IGNORED

Future of ps3 collecting

With the store closing, many are anticipating physical price increases, which makes sense. However,  with the recent news about some games no longer being able to download patches, what does that mean for collecting PS3

Personally for me, I see people still dealing in physical from a collector or nostalgia perspective but for playing these games, downloading patches and iso's for hacked systems is the future of playing them.  Thoughts? (Yes, I do see this as my moral excuse to download all the roms I want without owning a physical copy 😃)

I've always imagined some group of preservationists will set up a fake Xbox Live/PSN to download updates, at least once there is enough interest in replaying these games. It could be a real long ways off though. Insignia Project is recreating original Xbox Live, although that's in early stages.

For 90% of games there's a site where you can get the best-playing, most up to date version of these games though called steampowered.com.

I'm 99.99% certain that there will be enough of a PS3 community down the road to preserve patches for games and even create their own patches to fix issues that some developers never bothered to correct.  For many games, I can even envision custom fan made servers for multiplayer games.  As DefaultGen mentioned, this won't happen overnight, but it will happen eventually after Sony completely abandons the system.

So apparently this latest possible future crisis with the internal PS3/PS4 battery isn't as simple as just getting it replaced?  I mean I hope if nothing else they always allow you to connect the PS3 to synchronize the internal clock and update your trophy card at least.

Luckily on the PS3 front I was a very late, pretty much last minute adopter and got mine in 2016, the last of the Super Slim models...surely the battery should still be good for what, at least another ten years or so?

Edited by Estil

On 4/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, DefaultGen said:

I've always imagined some group of preservationists will set up a fake Xbox Live/PSN to download updates, at least once there is enough interest in replaying these games. It could be a real long ways off though. Insignia Project is recreating original Xbox Live, although that's in early stages.

For 90% of games there's a site where you can get the best-playing, most up to date version of these games though called steampowered.com.

I didn't know about that site. I'll check it out!

On 4/12/2021 at 6:13 PM, goldenpp72 said:

I suspect fans will come through and find a way to get patches out eventually, as usual. Since most people just collect and shelve it I don't think most will care, but it sucks for sure.

Yea, I agree, I just wonder how many patches will be lost to the ether. We probably won't really know until years from now.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:24 PM, Estil said:

So apparently this latest possible future crisis with the internal PS3/PS4 battery isn't as simple as just getting it replaced?  I mean I hope if nothing else they always allow you to connect the PS3 to synchronize the internal clock and update your trophy card at least.

Luckily on the PS3 front I was a very late, pretty much last minute adopter and got mine in 2016, the last of the Super Slim models...surely the battery should still be good for what, at least another ten years or so?

I don't see this as a difficult issue. I would bet once the server check gets reverse engineered, someone could manufacture a dongle for the network port that mimics a network and the psn servers for check in after a battery change.

On 4/12/2021 at 6:02 PM, DefaultGen said:

Nice...I just realized you meant steam. 

Administrator · Posted
On 4/12/2021 at 9:05 PM, TDIRunner said:

I'm 99.99% certain that there will be enough of a PS3 community down the road to preserve patches for games and even create their own patches to fix issues that some developers never bothered to correct.  For many games, I can even envision custom fan made servers for multiplayer games.  As DefaultGen mentioned, this won't happen overnight, but it will happen eventually after Sony completely abandons the system.

This already exists.