IGNORED

May 2021 Read: All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka

Hey guys! This months read will run the same as last, seems to have worked well. We will read and discuss All You Need is Kill  through May and then the last week will run the polls once more. 

Feel free to compare book to move as well. I plan on watching it sometime this month as I haven't seen Edge of Tomorrow and its based on this book. 

All You Need is Kill by Hiroshi Sakurazaka

All You Need Is Kill

When the alien Gitai invade, Keiji Kiriya is just one of many raw recruits shoved into a suit of battle armor and sent out to kill. Keiji dies on the battlefield, only to find himself reborn each morning to fight and die again and again. On the 158th iteration though, he sees something different, something out of place: the female soldier known as the Bitch of War. Is the Bitch the key to Keiji’s escape, or to his final death?

13 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I'm incredibly behind, as I said - very slow reader. But regardless this will be added to my list.

no rush at all, please read at whatever pace youre comfortable with. 

Let me know if this pace is too much for anyone and we can make adjustments to the reading schedule for the group as a whole. 

Events Team · Posted

Just wrapped it up.  I enjoyed quite a bit.  Sci fi novellas are right up my alley.

Not sure if I can really compare to Edge of Tomorrow.  It's been a few years and I need to give it a rewatch.

But it definitely speaks to me as a gamer.  Particularly as an analog to my current game, Battle Kid 2.  

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted

Read it today by the pool and liked it. I saw the movie when it came out, so I knew the general concept, but couldn’t remember how it ended, if it even ends the same. Hope to watch the movie again soon.  More thoughts below. 

Spoiler

The concept seems fresh, the characters were all very likable in their roles. The ending seemed very hopeless though, and I think the fact that Rita has an intimate moment, the night before she suspects she will die speaks volume to me of the theme. That we can’t lose the human moments that cross our paths, as we continue to potentially destroy our planet. 

• Like 2

Editorials Team · Posted

Finished it.  It was good, and I like that the movie and the book both have their own identity.  They can exist as separate things.

I prefer the movie, but I also really like the movie, so that shouldn't be seen as a slight on the book.

And while I think the twist works for the book, it wouldn't have worked in the movie.  So I'm glad they didn't try and use it.

• Like 2

I just turned in my last paper of the semester yesterday and picked this up at the library, so hopefully I'll get it done over the next couple days.

I also picked up the Kiki's Delivery Service novel which came out a few years before the film. Stoked on that.

• Like 1

Great read, I'd give it 4/5. I liked it better than Colour of Magic (3/5) even if it is apples/oranges.

Spoiler

It was quick and really entertaining but once you hit the twist at the half way point, I felt like it lost all momentum to fill out Rita's backstory. I know it was necessary to raise the stakes for the finale but I think it could have been handled. And I understand the situation would be very alienating and finding someone to share your reality with can create some intense emotions, but did he really need to fall in love with her? Like, I saw it coming and was hoping I would be wrong. 

Just a little rant but still a good read.

Now to watch the movie.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...