IGNORED

Any concern on this MTPO box on ebay?

Ninja Warriors

I have been following this auction as well and the pics are definitely suspicious.

1. The colors pop way too much, especially the reds and whites. Unfortunately, a lot of people have been punching up the color on their items with auto-HDR on their smartphones to try to make boxes look better than they are. So this isn't a smoking gun, but it is suspicious.
  2. The plastic wrap is a reseal. The way it's partially torn is a good way to hide that, but it's clearly not an H-seam if you look closely.
  3. The side where the cardboard comes together on the back right looks suspiciously straight and seems more prominent than usual. This is just kind of a feel thing from looking at thousands of boxes.
  4. The cardboard material is gray-ish, but looks off. Could be from the auto-HDR, but I can't tell.

I think this is one of the newer, better repro boxes. The seller may not know, but he also has an LoZ: LttP that looks suspicious.

I would not bid on this one. Or if you want to chance it, ask for more photos with auto-HDR turned off. If you do purchase and it turns out to be a repro, eBay will side with you if you initiate a dispute.

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

It's fake for all the reasons above. If you want another obvious one, the back of the box is wrong. That's the back from later variants. It should say "Boxing tips from the champ inside" not "Special tips from the champ inside"

Damn, dude, I didn't even know about that! Always more to learn. Here's a legit back side from a recent sale.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by DoctorEncore

Moderator · Posted

Figured I'd chime in. The box 100% looks suspicious. If I'm right, as mentioned, this is a newer style of repo boxes that is made with "cardboard" paper and not just 14pt whitestock.

This pic makes me uncomfortable too. The black is washed out and the yellow is blurry. Looking at my copy, the black is a pure dark black with no hints of white/grey.

Finally, the plastic seal isn't an H-seam, and whomever opened this removed the Tyson letter and manual? Seems odd.

I'd advise anyone to steer clear of this auction.

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I don’t collect for Ntsc NES, but I would also like to chime in. Nowadays you need to also look at the seller’s feedback.

Low amount of feedback with a few negatives, and selling high end items....this screams “ALERT!” to me.

Also when you see a basically brand new condition item, it’s a low probability it’s missing other components. So putting everything together, if you plan to bid, GTFO!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...