IGNORED

Collecting Pricing / Trends / Speculation Discussion

segashack

All, noticed a thread about really high priced items and figured it would make sense to also have a general collecting pricing / trends thread. Here we can post about current trends or pricing as well as speculate on where we think pricing will be in the future.

So now (May 2021) I can say from personal experience I am noticing a trend of Wii and Playstation 2 prices starting to get higher. I am mostly looking at common/popular titles and not the sought after stuff, so I’m not entirely sure how the “rare’ Wii/PS2 games are faring. The prices aren’t close to getting into the crazy territory quite yet for most games on these systems, however popular titles that were a few dollars last year are now going for about 12-20 dollars.

I am not a collector personally, but utilized this period of time to start getting games I want to play or regretted selling back in the day. I’d rather jump in while the games I want are relatively fairly priced than risk the prices going high.

Someone locally had a Facebook Marketplace posting for “wii games”, I showed up and was able to get a lot of great titles, they were just clearing out their garage and were happy to get rid of them. I must’ve been the first to inquire because she told me that during the 10 minutes it took me to drive to her place 7 people had called her about the games and to her “they all sounded like resellers” and she was happy to sell to me because I seemed genuinely excited about the games. This also makes me think that the popularity of this generation of consoles is going up.

I am also seeing Nintendo DS prices going for a bit more than they used to be, I think that system may be another contender for picking games up sooner rather than later for those that are looking for certain titles.

Edited by segashack
  • Like 1

There is a theory that I noticed with collecting over the years that I’d like to call the “Gamestop Theory”. I feel that in many regards Gamestop is and always was the price setter for used games. 

In the early 2000s Gamestop / EB Games / Funko Land all carried classic games and consoles. Their prices seemed on par with ebay at the time for popular titles (most popular titles 10-20 dollars, RPGs/rarer titles for 30 dollars), for shovelware/licensed titles no one wanted you would have prices at ranging from 25 cents to a dollar for many games.

2004 is when Gamestop announced they would no longer purchase NES, Gameboy, PS1, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Dreamcast games. 2008 is when I saw the price of games from these consoles start skyrocketing online. I think this is also the start of the popularity of the youtube gaming era, a lot of which highlighted classic gaming.

Fast forward to 2012 and Gamestop discontinues trading in Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube games. Gamecube had started to become collectible before this discontinuation, but prices weren’t even close to the levels that would follow.

Now Gamestop currently sells PS3, Wii, DS, and Xbox 360 games, and I belive they still do accept trade ins, but each store has fewer and fewer titles from these platforms. I am almost certain that once Gamestop stops selling seventh generation games that in a few years a collector’s market on those platforms will follow.

I truly believe that Gamestop is an entity that can keep game prices normalized, so long as they sell them. What are your thoughts on this? Am I crazy for thinking this?

• Like 2

No

17 minutes ago, segashack said:

There is a theory that I noticed with collecting over the years that I’d like to call the “Gamestop Theory”. I feel that in many regards Gamestop is and always was the price setter for used games. 

In the early 2000s Gamestop / EB Games / Funko Land all carried classic games and consoles. Their prices seemed on par with ebay at the time for popular titles (most popular titles 10-20 dollars, RPGs/rarer titles for 30 dollars), for shovelware/licensed titles no one wanted you would have prices at ranging from 25 cents to a dollar for many games.

2004 is when Gamestop announced they would no longer purchase NES, Gameboy, PS1, SNES, N64, Genesis, and Dreamcast games. 2008 is when I saw the price of games from these consoles start skyrocketing online. I think this is also the start of the popularity of the youtube gaming era, a lot of which highlighted classic gaming.

Fast forward to 2012 and Gamestop discontinues trading in Xbox, Playstation 2, and Gamecube games. Gamecube had started to become collectible before this discontinuation, but prices weren’t even close to the levels that would follow.

Now Gamestop currently sells PS3, Wii, DS, and Xbox 360 games, and I belive they still do accept trade ins, but each store has fewer and fewer titles from these platforms. I am almost certain that once Gamestop stops selling seventh generation games that in a few years a collector’s market on those platforms will follow.

