IGNORED

VGA NES Black box / Silver box population reports over the years [2013, 2016, 2019]

blarky

3 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

Reserved Investments supported the belief that if you combine the populations of Wata and VGA, it would come out to like 500 some sealed games. I guess he didn't see these numbers, but I'm sure hundreds more poured in for VGA to grade since 2019.

hundreds more black box? maybe there is some correlation between the number of graded games and how many show up on auction sites.

it's all relative. if hundreds of black box got graded then a % of those hundreds got auctioned

5 minutes ago, CIBWholesale said:

hundreds more black box? maybe there is some correlation between the number of graded games and how many show up on auction sites.

it's all relative. if hundreds of black box got graded then a % of those hundreds got auctioned

I want to be clear that I do not believe there are hundreds more out there, just pointing out that the facts and data simply don't seem to support that theory.

5 minutes ago, Gulag Joe said:

I want to be clear that I do not believe there are hundreds more out there, just pointing out that the facts and data simply don't seem to support that theory.

i am just wondering if the % of black box graded are the same across wata and vga

like how mario, pinball, golf, are big % of the total

and stack up, and gyromite are big % of sticker graded black box

Edited by CIBWholesale

4 minutes ago, CIBWholesale said:

i am just wondering if the % of black box graded are the same across wata and vga

like how stack up and gyromite are the biggest % of graded black box

I'd think so. Perhaps the reason those 2 were the most graded is because they were the titles that had the lowest sales and were more likely to go unsold and ultimately sat in overstock.

Edit: I forgot Wata doesn't grade the bigger box games, so I stand corrected.

Edited by Gulag Joe

1 hour ago, Gulag Joe said:

Reserved Investments supported the belief that if you combine the populations of Wata and VGA, it would come out to like 500 some sealed games. I guess he didn't see these numbers, but I'm sure hundreds more poured in for VGA to grade since 2019.

It’s possible the numbers will double or more, but it doesn’t account for crosses between the companies and resubs. A better question is which company currently has more 20+ year old games in their cases. I would put money on WATA.

• Agree 1

Here is the WATA black box data, sorted by Total # of sealed games per title, smallest to largest.   

Also split out are the variants for each title (sticker sealed, hangtab, round/oval SOQ).  For simplicity's sake, I added matte and gloss stickers together, non-revA and revA for all Round SOQ, and R and TM for all Oval SOQ.

Super Mario Bros is by far the largest pop total.  But most of them (128/157) are Oval (white) seal versions.  Only 29/157 are Round SOQ or earlier.

There are 29 sticker sealed games here total, but due to social media postings, we know a good number of these were VGA crossovers (I'd wager at least half them, at the moment).

Minor notes:  DK Jr and Soccer only had 1 entry, so it didn't say the variant.  The Soccer was posted on social media and we know it's a sticker seal.  I don't know the DK Jr but assuming it's a Hangtab.  Tennis also shows a duplicate variant row for "Rev-A, Round SOQ", not sure if that's a mistake or not.  Gyromite also shows a regular "Hangtab" entry, which is confusing.  From what we know, this game is only possible to be sealed with a sticker seal.  So having just a stand-alone "Hangtab" entry indicates a sealed Gryomite that isn't a sticker seal... probably a mistake though *edit* not a mistake, these were NS but new HT, probably from a later deluxe set.

Title Sticker sealed Hangtab Round SOQ (all) Oval SOQ (all) Total
Donkey Kong Jr. 0 1 0 0 1
Soccer 1 0 0 0 1
Donkey Kong Jr. Math
1 1 0 0 2
Donkey Kong
0 2 1 0 3
Slalom
0 1 1 1 3
Urban Champion
1 2 1 0 4
Clu Clu Land
2 2 0 0 4
Volleyball 0 5 0 0 5
Wrecking Crew
0 1 3 0 5
Balloon Fight
1 3 1 0 5
Popeye
0 0 6 0 6
Ice Climber
2 2 2 0 6
Pro Wrestling
0 1 6 0 7
Tennis
1 1 5 0 7
Donkey Kong 3
0 6 2 0 8
Mach Rider
0 4 4 0 8
Gumshoe
1 7 0 0 8
Mario Bros.
1 2 6 0 9
Wild Gunman
1 8 1 0 10
Gyromite
8 2 0 0 10
Duck Hunt
0 2 9 0 11
Baseball
1 5 5 0 11
10-Yard Fight
0 2 10 0 12
Kung Fu
0 3 10 13 26
Excitebike
1 2 17 6 26
Golf
2 1 12 12 27
Hogan's Alley
2 3 21 2 28
Pinball
2 3 31 3 39
Super Mario Bros.
1 18 10 128 157

Edited by blarky
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

@blarky@CartChartWholesale just in case you didn't notice, the JSON that backs the human-readable tables is at https://www.watagames.com/populations/nes/nes_pop.json , for ease of calculation. For each dict in the "populations" array, if "state" is 0, it's from the 'sealed' table (1 is the CIB table, 2 is the loose cart table).

• Like 1