if you're going to attempt this in the current environment.  Seeing that you went for complete well...everything, you're way into the 5 figures territory to buy that back, hate to think how high into that too.

The hardest things in that picture I probably won't recover would be like the Twilight Princess DS Trailer, and Zelda Adventure CD-I.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cloudy said:

The hardest things in that picture I probably won't recover would be like the Twilight Princess DS Trailer, and Zelda Adventure CD-I.  

To be honest with you, as more rare as they are, they wouldn't be the most financially painful to pick up.  If you've been out of it for say the last 2 years, grab a bottle of pepto and head on over and start looking at some ebay paid rates.  You'll find a racket being run by a small cabal of crooked assholes between grading and auctioning have wrecked untold havoc on game prices and the fall out around it.  Even common stuff is up heavily in price to where rare doesn't mean expensive, perceived rare is the most expensive.  You're looking to pick up a lot of uncommon and more so common Zelda stuff in a bullshit era where idiots are paying $1-2M dollars on Super Mario games (sealed mind you, but still.)

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Tanooki said:

To be honest with you, as more rare as they are, they wouldn't be the most financially painful to pick up.  If you've been out of it for say the last 2 years, grab a bottle of pepto and head on over and start looking at some ebay paid rates.  You'll find a racket being run by a small cabal of crooked assholes between grading and auctioning have wrecked untold havoc on game prices and the fall out around it.  Even common stuff is up heavily in price to where rare doesn't mean expensive, perceived rare is the most expensive.  You're looking to pick up a lot of uncommon and more so common Zelda stuff in a bullshit era where idiots are paying $1-2M dollars on Super Mario games (sealed mind you, but still.)

Oh I seen those and I can't justify paying millions on just a single game that can be played for a fraction of that lol.  But yeah with all that is going on in the world right now, I am just pacing myself with recollecting again.  I was on the hunt for a Zelda BOTW Master Edition, but damn people want over 1K for it used lol.  Maybe I'll get lucky here and there, but I'm in no hurry to get everything back again. 😃

• Like 1

Well then you'll be fine.  And you're doing it right.

Give up, but not.  Get whatever at whatever pace, but don't feed into this fraud bubble being currently exploited.  I know for old NA(VGS) members the argument of the bubble is going to pop year after year got old, but this is vastly different.  This is some beanie baby level stupidity going on here as which happened back in the 90s, and in the 80s with coins.  It can't be sustained, once a person or few persons balk on the prices it'll cause a panic and people will create a correction, a big one.  When you're in an environment when a real rarity like some third party unlicensed NES title or even Stadium Events doesn't get crap compared to a copy of Super Mario Bros that was run into the multi-millions, nothing is right much about anything anymore.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Besides the joy I would have felt if I got to see this in person?

I personally cannot say. As @Tanooki has pointed out, hunting for video game stuff right now is currently in a Montezuma's Revenge phase right now. But the same can be said whenever Lucasfilms canonizes something that was never truly official when George Lucas was in charge. As in the same f**king guy they ignored while they supported those who were claiming he had ruined the franchise. And all he said is that names like 'Slave I' is not part of his canon because the name was never used in his two trilogies. Which is literally up there on my reasons why any auctions done in a site like HA should be ignored if people truly value this portion of the universal hobby collective.

In all cases if my December plans are a 'go' I'll see if I can find anything that is either in your original collection, or you might want for your new one.

And before you ask, I like doing otaku-level recon missions. Along with the fact that I am preparing to start a budget for Renegade Games' official G.I. Joe roleplaying game. It's a long story. Which is why I will skip that and wish you luck on this new journey of yours. And that your worst moments are nothing more than fun stories you can tell us. 🍺👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It's super sad that you got basically robbed but what a nice Zelda collection! Sorry for your loss. That prerelease windwaker cover art (GameStop? shelf holder) is pretty dang hard to find as well as the other game store promo stuff you had like the standees and posters. What was that Wii labeled cardboard looking like a kiosk disc?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, drxandy said:

It's super sad that you got basically robbed but what a nice Zelda collection! Sorry for your loss. That prerelease windwaker cover art (GameStop? shelf holder) is pretty dang hard to find as well as the other game store promo stuff you had like the standees and posters. What was that Wii labeled cardboard looking like a kiosk disc?

If you are talking about the thing to the right of TP Wii, you are correct as it's probably the NFR kiosk disc for TP. It's also possible that it's the SS one as that came in the same sleeve.

The alternate wind waker cover art in the bottom left came from an issue of EGM.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My bad!! It's been a while, I remember seeing that cover art in a store and that's what was making me think it was a preorder shelf thing, but I do remember the egm covers (they did a halo 2 one that I always want to believe is a variant cover as well haha) thank you for the correction @0xDEAFC0DE and additional info on the kiosk disc.

What's below the kiosk disc and above the e3 2005 TP trailer? Looks like preorder pins or something? 