I truly believe that Gamestop is an entity that can keep game prices normalized, so long as they sell them. What are your thoughts on this? Am I crazy for thinking this?

This is a great theory and totally makes sense. If there is a a ready easy no-hassle buyer of used games, those games will remain in circulation rather than being put in the attic or thrown out. (Drastically reducing recirculating supply and leading to rising prices.)

-Brian

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

there are various similar sites but they all do essentially the same thing; automated scrape of listings on popular sites with very limited and not-terribly-accurate handling of things like cart-only vs. cib vs. sealed vs. graded, different prints, different regions, and conditions.

tracking prices in a truly accurate way is extremely labour-intensive and not very amenable to automation, so you aren't going to find any sites that do it for you for free.

• Like 1

I'm not dealing with games valued in thousands of dollars, nor am I dealing with complications of them being graded or sealed. 

I'm mainly just interested in selling some games (on here) that I no longer want, and I wanted to make sure that the prices I've tracked on Pricecharting were somewhat accurate.  I wasn't sure if something like the DigitPress value guide was even remotely useful anymore.

On 5/16/2021 at 11:12 PM, Robot_Ninjutsu said:

I'm not dealing with games valued in thousands of dollars, nor am I dealing with complications of them being graded or sealed. 

I'm mainly just interested in selling some games (on here) that I no longer want, and I wanted to make sure that the prices I've tracked on Pricecharting were somewhat accurate.  I wasn't sure if something like the DigitPress value guide was even remotely useful anymore.

Honestly I think its best to just go to ebay and look at sold listings. The pricecharting site is thrown off by things like demo discs or japanese copies.

• 2 weeks later...

Some interesting high end collectible auctions today at Sotheby's. The two most hyped stamps on the planet got demolished, millions under their estimates and what the seller paid for them. The 1933 Double Eagle coin sold for millions over the estimate, highest selling coin ever. Can't beat collectible money when you're selling to the money!

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/three-treasures-collected-by-stuart-weitzman

In the truest of 2021 fashion, it looks like the one-cent magenta is turning into a fractional share investing company. Own your own piece of the stamp that gone down a million dollars in 7 years of a bull market. What a deal!

https://www.1c-magenta.com/

Not sure if the what the actual wolves of Wall Street are buying affects the sheep of video game Wall Street, but I like watching this stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DefaultGen said:

Some interesting high end collectible auctions today at Sotheby's. The two most hyped stamps on the planet got demolished, millions under their estimates and what the seller paid for them. The 1933 Double Eagle coin sold for millions over the estimate, highest selling coin ever. Can't beat collectible money when you're selling to the money!

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/three-treasures-collected-by-stuart-weitzman

In the truest of 2021 fashion, it looks like the one-cent magenta is turning into a fractional share investing company. Own your own piece of the stamp that gone down a million dollars in 7 years of a bull market. What a deal!

https://www.1c-magenta.com/

Not sure if the what the actual wolves of Wall Street are buying affects the sheep of video game Wall Street, but I like watching this stuff.

I doubt this will affect video games. Most video game collectors (including myself) probably have no idea WTF these are.

EDIT: A corollary would be you could hand any of these to those pawn star guys and they could tell you everything about them, but hand them a video game or a pokemon card and they wouldn't have a clue.

Edited by tidaldreams

15 hours ago, tidaldreams said:

I doubt this will affect video games. Most video game collectors (including myself) probably have no idea WTF these are.

EDIT: A corollary would be you could hand any of these to those pawn star guys and they could tell you everything about them, but hand them a video game or a pokemon card and they wouldn't have a clue.

I think that the overall market for high end collectibles would also encompass the graded sealed games market. However, these high end sales mentioned don’t seem to indicate a trend. The stamp sold for much less than expected and the 1933 double eagle sold for much more than expected.

Side note, as collectors it would be good to get acquainted with at bare minimum the top #1 collectibles in a few categories of collectibles. I think everyone should know about the 1933 double eagle, it’s like knowing who Michael Jordan is even if your not into basketball 

Edited by phart010