IGNORED

Original Doom v1.1 5.25 floppies "REGISTERED". 1993

drmoose00

3 hours ago, phart010 said:

My understanding is that original Doom floppies can be worth a hefty amount. But you have to find the pc game collectors that want them. I think the collector community around here is mostly into Console games

Thanks. Here is a pic in case anyone is curious. Man that was a fun game, the best was when we figured out how to connect two computers and do PvP.

Doom 5.25.jpg

• Wow! 1
  • Love 2

I don't have an exact value, but it is common though in saying that, don't get your hope in values too high on that.  PC game buyers from the old late 80s-90s stuff mostly care about not the game, just the rest, it's where they throw the insane money at it.  If you had the actual box to that, the manual, other random dumb inserts then it could get utterly insane as it mostly was just released on 3.5" and CD.

Keep in mind, though I may be off because of that very variable.  The 5.25" floppies are super super scarce.  Last april, complete in the original box, the game sold to some insane person with 9 bids on ebay for $5000.

A set of old 3.5s can be around $90-150 range on their own.  The complete game will hit around $1500 with those very same discs but also a patch floppy, without one did $400 so there's a huge questionable gap there.   So...the question here, how much are the 5.25's alone on their own, vs how much the specifically made box stickers/manual would be for the complete package too because they wouldn't mention 3.5 but 5.25 on those too.

Thanks for the feedback. I just saw that on Ebay, nice! Obviously I don't have that, wish I saved the box, I can picture it when I close my eyes, looking at that cover. Great illustration. 

The only difference is, the discs I have our the v1.1, which evidently was the very first. The Ebay was v1.2, I think.  It'd be cool if I could find a manual and box to make it a complete set. I really don't need to sell this, but seems the classic gaming market is pretty hot right now, might be a good time? who knows. thanks!

Awesome find. FWIW, the $5000 sale was a 5.25" v1.2. One also sold in 2020 CIB for $3100. The 5.25" v1.2 might actually be rarer than v1.1, but it's hard to say which is more valuable or if people even care. I'd certainly take v1.1 regardless of rarity. Another point of data is a set of loose master disks sold a couple years back (used in manufacturing but not the only ones) for like $1000, which is like the stone age now.

If you do want to complete it, you would probably have to buy a CIB Doom v1.1 and swap the disks, which may take a bit to come up and would be pricey. All the Doom boxes are the same AFAIK. v1.1 has a specific manual that's mostly black on the back (rather than the more common gooey reddish one). There are many variants of the addendum because they were photocopied and corrected over time. As long as you have an addendum, I don't think the price will matter because no one knows which addendums go with which versions, if it's possible to tell at all.

IMO it's difficult to a value on because it's hard to say how much more some big shot buyer would pay for the convenience of having the whole package CIB without hunting for nice components.  I personally wouldn't sell them outside of an auction to avoid underpricing them. I would pay like $1000 for them, so there's your floor, but I bet someone would pay more.

Also they've been counterfeited in the past so take good pictures if you do auction them.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Gloves said:

Soon enough my Diablo 2 war chest will be worth millions. MILLIONS! 

Ooooh really, I'm going to be a millionaire too??

I'm just happy I have a complete boxed copy of any old version of Doom at least, the Ultimate Doom. 😄

I do have older stuff that's worth into the 3 figures range, maybe more if this stupid stuff persists. The Simpson's Arcade Game doesn't come up often, got that one complete.

thanks for the advice everyone. I think i might try and get a hold of the manual and box, and either  keep it for fun, or probably put it up for auction. Getting a box is probably going to be difficult, although i did see a few v1.2 packages sold on Ebay in May and June for ~$400, that had the 3.5". Be really nice to just find a box. I think a manual would be pretty easy to get a hold of. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 4:38 PM, drmoose00 said:

thanks for the advice everyone. I think i might try and get a hold of the manual and box, and either  keep it for fun, or probably put it up for auction. Getting a box is probably going to be difficult, although i did see a few v1.2 packages sold on Ebay in May and June for ~$400, that had the 3.5". Be really nice to just find a box. I think a manual would be pretty easy to get a hold of. 

The back of a 1.1 manual is black. In 1.2 and all other versions, the back is red. That makes it tough to frasnkenstein a 1.1 complete copy. As far as I know, all boxes are identical.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, Tanooki said:

I don't have an exact value, but it is common though in saying that, don't get your hope in values too high on that.  PC game buyers from the old late 80s-90s stuff mostly care about not the game, just the rest, it's where they throw the insane money at it.  If you had the actual box to that, the manual, other random dumb inserts then it could get utterly insane as it mostly was just released on 3.5" and CD.

Keep in mind, though I may be off because of that very variable.  The 5.25" floppies are super super scarce.  Last april, complete in the original box, the game sold to some insane person with 9 bids on ebay for $5000.

A set of old 3.5s can be around $90-150 range on their own.  The complete game will hit around $1500 with those very same discs but also a patch floppy, without one did $400 so there's a huge questionable gap there.   So...the question here, how much are the 5.25's alone on their own, vs how much the specifically made box stickers/manual would be for the complete package too because they wouldn't mention 3.5 but 5.25 on those too.

The CD release is actually the rarest. 5.25" comes after that, and then of course the 3.5" is the most common. Of course any v1.1 Doom disks are great finds, but a CD almost never turns up.