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
18 hours ago, Cloudy said:

Once upon a time I was heavy into collecting Zelda games and memorabilia.  A deployment (Army) later, my landlord evicted me, and auctioned off all my personal belongings.  Long story short, my lawyer contacted him with my military orders and I sued to recover my lost stuff.  While I settled for an undisclosed $$ amount, nothing can replace my personal things, I miss most my Army decorations and graduation degree, and sadly all my video games was lost forever.  Here is a picture of what my Zelda collection looked like.  I am slowly trying to rebuy everything one game at a time, but damn...does anybody see anything that may be irreplaceable?  =(IMG_1029.JPG.7188b7c96eec1d45f1935d8787c1c2e6.JPG

Was deployed my self and was expect this story to be one of a wife selling everything and running away with the money and no legal repercussions as they had power of attorney when they did it.  I'm sure you heard those stories your self.  Hell my parents fucked me over by NOT opening up my mail to pay my bills until one got posted as 60 days past due on the outside.  I had to live with that mark on credit report of 6 years before it finally went away though no fault of my own.   

I seriously hope to hell that the landlord got ripped off on the value of the collection and when you went to court you got him to pay the fair market value of the items in your collection.  Seriously, you don't fuck over a deployed soldier like this and not live with a massive penalty.  He could of put this shit in a storage locker for cheap and held it for any backpay was owed to him.  I'm sure you would of gladly paid any legit bill that was due.

Spoiler

71b27iAe79L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Glad you made it home from your deployment though 😉

Scouts out!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

Was deployed my self and was expect this story to be one of a wife selling everything and running away with the money and no legal repercussions as they had power of attorney when they did it.  I'm sure you heard those stories your self.  Hell my parents fucked me over by NOT opening up my mail to pay my bills until one got posted as 60 days past due on the outside.  I had to live with that mark on credit report of 6 years before it finally went away though no fault of my own.   

I seriously hope to hell that the landlord got ripped off on the value of the collection and when you went to court you got him to pay the fair market value of the items in your collection.  Seriously, you don't fuck over a deployed soldier like this and not live with a massive penalty.  He could of put this shit in a storage locker for cheap and held it for any backpay was owed to him.  I'm sure you would of gladly paid any legit bill that was due.

Hide contents

71b27iAe79L._AC_SX425_.jpg

Glad you made it home from your deployment though 😉

Scouts out!

1st Infantry Divisoin here brutha.  No this was quite a while ago, but he had put everything in a storage container and sold it off to some estate flippers or something I cannot remember, but all I got was what they were purchased at.  Most of the items were like Kiosk demos and posters, cutouts, so they didn't have value and I got nothing for them.  I barely got a few thousand out of everything, which in 2012 wasn't very much.  Oh well...I'll keep looking and building back as I can, but like everybody else has said so far...the market is just too high for some of the things I want.  Best wishes!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

If you are talking about the thing to the right of TP Wii, you are correct as it's probably the NFR kiosk disc for TP. It's also possible that it's the SS one as that came in the same sleeve.

The alternate wind waker cover art in the bottom left came from an issue of EGM.

I wish I can remember which EGM issue I got that from, I remember being able to find it before...but if you can help me with the issue number I'll certainly be on the lookout to repurchasing one.  Thanks!  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, drxandy said:

I remember having a bunch of Not for Resale Kiosk discs, acquired them from friends that worked at retail stores back then...my roommate worked for Best Buy and he used to get me a lot of neat things.  I remember owing a Wii, Wii U, and Playstation 4 Kiosk system when they had to rotate them out.  I kept the discs, and I had more than just Zelda ones too.  All of them are gone.  I recall having a Metroid DS one plus the actual kiosk too.  Man I sure wish I didn't lose them all, it's depressing =(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cloudy said:

I wish I can remember which EGM issue I got that from, I remember being able to find it before...but if you can help me with the issue number I'll certainly be on the lookout to repurchasing one.  Thanks!  

Looks like 193 (July 2005) but specifically the newsstand version.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 9:56 PM, Cloudy said:

Gosh I’m so sorry. What a terrible thing to happen. 

My advice is you probably won’t be able to get this all back at current prices, or you’d go broke trying. Stuff is so much more expensive and hard to find now. I had a similar situation but totally different where a lot of NES, SNES and N64 stuff from my childhood got stolen or destroyed and I just decided not to try to re-acquire it all because it was too expensive. Similarly I had some rare GB games that were lost and I can’t get back now. So I just focused on collecting other stuff. Like if you can find other Zelda stuff without breaking the bank then go for that. 

But maybe my advice will inspire you to prove me wrong so hey do what feels right 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Gosh I’m so sorry. What a terrible thing to happen. 

My advice is you probably won’t be able to get this all back at current prices, or you’d go broke trying. Stuff is so much more expensive and hard to find now. I had a similar situation but totally different where a lot of NES, SNES and N64 stuff from my childhood got stolen or destroyed and I just decided not to try to re-acquire it all because it was too expensive. Similarly I had some rare GB games that were lost and I can’t get back now. So I just focused on collecting other stuff. Like if you can find other Zelda stuff without breaking the bank then go for that. 

But maybe my advice will inspire you to prove me wrong so hey do what feels right 🙂

Yeah I may just try to sell off my non Zelda stuff and use it towards recovering some of my more favorite games.  Like Minish Cap was my favorite, and now it's so expensive.  I remember paying maybe $30 for it when it was originally released lol. 😃

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1