IGNORED

Super Mario Bros NES CIB 4th print sold $6,600.00

AnimalHouse

ebay link

Could someone shed light as to why this particular variant sold so high?

Do you suppose someone overbid because they really want this for there collection or believe they can flip it?

Do 4th print variants have no info on side flaps or was this an error misprint?

Thank you

Edited by AnimalHouse

1 minute ago, FenrirZero said:

I've seen this before, the seller has 2 accounts. Many of the top nes games are head scratchers. I think with the recent spike in HA sales. People think there games are worth the price point.

• Like 1

I think it was originallly listed as $5999 BIN then sent to auction?  Typically when that happens you may have someone bid one over the prior BIN price to "play it safe".  In this case two people went over that BIN price and one is probably very surprised they lost. 

Administrator · Posted
22 minutes ago, BortLicensePlate said:

Frig it’s happening to CIBs now? 
I still don’t have this game for whatever reason, are there any print runs that aren’t expensive? Like a super late print or something?

If condition isn't too important to you, there may yet be a chance.

• Agree 1

That's crazy. I remember seeing that auction when it was live and at $1K and thinking it was a nice copy. I'm pretty sure it's just people wanting to own minty copies of that game that are mainly in the "investing" and "speculating" area of "collecting" (if you can even call it collecting at that point). Maybe they have some menial level of appreciation for the games, but after the 2 million dollar 9.8 SMB that sold my guesses is that this $6K CIB one is just one of the side-effects of that and the insane collecting market.

Edited by nick

32 minutes ago, nick said:

That's crazy. I remember seeing that auction when it was live and at $1K and thinking it was a nice copy. I'm pretty sure it's just people wanting to own minty copies of that game that are mainly in the "investing" and "speculating" area of "collecting" (if you can even call it collecting at that point). Maybe they have some menial level of appreciation for the games, but after the 2 million dollar 9.8 SMB that sold my guesses is that this $6K CIB one is just one of the side-effects of that and the insane collecting market.

I made the mistake of buying one too many rare excellent to near-mint CIBs and now I want everything in my collection to be that way.

It's a disease.

• Agree 2