IGNORED

Silverspoon's Sunday Discussion Topic #14: What was the very first video game you owned?

SilverspoonGaming

On 6/15/2021 at 9:59 AM, RH said:

This is a good perspective.  As I mentioned above, the family got a 2600 around 1986, but the first system I got that was my own was a Game Boy, and I remember getting a couple games with it.  My first, personal games were then Tetris, World Cup Soccer and Alleyway.

Now, the first games that were 100% mine that I bought with my own money were likely Game Gear games, after I saved up ages to get it.  I couldn't wait to get that system so I barely had enough to buy one without a pack in game, so my brother bought me Sonic 2.  That doesn't count.  I think the first game I bought with my own cash when it came around was either Jurassic Park or Star Wars.  I have fond memories of both.

I remember when I got my first Game Gear.  I was a lil late to the party cuz it was 1995, but I got NHL All Star Hockey.  I LOVED that game!

It sort of depends on how you look at it.

• Any one of about a dozen Atari 2600 games including Space Invaders, Defender, Combat, Pac-Man, E.T., Cosmic Ark, Vanguard, Baseball, Bowling, Golf and a few others -  My Dad bought an Atari 2600 right around the time I was born, and we owned about a dozen games for it before the NES was released.  I played these games on occasion, but I didn't really get into gaming until after the NES came out.  All of these games were bought when I was too young to truly remember, so they may or may not count.
  • Mario Bros./Duck Hunt - This is the first game that my family bought when I was at an age to actually remember getting it.  This game obviously came with our NES.  
  • Rad Racer - This is the first individual game purchase that I can actually remember, and happened about a month after we got our NES.  
  • Super Metriod - This is the first game I bought with my own money, but I bought it used and only paid $2 for it despite being CIB if you can believe that.
  • 2Xtreme - This was the first NEW game I ever bought with my own money and I purchased it the day after Christmas after getting a PS1 for Christmas.  I bought it based on the gameplay from the included demo disc.  This game probably isn't held in high regard by most people, but I still have fond memories of it.  

So depending on how you want to look at it, any one of those games could be considered my "first game."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

Super Metriod - This is the first game I bought with my own money, but I bought it used and only paid $2 for it despite being CIB if you can believe that.

I can believe that. I got Mega Man 6 complete with box and manual for $5 at a video store in 1995. Still have it (as well as my rental card):

mm6nes.jpg.7b37c6f1ffb2500435fa4b66bbee79ae.jpg

• Like 1

If we're just talking about "household ownership", my earliest video game memory (and my first home video games) was of the ColecoVision, which came to me with Donkey Kong and Looping. Loved 'em. I don't remember if I ever got any other games for the system, as it wasn't long after that my parents bought an Atari and I ended up spending most of my time with it instead.

If we're talking about "personal ownership", I bought a Super Nintendo (the greatest home video game console of all time...ahem) with my saved-up money on December 26th, 1991, which of course came with the Super Mario World pack-in. What a glorious day.

Edited by Webhead123
  • Like 1

You know I'm not sure it was my post that broke this into a realm of semantics or not, such as the post above about household ownership with my comment about the NES vs the Gameboy true ownership alone thing, but it got me thinking.  Technically if the NES didn't count, because it wasn't mine alone, at least for some years, I had some Tiger handheld games before the Gameboy existed, not much earlier.  But it would have been the old Tiger Baseball one, shortly after I ended up with the Castlevania II, Mega Man 2, and also Karnov ones (I think I had Gauntlet, or borrowed enough to think I did but either way...)  Maybe that's why I still like wasting my time on segmented LCD games some even now. 😄