IGNORED

Best handheld for emulation?

LeatherRebel5150

N64 on a handheld is a bit of a big ask. There’s tons of good prebuilt handhelds that will work great up to PS1 on the cheaper side. If N64 is essential, you will be paying a bit more. Your best bet would be a raspberry Pi 4 build, You can find game boy like shells that are pretty well plug and play with a raspberry Pi 4. 

check out ETA prime on YouTube, he covers quite a few emulation handhelds

Ambernic/PowKiddy are the go to for retro handhelds.  Seems like they can smash 8 and 16 bit stuff, but emulation for N64 is more tricky and requires more power so your mileage may vary with that sort of stuff.

PS Vita is another good option esp if you are into Sony stuff since it plays both PS1 and PSP natively.

Actually noise nailed it for the current market stuff

Retroid Pocket 2 -- Just read this: https://retrododo.com/retroid-pocket-2/

Of those on the market it's the most capable and stable for running stuff more needy than the chipped SNES/PS1 level stuff.  It can handle n64 quite well and nicely.  Surprisingly it does PSP too, others that claim to mostly chugs or sputters unless they're low demand.  I can even handle Dreamcast and the DS too, though Dreamcast you'll need to load flycast and it's not the best, just the least worst so that's kind of the ceiling because Gamecube will work too but chug so not really.

If you wait it out another 1-2yrs as they start using newer chips instead of regurgitating the existing on some models/refreshes then you could consider gamecube capable being the next frontier.  Probably the Retroid Pocket 3 if it happens, when it happens.  I don't go for these things, but got curious and went info fishing a week back and this is the only one I'd waste money on given both its power and form factor too.

10 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

N64 is really the most recent console Id be interested in. So if something can or cant run Dreamcast or Gamecube has no real benefit for me

Then the Retroid Pocket 2 still is your best bet.  The slightly older chip using handhelds out at the same time/before, some can do the N64 pretty nicely, but not all games will run full speed, or they have problems.  Some can be overcome fiddling in the emulation setup by the game, but not always, and that's tedious unnecessary time wasting nonsense when this one can just do it from all accounts I've read.

6 hours ago, erac said:

Just be prepared, N64 emulation is not good even on PCs. On a handheld with some ARMs? Even worse. If playing N64 is a major part of your decision, there's no good option really, the custom portable N64s are rare and won't play other stuff.

That's fine I guess its not a hard requirement. Its more of the upper limit to my interests.

7 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

That's fine I guess its not a hard requirement. Its more of the upper limit to my interests.

Given the emulation advancements in the last few years though, and what of those got ported to android, I'd say 90-95% of the library is fair game.  Where you'll hit problems are the very aggressive/advanced micro code games, usually relegated to the Factor5 stuff which most emulators still pitch a fit over if you don't use a specific graphics plugin which would be the StarWars (Naboo, Rogue) games and Indiana Jones.  Much of the rest use the standard codes people cracked as far back as the late 1990s and have progressively bug fixed in the years since.  As long as you go in figuring you can play the 1st party games, Rare stuff (other than maybe Dino Planet?), and much of anything else there you should be fine.

Im torn between the Rg351 and the Retroid at this point. Ive watched alot of reviews and read stuff and it seems the Retroid can definitely do more but has a weird right stick and some have said the buttons are not great feeling. The 351 isnt quite as good but has better feeling controls and has the Dpad above the stick which seems like it would be a better configuration since it seems like Id be using the Dpad more often 

If you strongly feel the N64 isn't going to be of interest, stick with the 351 then.  Otherwise go with the Retroid.

Or wait on this new thing I've been made aware of called Odin, if it's funded, or maybe it already is, that thing will handle Gamecube level stuff nicely which opens some real doors.