IGNORED

I guess Sony makes you serve your sentence consecutive not concurrent.

Blitus

My son got a 7 day suspension from the playstation network for inappropriate language in a message he sent.  I saw the message and he probably deserves a suspension for it.  I thought it was a good thing because he finally understands that his words have consequences.  Just as a precaution, I was going to restrict his ability to communicate through the PSN, so he didn't get suspended by accident.  He has Autism and doesn't always understand what is appropriate- although he knew better than to say what he did in this case.

A week later we are good to go right?  No, shortly after he got reinstated, they gave him a 30 day suspension for a different message he had sent way back in early February.

It doesn't seem right to suspend him again for the same thing since he hasn't committed any further offense since serving his first suspension.

I'd call and complain.  It seems a bit extreme to tell you one thing, then as soon as it's unlocked to slap another month on after the fact with no warning at all.  Explain the situation along with what he has, they may decide to do the right thing and just lift it with a warning.  If they were following their own rules it should have been 7 back when it happened the first time, then 30 if it happened again, not backwards in time.

• Like 2

Tanooki/ Silverspoon

I'd like to call and complain, but from searching on reddit it looks like these suspensions on top of suspensions aren't that uncommon and about the only thing fighting it accomplishes is spending over an hour on hold.

The second reason I am reluctant to fight it is because yes I did create a new account for him and it is obvious from the PSN id.  I don't want to risk getting the whole console suspended.

I won this PS5 from Burger King, but now I am wondering if I should have tried to win an XBox from Taco Bell instead.(joke, not trying to be obnoxious)

Edited by Blitus

Actions have consequences.  He harassed others at least twice bad enough to be reported.  That is two strikes, increasing the length of the second ban.  Let this be a learning experience, and be thankful he was suspended from a video game and not kicked from the team or fired from a job for cussing someone out irl.

Sounds like you should limit his communication settings to friends only.  Those people should be more understanding of his condition.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Blitus said:

A week later we are good to go right?  No, shortly after he got reinstated, they gave him a 30 day suspension for a different message he had sent way back in early February.

It doesn't seem right to suspend him again for the same thing since he hasn't committed any further offense since serving his first suspension.

So why wasn't he busted for the early February infraction in...I dunno, early February?   And if he tries the "the other guys were talking that way too!" excuse, you show him this...

4 hours ago, Estil said:

NO.  You'll get in REALLY big trouble if they catch you/him "ban/suspension evading".

Actually I don't see anything in the terms of service prohibiting this.  Lots of people have multiple accounts for various reasons. The suspension was for the account in question.

Still, Sony does have complete control over the situation and doesn't have to answer to anyone, so I don't want to push it.

He deserved a suspension and even if he plays on another account or a siblings account, losing access to his primary account with all his friends and progress is a substantial punishment.  I am also going to permanently block him from communicating through the PSN.  

Just so no one gets the wrong idea here- there is no victim.  The 2 kids that reported him are just as bad, they just had the sense to say it verbally rather than in type.  They didn't take offense at what he said.  They reported him to troll him and are now bragging about it.(verbally so no proof)

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Blitus said:

Actually I don't see anything in the terms of service prohibiting this.  Lots of people have multiple accounts for various reasons. The suspension was for the account in question.

Still, Sony does have complete control over the situation and doesn't have to answer to anyone, so I don't want to push it.

Well remember there isn't just the letter of the law, there's the spirit of the law too, along with the unwritten rules.  And indeed you don't wanna push it, IIRC won't Xbox reset your Gamerscore to zipola and brand you CHEATER on your profile if they catch you using cheating kinds of things?

• Wow! 1

18 hours ago, fox said:

Actions have consequences.  He harassed others at least twice bad enough to be reported.  That is two strikes, increasing the length of the second ban.  Let this be a learning experience, and be thankful he was suspended from a video game and not kicked from the team or fired from a job for cussing someone out irl.

Sounds like you should limit his communication settings to friends only.  Those people should be more understanding of his condition.

If they can't be arsed to mete out the punishment until now, I agree with some others here that the policy feels off. 

Let's be real about it: if the boy had been punished back in February when the infraction occurred, he might have thought twice before committing the second offence, and then we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

But their sloppiness as a whole in part allowed two infractions to occur, one that was unnecessary.

On a very different note, nothing wrong with using language to the fullest extent.

• Like 1

Oh I've got 2 or 3 Sony accounts because those ass-clowns for like a decade wouldn't allow you to rename the account so when I got fed up with what I thought was a temporary one that partly used my name which I disliked, I made another.

I'm not siding with crap talk kid here, but my beef is 100% with the backwards punishment.  I'm not saying they didn't do what they should have, it was just reversed and I think as such both demands an explanation, and also having the longer cut revoked because he didn't KNOW he got in trouble, they retrograde kicked his ass over some old crap.

• Like 1