IGNORED

Super Mario Kart not working

austin532

Alright, so I have a Super Mario Kart that's not working and I can't seem to figure out why. The pins are clean and shiny, I can't see any broken traces, all of the pins are getting continuity, I reflowed the solder joints, and still get nothing. Not even a garbled screen or blank screen. Maybe I'm missing something obvious? As they say two heads are better than one so I'd like to hear another opinion on this.

Was this game previously working for you and it stopped working?

Or is this a newly acquired game that you have which was not working when you got it?

My guess is a bad trace.. this is often the problem even if you can’t see an visibly obvious broken trace. You’d need to test continuity between chips and pins to know for sure.

Alternatively, you could transplant the chips onto the board of a less desirable game with same pcb. If chips are still good then they’ll work on a known good pcb.. although this is frowned upon by collectors because it’s considered as a modification from original which will not always be obvious to the next person this game ends up with.

Edited by phart010

4 hours ago, austin532 said:

It's a newly acquired game. Sold as is so I took a gamble. I'll try giving it a second look for anything suspicious.

The board is exclusive to Mario Kart so I would have to swap it with another one.

Which at that point is basically just buying a new Super Mario Kart. 

At some point the patient must be declared dead, good doctor. 

Yeah, still not sure what it could be. I de-soldered all the chips off the board and I don't see anything obvious. Now I'm tempted to buy a cheap Mario Kart and swap out the chips to see if it works. If it's the game or the board well there's nothing else that can be done. If it's the DSP chip or Ram maybe I can ask and see if anyone has spares.

2 hours ago, austin532 said:

Yeah, still not sure what it could be. I de-soldered all the chips off the board and I don't see anything obvious. Now I'm tempted to buy a cheap Mario Kart and swap out the chips to see if it works. If it's the game or the board well there's nothing else that can be done. If it's the DSP chip or Ram maybe I can ask and see if anyone has spares.

If you've gone to the trouble of removing all the chips, have you tested the continuity of all of the traces?  That's the easiest fix if it's the problem and also the easiest to detect.