IGNORED

Google Shuts Down Internal Stadia Development

What this means is they will no longer be developing any first party content, the platform will live or die solely on the reliance of third party game creators. I give it about 3 more months before every third party developer pulls out of this sinking ship and another Google product joins the graveyard.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-google-stadia-idUSKBN2A13QB

(Reuters) - Alphabet Inc’s Google said on Monday it would stop internal development of games for Stadia, making the cloud-based game-streaming service entirely dependent on titles from other game developers and publishers.

Stadia was launched in 2019 along with an internal game development unit that was expected to make titles for the platform.

The company said on Monday it was shutting down the unit due to the high costs involved in developing games that attract users.

"Creating best-in-class games from the ground up takes many years and significant investment, and the cost is going up exponentially," Phil Harrison, vice president and general manager of Google Stadia, said in a blog post. (bit.ly/2YDcfqQ)

Harrison also said that Jade Raymond, head of Google’s Stadia Games and Entertainment, would be leaving the company to pursue other opportunities.

Stadia saw a surge in users last year after the tech giant gifted two months of free access to its premium version to gamers sheltering at home due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Reporting by Akanksha Rana and Tiyashi Datta in Bengaluru; Editing by Aditya Soni

• Like 1

It’s funny you put this topic up - for my MBA second to last class I am in now we had to do a brand audit for PlayStation and Xbox (Nintendo was left out!) and advise a fake company on a marketing strategy for their fake game console. I responded to the teacher what if my advice was to not enter this market at all because it’s got doom written all over it. Now I just need to point at stadia for my case in point

Edited by a3quit4s
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, RH said:

This doesn't surprise me at all. Streaming your gaming experience always has been and always will be a bad idea.

I think it's a great idea if they can merge it with blockchain technology. If the games live on the blockchain on everyone's devices, then there's no downtime and no removal of games. Uptime would be solely reliant on your connection.

• Haha 1

Administrator · Posted
Just now, CasualCart said:

Whoa - really? I always felt like Google Glass is the tech of the future that everyone just sort-of abandoned haha.

-CasualCart

Yeah I made an app that told you what color you were looking at. It was intended as an accessibility and/or creative application. There was a little reticle in the middle of the Glass, and whatever was within that reticle, I grabbed the average color (out of around 16 pixels worth of data), and showed on "screen" optionally either the hex value, or an approximate name (e.g. "deep sky blue"). I was working on making it save the hex value when you say something like "Hey Glass, save this color", but I didn't get quite that far before having to move on to other projects. The intention with the latter part would be that a digital artist could be like "I like the color of this flower" and then save that color for later if it inspires them.

Graphics Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

Yeah I made an app that told you what color you were looking at. It was intended as an accessibility and/or creative application. There was a little reticle in the middle of the Glass, and whatever was within that reticle, I grabbed the average color (out of around 16 pixels worth of data), and showed on "screen" optionally either the hex value, or an approximate name (e.g. "deep sky blue"). I was working on making it save the hex value when you say something like "Hey Glass, save this color", but I didn't get quite that far before having to move on to other projects. The intention with the latter part would be that a digital artist could be like "I like the color of this flower" and then save that color for later if it inspires them.

Sick - that would've been great for people with color-blindness, too.
Finally a way to play Uno for anyone that can't distinguish between the colors on each card.

-CasualCart

Administrator · Posted
44 minutes ago, CasualCart said:

Sick - that would've been great for people with color-blindness, too.
Finally a way to play Uno for anyone that can't distinguish between the colors on each card.

-CasualCart

That was exactly the intent. I'm pretty big on accessibility in general, so I like making tools that assist with that. 

• Like 1